Should I be concerned about this? What could have caused this?

Let me start out by saying I've been taking low dose birth control pills for 3 years. I'm 18, sexually active, never had any major problems with health.

My period was the 10th-13th of December, it was really heavy and I even had spotting a few days before which is completely normal. I started a new pack of pills the 14th and took a week's worth, but in the middle of the week I started feeling a little nauseous, so I took a whole week and few days worth and I stopped taking them because my nausea kept getting worse and worse. I stopped taking them the 22cnd. I always start a totally normal period if I miss a few pills. The 27th I noticed a little gooey, stringy type red blood come out, then I didn't bleed anymore, but thick, dark brown, gooey/sticky discharge came out(enough to fill up a pad a day) and stopped yesterday.

Should I be concerned about this? It's never happened before.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Well, I'm not sure.  Low dose birth control pills can have some bleeding associated with it but you have been on these same pills for 3 years, so it would be odd it just now started.

I'm also not sure what to tell you for restarting the pills.

I think your best bet at this time is to go back to your doctor for a pelvic exam/pap smear and tell them what happened.  discuss the nausea, the discharge/blood,, etc. and get their professional interpretation of that.  Then you can discuss your next step along the birth control road.  good luck