Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.9k Members

Should I be concerned about this? What could have caused this?

Let me start out by saying I've been taking low dose birth control pills for 3 years. I'm 18, sexually active, never had any major problems with health.

My period was the 10th-13th of December, it was really heavy and I even had spotting a few days before which is completely normal. I started a new pack of pills the 14th and took a week's worth, but in the middle of the week I started feeling a little nauseous, so I took a whole week and few days worth and I stopped taking them because my nausea kept getting worse and worse. I stopped taking them the 22cnd. I always start a totally normal period if I miss a few pills. The 27th I noticed a little gooey, stringy type red blood come out, then I didn't bleed anymore, but thick, dark brown, gooey/sticky discharge came out(enough to fill up a pad a day) and stopped yesterday.

Should I be concerned about this? It's never happened before.
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342342773
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Well, I'm not sure.  Low dose birth control pills can have some bleeding associated with it but you have been on these same pills for 3 years, so it would be odd it just now started.

I'm also not sure what to tell you for restarting the pills.

I think your best bet at this time is to go back to your doctor for a pelvic exam/pap smear and tell them what happened.  discuss the nausea, the discharge/blood,, etc. and get their professional interpretation of that.  Then you can discuss your next step along the birth control road.  good luck
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.