Sore, swollen lump on inner thigh by bikini line

A few days ago I noticed a sore, reddish swollen lump on my left inner thigh, right along my bikini line. It has since gotten larger (about the size of a nickel, and more elongated now).

It only feels sore if I press on it or rub against it. It seems like a soft lump that moves around with the skin. Last night I applied a warm washcloth to it for about 30 minutes, which made it feel better.

Could this be a swollen lymph node, or maybe an ingrown hair? It is located in the area where I shave daily.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
i have the very same thing. i was told its a boil, caused by, yup, ingrown hair. apply hot cloth or hot bottle once a day for half hour.  for a week or so, should come to head and drain puss, do NOT squeeze.
Thank you for your response!

I decided to visit the Dr. yesterday to have her check it out, and she said it was a Sebaceous Cyst that had ruptured under the skin. It sounds a lot worse than it really is, when it ruptures it just speads out and flattens so that it's not a huge bulging bump like it was before it ruptured. It can be caused by an ingrown hair, a clogged gland, or bacteria that gets into the skin after shaving with a razor.

She told me to put a warm washcloth on it once or twice a day and it should go away in a couple of weeks. The soreness and swelling has already subsided, now it just looks like a flattened red lump.

She said the cyst will return to normal size and will remain under the skin, so this could happen again. If so, I may need minor surgery to remove it. But overall, nothing serious. :-)
I'm glad you went to the doctor. I believe that boils are Sebaceous Cyst's. It does sound like we are talking about the same thing. This is the seccond time I have had this boil. I had it once in 2003. It did go away quickly, so quickly I forgot all about it. Then this year about 1 month ago it came back and was 4 times the size of the first one. the size of a dice. So I grabbed for my British Columbia Health Guide Handbook. It gives you an idea of what's wrong, befor you see the doc. The book made it sound like no big deal, and does say it can come back, but doesn't mention any surgery's needed. so now I am curious too about how serious this is, because the health handbook reads...A boil is a red, swollen, painful bump under the skin, simular to an overgrown pipmle. boils are often caused by infected hair folicals. Bacteria from infection form an abscess or pocket of pus. The abscess can become larger than a ping pong ball. Boils occur in areas where there is hair chafting. the face, neck, armpit, breast, groin, and buttocks are common sites.....then it goes on to treatment with cloth. doesn't mention any serious outcomes like surgery. Thankyou for your information also because now I think i will phone my doctor and ask her if its serious enough for surgery, or just a big pimple?
The surgery is just a lancing of the boil. They will inject lidocaine to numb the area, open it, drain it, possibly suture depending on the size of the boil, and bandage the area. It will continue to drain a bit for a few days and they will probably tell you to put some type of ointment on it such as neosporin. It is a VERY minor procedure.
Ah yes, it does sound like we're talking about the same thing!

My doctor didn't go into details about the surgery because it's not something I need to have done at this time, but it sounded to me like a minor procedure, not something serious. She did say that the surgery would leave a small, visible scar.

Here is some information I just found online on About.com:

"Sebaceous cysts most often disappear on their own and are not dangerous. Occasionally, they may become inflamed and tender. Sometimes sebaceous cysts grow large that they may interfere with your everyday life. When this happens, surgical removal in your health care provider's office may be necessary. Small inflamed cysts can often be treated by injection of steroid medications or with antibiotics."

So it sounds like a rather quick, in-office procedure and only necessary if the cyst keeps coming back and becomes a nuisance.

this boil or cyst, when it happens to pop(on its own), a combination of blood and pus does happen to come out, right? The reason for my asking is because I have the same thing, and I cleaned the area with an antibacterial soap (Dial). Well, a few hours later, I noticed I had a blood spot on my panties.  I didnt know where it came from so I checked in that area.  Sure enough, that little pimple, bump whatever it is popped and a combination of blood and pus came out.  It was real thick.  Its craZy because the sad thing is is that i have NO insurance.  Help!
Sometimes they do pop on their own, other times they never pop but just subside and spread out and flatten (like mine has done.)

The stuff inside is a combination of dead skin cells and oil from your skin, which is what the 'white' stuff is. It is usually kind of thick and oily when it comes out, and is sometimes mixed with a little blood.

I think washing the area gently once or twice a day with antibacterial soap is a good idea. You might also want to apply an antibacterial ointment to it like Neosporin to keep it from becoming infected. I like the Neosporin with Pain Relief, the pain relief medicine really helps.

Then keep an eye on it, don't squeeze it or mess with it other than cleaning it when needed, and it should subside and go away shortly. You can also try applying a very warm washcloth to the area for 20 - 30 minutes, this usually makes it feel better and will help it heal faster.

If it starts getting worse rather than better or if it becomes more painful, you might want to have it looked at by a doctor to make sure infection hasn't set in. But most likely it will clear up on its own.

Mine has improved greatly since last week, it it healing nicely and no longer hurts or looks red and swollen. What a relief! :-)

Hello, Just recently i noticed a dime sized black(ish) lump on my bikini line, I do shave frequently.  I had tried to clean the infected area, which did puss a little.  It has now sunken far below the surface.  The lump causes only minor pain.  Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? Thanks!

I have the same thing. I think. It hurts SOOOOOOO Bad. It really hurts when my panties rub up against it. It seems like it getting BIGGER. I  have my hood pierced. Im wondering if this is the reason its causing it! Please help me out. It is affecting my sex life. I think Im scared or something.

HELP!
I am so glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem.  I keep getting them over and over again on my bikini line.

Was anyone who visited or talk to a dr/nurse given advice on preventing them??  I wonder if laser hair removal is an option.  At this point, I'd go for that if it would stop these painful lumps.
Hello...I just found once if these bumps and I'm kinda freaked out about it. Idk how to tell my mom...and I don't want to if I can prevent it with a warm wash rag. If it gets serious I will have to say something so we can schedule an appointment.
That's why I did laser hair removal for my bikini area, I am so tired of the lumps after I shave.  So far so good, and I don't have to shave very often anymore either.
Oh thank god there are others having this problem, mine has reoccured 3 times in the last couple of months.

I use hair removal cream instead of shaving, do you think it's that that's making it worse??
Hello!

I was pregnant and at the last two months of my pregnancy I got what I thought it was a pimple and I thought because I was so fat that my legs rubbing together that is got bigger. Afte the baby was born it was still there.   4 months later (8/05) I went to my internal Dr. and she said it was a boil and gave me some antibotics for 3 days.  I did make it very small but it didn't go away.  So I went to a surgen and he said that because it has been there for 4 months we should have it removed.  So tomorrow I go in to have it removed.

It is on my inner right thigh (like panty line) Wonderful place to have someone looking around at.  It is pretty small but it is really dark purple right now and looks like it is filled with something. The weird thing is that is gets small and then big and small again and now it is purple.  Weird I just want it removed.

So I will fill you guys in when I have it removed.  I think it is either an infected piece of hair or an infected zit.  Either way I don't want it there anymore.

I did the applying of hot compresses and it did make it smaller but I don't have all day to do that.  Wish me luck