Sore breasts

Last month when I had my period, my breast started to hurt and hurt until after it was over. A week and a half later, they hurt all over again. I checked for lumps, nothing. What could it be?
To add to my question below, I know I'm not pregnant. I get my period on my regular days
The various causes of breast soreness are fibrocystic breast disease, ductal ectasia, mastitis(inflammation of breasts),galactoceles, benign and malignant pathologies of breasts, referred pain from liver or musculoskeletal system, arthritis of the ribs,costsochondritis and inflammation or sprain of pectoralis muscle.

I feel that an examination by a gynecologist will be the best. Till that time, apply some warm compresses on the breasts and take some over the counter pain reliever(analgesic) like ibuprofen or diclofenac.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.