Spotting between periods?

My periods have never been irregular and I have been tracking them religiously for the past 6 months and now, this month I recently started my period on December 8th (five days later then normal) and it ended on the 12th.  I had unprotected sex with my husband on the 11th.  Went three days without a period and started spotting again on the 16th. It's not heavy and started as clear mucus with bright red streaks and then spotting more with activity.  It has gone on like this still for the past 5 days. What could be the culprit? I'm 35 and healthy and currently not on any birth control pills; I've had two kids, but they are now 10 and 12.
It just could be you period not being regular or, as you had unprotected sex, sorry to be so blunt, it may be a threatened miscarriage.  Only time will tell.  So just keep an eye on things.

I suggest though that you see your doctor with regard your irregular periods as your hormones may be out of balance.  Sometimes if a woman has low iron levels, that too can cause period problems.
Thanks...I made an appointment but with Christmas days away, it's not until Monday...I'll have to wait it out. I've had a miscarriage before and it doesn't seem likely since I've already had a complete cycle and it's nothing like what I experienced before; I guess anything is possible. With ovarian cancer running in my family I just worry. It could be hormones or stress, but guess I'll have to wait to find out.  Was not spotting earlier in the day and thought it ended, but was making cookies with the kiddos and bam, bleeding bright red again! Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's been driving me crazy!
Try and still have a great Xmas with your children.

Even if the spotting stops between now and until you get your appointment, still keep your appointment.  Tell the doctor your concerns.
He/she should do blood tests to check for hormone imbalance and any low iron levels and refer you to have an ultrasound scan done.

Enjoy the hols.  
Let me know how you get on.
Best wishes.
I continued to spot for 7 days straight, on and off but it finally ended and I felt normal after that; with mild headaches and very fatigued. Had my appointment at the gyno yesterday and he said that it could possibly be anything; not ovulating, ovulating early, stress, etc. had a pap, which is good since its been 5 years since my last one, and talked about getting an IUD again; had Mirena perviously and took it out...happy to get it again as I never had periods with it the last time; just have to wait till I get my period again to have it inserted. Told me I'll get results back within a week. I called my husband after my appointment and he said he was afraid I was pregnant (we don't use contraception) and then he gave me a panic attack! Now I'm freaking because I didn't consider it and searching the Internet (because I can't help myself!), it's possible  that you can ovulate right after your period and I didn't take a pregnancy test at the office and I'm not due for another 10 days, so now I'm thinking I will have to wait till I'm a little closer to get an early pregnancy test to make sure I'm not...ugh!
Spotting between periods could be caused by uterine polyps. You should ask your gyno to do an ultrasound to rule that out before you get the IUD. The IUD helps for bleeding but only if your uterus is clear of polyps and/or fibroids. Otherwise you'll still have bleeding issues anyway even with the IUD.
Would they be able to spot that by doing the pap? I mean he said everything looked normal...or could it be inside the cervix and that's why it doesn't present itself? I will be asking before I make the appointment if I get the IUD, but just wondering.