Stopped birth control pill after 5 years...losing hair...link?

I recently stopped taking birth control and for the past few weeks have noticed an increase in my hair falling out. I have naturally thin hair and thinning spots due to genes, but I am getting worried that too much hair is falling out. Does this have to do with my stopping the pill and if so, is this going to be a permanent problem?
Anything will help, Thanks!
HI HAVE YOU TALKED TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS PROBLEM?DOES ANY ONE IN YOUR FAMILY HAVE THYROID PROBLEMS?YOU MIGHT NEED TO HAVE YOUR THYROID HORMONES CHECKED.HAVE YOU BEEN LOSING OR GAINING WEIGHT.HAVING SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR THYROID WILL CAUSE YOUR HAIR TO FALL OUT.HAVE YOU BEEN TIRED MORE LATELY?YOU NEED TO CALL AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
Thanks for the comment..I started a job recently that has me pretty tired (up at 5 a.m.) and it might be that my being tiresome is combining with the pill stopping. Thanks!
HI AGAIN BIRTH CONTROL PILLS "DO NOT" CAUSE HAIR LOSS.I STILL RECOMMEND GETTING YOUR THYROID LEVELS CHECKED.HOW OLD ARE YOU?DON'T BE EMBARASSED TO SAY ON HERE IT IS ONLY WOMEN AND WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST AGE.YOU DIDN'T SAY IF YOU HAD BEEN LOSING OR GAINING EIGHT WHEN YOU POSTED BACK IN.ANY MORE INFO YOU NEED I'LL TRY TO HELP TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
I'm 22 and haven't been experiencing any weight loss/gain. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. If any pertinent information comes up, I'll be sure to share it. Thanks again.
I'M GLAD YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR TOMORROW.ALL I CAN SAY IS TELL YOUR DOCTOR WHAT IS GOING ON.THIS IS JUST A PATIENT TO PATIENT FORUM WE ARE NOT DOCTORS,WE ONLY GIVE ADVICE.YOU CAN EITHER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
I have to differ with DavidsGirl.  I was on Ortho for 4 years, I'm now 35 and I experienced hairloss. Not only was it loss, it was a change in the complete texture of my hair as well.  I used to have a lot thicker hair, now it's very fine and relatively thin. After about 5 months being off the pill, the hair loss lessened, but regrowth has never come for me.  

Hair growth is hormonal so it only makes sense that some people may experience hair loss as a result of altering their hormonal state.  Pregnant women often experience hair loss either during or after pregnancy.  It does happen, though how to address your situation is always a personal decision.  Personally, I have discontinued use of any birth control, but I'm married and ready to start a family, so that works for me.  There are countless chats on line about people in your shoes.  My advice?  Take everything with a grain of salt and talk with your doctor.  If he/she is unhelpful or unwilling to consider your health options, seek either medical or professional assistance elsewhere.  

Suggestions: Be responsible for knowing what goes into your body and what the risks are.  Meat and milk these days are full of growth hormones... any links?  Could be, but find out what is best for you.  Believe it or not, mineral oil and biproducts can affect your hormones.  Read all you can, ask questions and stay grounded.  You certainly have my sympathy as you are going through this.  I know it can really be distressful. I wish you the best.