Stretch Marks

I has my first child 14 months ago.  I got stretch marks only in the breast area and bum area.  I got them the last week of my pregnancy.  My husband and I are THINKING of trying for another child in the next year.  

I know stretch marks will come no matter what you do.  Does anyone have any advice on how to TRY to protect themselves from them?  I used cocoa butter during my pregnancy and had a very bad reaction to it.  Does exercise and weight lifting help during pregnancy?  any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Gina
Moisturizing is the greatest therapy for stretchmarks. After the shower use lotion, and you might want to try some Vitamin E oil and Aloe Vera gel. Use it everyday and your marks will start going away. :o)
thanks for your input!

anything for prevention?  same thing I assume.
yeah, pretty much just keep your skin healthy, excersize, eat right... and if you still dont like the way you look, there is always lazer dermantology and tummy tucks.
:O)
Try emu oil, its comes from ostrich(however its spelled) I know it works wonders on scars, so I can imagine its good for stretch marks.
I'm sorry, there's nothing you can do to prevent stretch marks.  

You're genentically prone - no matter what the lotion commercials say.  

And since you had them during your first pg they will reappear, probably even earlier, during your second pg.

Good luck!  They suck, I know!
I cant give personal acclaim, but try Shea butter.  Be careful to buy 100% (it's still ok if it's scented with oils) and not just a lotion that claims to have shea butter in it.
strectch marks are pretty much hereditary and/or common during pregnancy, weight gain. i remember when i was about 6 month pregnant (no stretch marks) even the dr. commented "wow, youre lucky". well, the next month i saw all these purplish lines all over the sides of my belly. i knew the answer to what these things were when i went in for my next appt... stretch marks! i still have them of course but they are more of a silver/white and not as noticiable. i tried everything to prevent them (cocoa, shea butter and lotion specifically for stretch marks) and still got them. i did gain a LOT of weight during my pregnancy (i started off at 122 pounds so im sure that didnt help). you can try to do the things suggested but im afraid to say most likely they will not work. you'll smell nice and be all soft and supple thats about it.
How much did u gain?  I started at 110 and went up to ALMOST 150.  Back down to 115-120 now.  Only got the marks on my boobs and bum.
well, i started at 122 and when it was all said and done i weighed about 164 in my 9th month! OUCH. i am about 138 now (give or take a few  pounds) and my daughter is almost 4. i dont exercise (cuz i hate it) bad i know but my goal is to lose about 8 more pounds. i think i was way too thin back then.
122 to 164 is not that bad.  My best friend gained 60-some during her first pg.  :-)
Stretch marks are soooo hard to prevent!  I got them pretty bad on my stomach with my son.  I did everything possible to prevent them. Lotions, creams, etc., but it did no good.  I gained A LOT of weight and was all belly. My son was 11 lbs at two weeks early though, so that had a lot to do with it. Also, fair skinned women, especially red heads get stretch marks a lot easier than others.  I have used Mederma on mine and it has worked wonders.  Most have disappeared completely and the others are barely noticeable!  

alright, alright.. so when it was all said and done i weighed 170...not 164. lol! no, i went to check in my little journal that i wrote in throughout my pregnancy and always wrote my weight. thats what it said at my last dr. appt. before i gave birth. even one of the dr.s that i had commented on how much weight i was gaining. so i always took that as too much. owell.  actually, it was fun reading the journal again. (saw the part about the stretch marks).
Ladies,
Reading about everyones stretch mark experiences reminded me of something I noticed. I have two boys and three girls and the girls gave me really bad marks on my butt, hips, and breast where the boys layed them all out on my tummy all the way down to the pubic bone. It made predicitng the sex VERY easy after the first 2 . Which was girl then boy, boy, girl, girl. Anyone else notice the sex of the baby affecting the local of the marks? I'm just curious, sounds like an old wives tale.
Oh and I've seen the commercials for the Mederma, think it'd work 9 years postpartum? LOL
Have a great night!
well, i have a girl and the majority of my stretch marks are on my sides of waist. if i place my hands upon my hips thats where they are. hmmm?
I think you either just get them or you don't. I have heard though that the longer your pregnancy goes on, the more vulnerable you are to getting stretch marks or getting more stretch marks. Makes sense because the baby gets bigger with time, hence, causin your skin to stretch. I barely had any in my 8th month and by 39 weeks my belly was covered. I delivered 9 days late which definitely didn't help!
heres a positive comment i would like to share about stretch marks. yes, i said positive. i was "with" my husband last night if ya know what i mean...i kept asking him to turn the lights out and he didnt want to (you know how visual men are). anyway, i said i didnt want him to see me and he couldnt understand. i reminded him: scar from cesarean, and stretch marks. he sweetly said, "stretch marks from pregnancy and a scar across your belly are all from our baby girl. how can that not be beautiful?" either he was really "worked up" or simply sweet. the lights still stayed off!!! LOL
Exactly!! The girls all made my hips S P R E A D where the boys tended to be ALL belly. I think we're onto something here. LOL
LMBO
Our husbands sound VERY simular. He has said the same words to me. But as sweet as it is WE still don't buy it. LOL
i think you are right about boys give you lots of stretch marks because my sister who had a girl last year had no marks at all and this year she had her baby boy on 09/12/05 and she has marks all over her belly and she was all belly with him so yes you are really on to somthing
also i was just talking w. a woman i work with last night and she mentioned she had stretch marks all on her sides and towards her belly...its a girl!
hi.
I had my first baby only 7 weeks ago and i got stretch marks round my belly, my breasts, top of my legs, and top of my arms, i got mine in the ast couple of weeks in my pregnancy, i had to have a C section so it feels worse for women who have one because they feel even more horrible because they had to have a mojor op, and got stretch marks and cant do anything because they cant move much, but im lucky it only took me 2 weeks to get back to my old self again, i still have a little pain when i lift heavy things but my boyfriend doesnt let me do much.

i have the implant in and me and my boyfriend are gona get it taken out 2 days after my daughters 1st birthday (as it falls on a saturday and cant get it taken out then) but we're gonna try for our second baby then.

yes stretch marks will come no matter what you do. there isnt nothing really that you can do about them really unless ya get a nip n tup op or summit but i believe ur not stupid to get that done.

ne ways let me know what you think n hope u be in touch

Lizzie (17) & Boyfriend (22)

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.