Sudden Weight Gain but Not Pregnant

I'll be 46 at the end of this month & just moved to a new state so I don't have the luxury of knowing any doctors.  In the last 1-2 months I suddenly gained 40 + lbs & look pregnant.   That seems to be where the weight all is.  A urinalysis proved negative for pregnancy on Monday & with my 3 grown kids I did not gain this much weight &/or so fast.  I just look pregnant & feel "full - heavy - tired & short of breath" most of the time.  Tomorrow I go for a Pelvic ultrasound w/a full bladder.  The day after I am scheduled for an Abdomen ultrasound - w/fasting.  Any idea what we are looking for or what could cause this?  I can barely eat because I feel so full & yet it's lately that I've gained the most weight.  I am not in pain, I just feel miserable - like over due.  When I asked at the doctor's office what could cause this & what we are looking for they said 'a cyst, tumor, or cancer'...... I would kind of like a bit more information if at all possible.  In the last week I gained another 10lbs & I know this can not be good or keep on.  

Thanks,
JoeShell
Did you ever get any answers? I have the same thing going on...and no known cause or resolution as of yet after seeing several doctors....beyond desperate and frustrated at this point.

C
Did you get any medical diagnosis yet? I gained 22 pounds in 4 days and we have ruled out failing kidneys and heart problems and my doctor is clueless.

Carma
***@****
I have the same problem and have had all the ultrsounds pregnancy test and so on. I am frustrated and don,t know what to do now. Drs. say I am fine but this cannot be ok. I have the same exact symptoms as you.
I , too, have the same thing, One day I woke up and was swollen from head to toe- once the rest of my body's swelling went down, my stomach & pelvis area were still swollen- looking as if I was 7 -8 months pregnant, I have had ultrasounds done, bloodwork drawn, colonoscopy, Barium Enema- and still, I am no wiser than before. I am now schedued to see an Oncologist. The frustration of gaing over 35 pounds in less than 2 moinths is depressing  and frustrating. I was wondering if you had received any answers to your symptoms. I am a 50 year old post menpausel woman and they did find a small cyst on my left ovary- but the Dr's said that it was of no concern. If , by any chance, you have heard of what this mysterious ailment is, I would be grateful if you shared the news with me
I really do not have much knowledge about the exact name but my mother had these EXACT same symptoms!! Her belly looked like she was 7 months prego as well and she was 51 years at the time.  She finally got diagnosed with liver disease and Hepatitis and it was very serious. I don't know anything else about it but if you haven't got any answers from your doc yet maybe ask them about liver disease?
hi there, I am in the same boat. I have gained 20lbs, in the last 2 months. My doctor thinks that it is my thyroid, its Underactive. I went for blood tests on Mon, and I go see the doctor today, so I will let you know what happens.
Wow, this is crazy becuase I am having the same symptoms.  I have not gained as much as you all (about a pound a week so far) but it's only been 5 weeks and I've been into a 6-day a week, 6-week program for almost 4 weeks.  I've also been eating better.  I just can't figure it out!  I've had to go buy some new clothes in a bigger size because I have nothing to wear.  I'm wondering if it has to do with hormones.  Ever since a m/c in Jan. at 14 weeks my blood pressure has been up, I've had headaches, and my normal palpatations have increased.  I'm so sick of feeling like this!!  I, too, feel pg but I know I'm not.  A few weeks ago my OB signed off on me but told me to see my family doc because my bp was going up.  I watched my bp at home and we found that it would get high anytime I go to the office.  I'm really hesitant to go back there!  But I'm sick of feeling so incredibly bloated and FAT.  I've been trying to lose weight since my 5th child 2 years ago and all of a sudden all my hard work has flown out the window.  This is ridiculous!
I forgot to mention that I, too, had my thyroid checked and everything was normal.  It's making me wonder if there really is something wrong.
I gain weight durring stressful situations. I had a friend who was in her 50's and she agained alot of weight and fast . She too could not find the solution untill one dayI think it was her apendex acted up and she had to have it removed. When they went to remove it the doctors were surprised she had a huge sack full of fluid. They removed the equvelant of 2 large jugs of milk from her tomack. It turns out the ultrasound did not pick it up because it was fluid so it did not show. The fluid was tested and all I heard from her it was a mixure of blood and lack of doctor term water. She dropped about 30 + lbs from this. She did not need to use her scooter as much after going to physo. Go figure thats all I know of her situation. It never returned.
I feel for you's very much. Are you diabetic? I have no clue.
i am 37 . i too have gains weight. i weighed 135 a month and a half ago...today i weigh 173....for a total of 38 lbs!i weigh more now than when i gave birth , all 3 times! i don't understand. tho possible peri-menopause ? i also have had some night sweats . some woke me up w/ horrible electric heat in my back . sometimes i wake up on cold wet sheets.. i am getting pimples , unsightly hair ,and my boobs LITERALLY feel like huge heavy bowling balls. i have practiced some running but feel like i'm dying when i do it . and further more the very next morning i swear....i have gained more weight! i am literally gaining weight EVERY DAY.
That is so wierd , I weighed 135 , or under forever than suddenly hit 170 , gaining weight daily also . I have never been this large in my life . If you find out your cause please let us know !  I cant afford to see a doctor without insurance , so any ADVICE ?
Missannoyed,  the original poster was over a year ago.  It seems unlikely she'll return.

You need to see a doctor.  I know you don't have insurance,  but priorities are priorities, and if you're gaining weight DAILY your health is at grave risk.

Money is only money.  Your life is worth more than that.

Best wishes.  I hope it works out for you.