Tanning beds and a rash

Ok. This is the deal. I have a tanning bed, and have had it for quite some time. I am fair complected, and use it so that I do not burn when I go out into the sun, this way I can work my way up slowly: 5 minutes, 6 minutes, etc. I have never had any problems.

This year, I have a TERRIBLE rash on certain parts of my body: arms, back of my knees, neck and chest. It is driving me nuts! It itches pretty bad, and you can actually see the little bumps.

I switched the tanning accelerator that I was using, and I do not use anything that has a bronzer in it.

Any suggestions or ideas what it might be? Or anyone else had this problem before? I do have sensitive skin. I know - I will get lots of posts telling me to quit using the tanning bed...I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and what they did for it.

THANKS!!
I used to tan way, way, way back in the day. I am also extremely fair skinned. I decided that skin cancer wasn't worth it and just bit the bullet and now when I slather up my boys with sunscreen, I slather myself up, too.

Now, it could be possible you are reacting to the new accelerator, or you could be getting a heat rash. I used to be really prone to that as well. Any area where sweat could pool or creases would break out into a rash. Try not using an accelerator for a while and see if that helps. Or you could try and keep a towel nearby so you can wipe away excess sweat as you tan. Avoid any oil based products, that will only make matters worse.

On a personal note, embrace your fair skin. In 20 years tanning will make you look like an old wrinkly woman, I have noticed a huge difference in my skin since I quit tanning 10 years ago. I look much younger than my same age counterparts who are slaves to the sun. Okay, I'll step off the soapbox ; )

I hope you find a resolution soon.

Andi

I got ringworm from a tanning bed one time. Turns out they weren't cleaning the beds very well. I've heard of people getting scabies from a tanning bed too- maybe that's just a myth, though. You should probably see your dr. or a dermatologist if it's not getting any better.
Lots of nastiness in things like that---even if it's your own germs.  There are multitudes of germs that live on your skin, and thrive in a warm envirmonment.  Just make sure you're cleaning it well, and wiping it down with water.  When you heat up your pores, they open, and all sorts of bacteria get in...then you get out of the heat, the pores close up, and WHAM.  You have an infection.  Hence, the rash.
If I were you, I'd stay out altogether...but that's probably not likely, so I'd say just clean it well, but also make sure there is no residue of cleaner when you get in.
When I use to go to the tanning bed I got sun poisining one summer from it.  I had never gotten it in previous years of tanning and I had been using the same tanning bed all along.
YES YOU CAN GET SCABBIES FROM A TANNING BED IF IT WAS NOT CLEAN CORRECTLY. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE GO TO THE DR. I JUST RECENTLY GOT OVER SCABBIES, VERY PAINFUL. I KNOW WHERE I GOT MINE. IF YOU CATCH IT EARLY THE LESS PAINFUL IT IS. YOU HAVE TO GET A CREAM TO KILL THE LITTLE BUGGERS. YOU CAN NOT SEE THEM THE JUST LEAVE RED DOTS THAT ITCH LIKE CRAZY. DO YOU ITCH REALLY BAD AT NIGHT? DONT WORRY TO MUCH IF YOU DO HAVE THEM. MY DR TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE EASY TO CATCH ALMOST AS EASY AS A COLD. I WAS ALSO TOLD IN SOME CASES IT IS MORE COMMON THAN A COLD. IF YOU LIVE WITH ANYONE ELSE, YOU HAVE TO GET THE CREAM FOR THEM TO. THE DR WILL EXPLAIN IT MORE. WASH EVERYTHING, NO NOT REWEAR CLOTHING W/OUT WASHING. SPRAY ANYTHING THAT CAN NOT BE WASHED WITH THE LICE (RIX). I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE SCABBIES BUT IT IS WORTH GOING TO THE DR OVER. YOU COULD HAVE SOMETHING ELSE BUT WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING IT SOUNDS LIKE SCABBIES. CHECK IT OUT ON THE INTERNET, AND EXAMION YOURSELF AND TRY TO SEE. YES YOU WILL READ ABOUT REMIDES THE WILL CURE THEM. I TRIED THEM ALL BUT THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME WAS A PRESCRIBED CREAM, SO SEE A DR. IF YOU DONT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE GO TO THE HEALTH DEPT. THEY WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.
I HOPE I HELP YOU IN ANY WAY.

BEST WISHES
Perhaps you should just give up on the tanning bed. A rash is far better than skin cancer.