Teen Irregular periods??

I am currently 17 years old. I started my period when I was around 10-11 years old. I remember having regular periods for the first year or so, with a fairly heavy flow. Although, ever since, I have been getting my period every 4-6 months, for the past 5 or so years. I am a average teenager who hasn’t experienced any tragic weight loss/gain, and I’m not too athletic either, (I feel the need to mention these, because I’ve read that those are some causes to irregular periods). My last “sign” of my period was about 3 months ago, and it’s was mostly brown spotting with little specks of red blood (lasted about 10 days), it was so light, that a thin panty liner would have lasted me most of the day. Please help, I wanted to get more intel on my situation before I go and see a doctor.
Hi. Not sure but could be a few things.  But could be ovarian cysts. Was same for me. Those cysts are quite common. There are other unwanted side effects from having those also. Like facial hair...you probably and hopefully don't have that.  It's great that you have a check list and crossed things off. But its it's really better to see a doc. Could be hormonal.  If it is. The doc will probably just put you on birth control pills.