Using Provera for spotting

Hi All ,

I got my periods on aug 16 , bleeded for 10 days and period did not stop till Oct 5th (few days had a flow like period most of the days just spotting). Went to the doctor , she took a sonogram and told my ovaries were normal. She told may be due to harmonal imbalance i had this spotting . Doctor prescribed provera for 21 days and told once you stop u will have a lighter period. Wallgreens doc gave me 2 pills instead of 21 (confused with my doc writing). i took 2 , spotting stopped and later after 3 days i started bleeding heavily with clots. called my doctor and she corrected it saying it was 21 days not 2 days. So started provera again from oct 10 . Today its oct 23 and i am still bleeding . I dont know why provera is not stopping my bleeding. Is this the way it should work ? Please help me ... i am tired of using the pads.
Provera is to be used for 21 days. You should take a second course of provera if bleeding does not stop. You seem to be having the symptoms of metrorrhagia(heavy periods). Various factors causing it are endometriosis,ectopic pregnancy,hormone imbalance,endometrial hyperplasia,polyps,use of IUD’s and depo shots, sexually transmitted diseases,PCOS and benign and malignant pathologies of the uterus.
I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist and get a pelvic examination and swab culture done to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment depends on the confirmation of diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.