Vaginal Fissures

I wanted to start this forum up again since our other one got closed. We were all wondering what is causin our vaginal fissures or cuts. They are like paper cuts and are very painful. I have recently gotten a biopsy done and I don't get the results back til AUgust 1st. Just wanted to keep this going so we can all try and help eachother.
My posting on 7/21/05 (from the old forum)........Well, I have to say that I was extremely relieved after reading this forum. I had never had vaginal tearing or fissures until about a month ago, and I ignored them. They went away and came back worse about 2 weeks later. I had been cleaning them with peroxide (OUCH!) and putting bacetracin ointment on them to try to heal them, which slightly worked. I was trying to write it off as the toilet paper, etc! But then I became more and more worried, and began to research it and that's when I came across this website. After reading everything I decided to go see my OBGYN. He of course tested me for Herpes, and even though I had read everything that you have all been through, and knowing that none of your tests had come back positive, I was still nervous. He also tested me for a yeast infection. Well, right there on the spot he said I had a horrible yeast infection and wrote me a prescription for 2 Diflucan pills. I was to take one (they stay in your system for 3 days) and then repeat 3 days later. He also gave me a prescription for a topical cream. I took the first pill, and applied the cream. The itching became 100 times worse. I kept putting on the cream until the itching became unbearable (2 days), and then I took my second Diflucan pill after three days. A few days later I got the results of my Herpes test and I am happy to say that it came back negative. And the best news is that my fissures are completely gone. I've had no signs of them reappearing. Back to normal and very happy!! Just thought I'd share my story to hopefully help someone else out. Good luck girls!!

For those of you that were looking for a common link between all of us:

I am 28
Serious Boyfriend
Sexually Active (not more than 2 times a week)
Desk Job
Work out
Have 1 cat (4 years old)
Live in somewhat humid climate
I just posted my old comments above so that I could let you all know that the fissures (tears) have still not come back!  It has been over 2 weeks so I'm hoping that I am through with all of this.  I truly think that the yeast infection was causing the fissures, and my OBGYN told me that was his explanation for them as well.  I would recommend asking your OBGYN to test for yeast.  The Diflucan pills (2 doses) took care of everything.

Good luck to all of you.  I hope that your situation is as simply cured as mine was.

Mindboggled...have you gotten the results from your biopsy yet?  Thanks!
Yes, I have and the news wasn't as good as she led me to believe. They just said it was irritated skin...and my reaction was NO S*@t. She just gave me a different cream to apply. She said that when I go back in September if I still have the fissure problem then she is going to send me to a dermatologist. I was so upset for the whole day and so far it has effected my whole week. I thought they were going to find out what it was and give me a magic pill to get rid of it. Instead I get an answer that I already knew and told to switch creams. This is so frustrating. ANd it is not caused from yeast infections. I've been on a candidia free diet since October and every test I get back is negative for yeast and bacteria. So it isn't that for sure!! Yes these fissures do go away but after about two weeks they seem to reappear with absoultly no explanation.
Are you all on birthcontrol. I thought that may be the cause?? I take Kariva. I also work out 2-3 times a week. Maybe the sweat has something to do with it. Do you all work out and sweat alot too??
I have had fissures for about 10yrs. I even had them surgically removed and yet they returned:( I have just started on a steroidal cream. Pain is better but I am to wait a month before return visit. Has anyone had luck with this treatment?
I was wondering what you meant by surgically removed..
I was just thinking that my bc might be causing this excessive dryness, tears and pain. I'm so glad you mentioned that - I have my Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon. What bc were you on? I'm taking Yasmin. Nighttime is unbearable - I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in three days. This has happened once before a few months ago, but it wasn't this bad. My Dr. tested me for yeast but I came up negative. He prescribed me with Nystatin cream - I can't use it now because I have open tears and it burns when I do. I am seeing a different doctor tomorrow - hopefully she will provide me with some answers and not just shove a prescription in my face. I will keep you all updated...
The tears completely went away for me when i stopped the birth control pill... apparently the pill threw my hormones out of wack and caused me to produce too much yeast (eventhough paps came back negative for yeast) it's wierd but you should try it... after two months of being off the pill i'm pain and irritation free... (whatever works right?)
Another person too relieved to find this thread.  Been telling my OB/GYN for a few months that I've been getting fissures more and more frequently.  Never got them before this year.  Wondering if it could be caused from a) taking a daily allergy decongestant (zyrtec D) that might cause vag drying.  Also started taking BC pills about a year ago (yasmin) which can affect hormones that also slightly raise yeast levels - and cause drying.  I've been using lubricant, but I'm wondering if even that is irritating me more.

Sunday got such sever inner fissures that I can hardly walk.  Going to the bathroom brings tears to my eyes.  I am getting some relief from Neosporin with pain killer.
I've been dealing with vaginal fissures for 4 years now.  I'm thrilled to find this thread and know that I'm not alone.  No doctor seems to know what the problem is ...nor do they seem to concerned.  I've tried Diflucan pills, I've had a biopsie (it was negative), I've had an ultrasound (nothing unusual for found), I've been tested for every kind of VD (all negative), I was tested to see if I was diabetic (I'm not),  I was even told that it might be ecoli attacking and eating the skin and put on anti-biotics that had no effect (except to give me a yeast infection).  And everytime I have been cultured for yeast, it has been negative.  

The good news is that until last week, I was fissure free for 7 months.  The only thing I've found to clear up an outbreak is Terazol cream.  It's a prescription cream that is used to treat a yeast infection...but it attacks a strain of yeast that most other creams don't.

The other thing I've done that seems to help is that I've stopped drinking soda and eating or drinking anything with lots of sugar in it.  I've also stopped eating out .  I don't take birth control.  I did for about 6 months when this problem first started...it was supposed to control my hormone levels and stop the itching....it didn't work.

I seem to have outbreaks when my stress level is high.  
Do you all have high stress jobs?

Is there something we all have in common that could be causing our problem?

I'm 29, married, and live in Los Angeles.
Hello, I too have occurrences of the small paper-cut like outbreaks.  I have had them for the past 15 years.  I was mis-diagnosed with herpes in 1990 and only found out today that my blood does not test positive for the herpes 2 virus.  According to my doctor this means I have never been exposed to the virus.  You can only imagine my shock to learn that for 15 years I have lived with the belief that I had herpes.  To make matters worse I have been taking daily doses of Valtrex for the past 6 years in an attempt to suppress what I thought were herpes outbreaks.  Of course, the suppresseive therapy was not helping and in the meantime I have been pounding my liver unneccessarily with this drug.  

This discovery came about when I went in for my yearly exam and apologized to my doctor that I was having a herpes outbreak.  Upon examining me he told me that I was not having a herpes outbreak.  After much discussion and him showing me some pictures it became clear that perhaps herpes was not what I was experiencing.  The doctor did a culture on the open lession and a blood test to confirm the herpes anti-body presence.  Both were negative.  And, yes, I would like to hunt down the doctor who mis-diagnosed me 15 years ago and give him a piece of my mind.

Anyway, I believe stress is definitely a huge part of what brings these outbreaks on (whatever they are).  I can count on having an outbreak at least once a month and ALWAYS right before I start my period.  I have IBS which can cause a lot of straining when attempting to use the bathroom.  I haven't had a yeast infection in at least 20 years.  I am in my early 40's, don't have pets, have been on birth control pills 24 years.  

Sorry this is so long but I just found this web site today and am still in shock in learning that I don't have herpes and do have some very strange unexplained skin condition.  We MUST get to the bottom of this!  Best wishes to all - k
I went to the doctor today. She too thought my bc was causing the dryness leading to the cuts. She also believes I have a slight yeast infection, because of the itching, and prescribed me Terazol cream to alleviate that symptom. Once the itching ceases, she recommended I apply topical estrogen to seal the wounds. I asked her if I should move to a different bc, one with a lower hormone dosage and she said quite the contrary, that she would actually recommend a higher dosage. I then asked if she recommended any other form of bc and she suggested I try the bc ring. The ring has a low dosage of hormone, similar to Yasmin, but with the estrogen being locally dispensed to the area I need it most, she thinks that my issue of dryness will be resolved. Apparently the ring has been said to actually help prevent infections. Hopefully this will help. I have a follow-up appointment in six weeks. I will keep you all updated, unless of course I have another incident!