Vaginal Itching In College Student

About two weeks ago I started getting intense itching in my vulva area with very runny, abnormal discharge. I went to the gyno and she said she didn't see any trichomoniasis under microscope, and didn't think I had a yeast infection. However, she prescribed me Metronidazole, and Fluconazole. I have just finished these medications, and I have one more Fluconazole to take next week. She also swabbed me for any STD's and everything came back negative. Now I have a red, raw area on my clitoral hood that itches and burns like crazy. Is this soap irritation? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm a freshman in college living in a dorm, so I am in a new environment. PLEASE HELP!!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  To me, it sounded like a yeast infection.  Trich and std's do not itch.  If you perhaps itched yourself, you could have caused what you describe on your own.  And even at night when sleeping, this can happen.  I'd see if it clears up and would guess it will.  The other thing that could be happening is a dermatitis of that area. There is contact dermatitis that you get from rubbing up on something but also, we can just get unexplained dermatitis.  I'm sure this is very uncomfortable.  I'd try to leave it alone and ignore it as best you can to see if this goes away.  If you are using a new soap, go back to your normal product you used at home.  And give this a week to see if it gets better.  If not, see your doctor again.  Sorry I wasn't more helpful but it sounds like an annoying problem and not dangerous.  good luck
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll be sure to try this out!!!

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community