Vaginal Strep in a Non Pregnant Woman

Hi,  I had been having lots of itching, burning and a brownish discharge for two weeks after a fun sex filled weekend with a boyfriend whom I only see every two months or so.  This happens often and I have always treated it as a possible yeast infeciton.  This time it didn't go away and so I saw my ob/gyn.  She took a culture and found strep B, which has nothing to do with Strep A that creates strep throat.  She said she could give me antibiotics to make it go away but then I would get a yeast infeciton from the antibiotics and then we'd have to use another cream etc.  She said just to let it ride it's course.  Now it's been three and ahalf weeks and it's better but not all healed.  Does anyone have any ideas about treating this or preventing this?  Every article on the internet has to do with Strep B in prenatal women (when it is very dangerous for the baby) and nothing about Strep B for regular women in their 40's like me :)  Thanks, I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever been treated for this disease or any doctors out there.
This is a normal bacteria for the anogenital area.  It becomes an issue in pregnancy, mainly for the infants sake.

I don't know if it's ever something that needs to be treated in a non pregnant woman.  Maybe if it sort of took over?  Just like yeast is also a normal inhabitant of the female genital tract, if there is an imbalance and it overtakes the normal flora, you get symptomatic.  Maybe group B strep is the same.
Hi, I too am suffering from a vaginal strep infection. I got it when I started having sex with a new partner. I have tried two rounds of antibiotics. The first round took it away and then it came back in a couple of months again. I have a lot of irritation and redness. I am taking a probiotic and Colloidal Silver to see if it will help. Both of these items can be purchased through a health food store. I've been taking it now for about two weeks. My symptoms are slowly getting better but still feels uncomfortable. I'm wondering if my partner needs to be treated, could he be a carrier of this??
To anyone out there with this dreaded Strep B in the vagina problem, i need some help, i too had a swab for thrush but it come back with strep b +++, i was given amoxil 500mg antibiotics but it did nothing, now im on an antibiotic cream inserted every night for 7 nights. My symptoms are only that i have a very thick white discharge all the time, i shower twice daily and am very hygenic, i dont use soap because of dermatitis down there too, instead use aqueos lotion. There is no itch or burning just this annoying pasty discharge, it doesnt smell foul, it sort of smells like salt and vinegar chips (thats the best i can associate it to) its not fishy at all, the consistency of thick white sorbolene cream almost toothpaste, it is there every day of the month even when i ovulate i dont get that thin egg white stuff anymore. Im not on the pill anymore i stoped it a month ago, my dr says to wait a month after the internal cream before starting on antibiotics again for 2whole weeks, them im afraid i'll get thrush back again, Oh i am so sick of this all, if it wasnt for this disgusting discharge i wouldnt know there was anything wrong with me, can anyone suggest what to do and does anyone else have this discharge with strep. Ive been tested for all STD's and im neg to all. Hopefully lots of people out there suffering from this can write back please. Thanks.
Hello.. for the past 3-4 months I have what i thought was a reoccuring case of yeast infection. I also have tested positive to herpes type 1 so I though this was it so my doctor gave me a course of tablets for herpes. The irritation did go away however after 6 weeks it has come back AGAIN! I went to see my doctor today and from the cultures done last time finally I found out I have strep B, the doctor was very understanding and has now given me a course of penacilin and 2 tablets to avoid getting a yeast infection - 1 to take before the penacilin and 1 to take at the end of the course. I too am trying to research on the net but keep finding info for pregnant women.. I am 27 and definitely NOT pregnant.
I am 37 years old and also have vag strep. I can definitely understand your frustration. From my research, the following do NOT work.

1. Flagyl
2. Vaginal inserts (actually can increase strep bacteria)

Please read the following article at www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm

I to have been suffering from what the test referred to as: " A slight over growth of Streph B"  It's been at least 7 months if not longer that I've been dealing with a constant but slight discharge.  I'm in my 40's and not pregnant.  I've talked to my doctor many times and have been given the option to take an antibiotic, which as most of us well know can cause yeast infection.  I've opted not to do this.  So, I've been living with this condition for a while now.  Sometimes it seems that it comes on later in the afternoon almost routine and then it sometimes happens out of the blue in the morning.  I try to change my underwear twice a day and don't wear any underwear at nigh for bed.  I'm not sure what triggers this...I know about 2.5 years ago I got a really nasty vaginal infection..Then it was treated and I've been tested for STD's all negative.  I sometimes wonder if it came from the boyfriend at that time.  I've even tried douching with h20 and vinegar which will temporary stop the discharge but it comes back.  What I hate about it is it makes me feel dirty and it has a slight odor that I can smell at times.  So I wonder if someone else can smell it or is it I'm so intune with the odor I pick it up asap.  Not to mention the constant stained underwear..:(  

If anyone has any info or treatment I'd be greatful to hear it as well.  
I too had strep b. I did amoxicillian and the pill for yeast. went pretty well but after a month the burning sensation came back. More culturs. This time ecoli showed up....did cipro and it made me sick. My GYN asures me that none of these are std's but grow in the vagina naturally. But something thru my ph levels out of whack and I have lost my vaginal flora. We thought menopause and now I have thyroid thing going on too. Now I'm on hrt's and synthroid. I miss my self . This *****.
I have the same issue.   I am 37 and have had a hystorectomy so there is no chance of a baby.  I have never had strep B and have had three children.  I have seen a specialist in the field of infections and is an OBGYN.  My husband is a carrier of Strep B.  I was put on mupirocin 1% vaginal suppositiory twice daily for 14 days.  He is taking Amox-Clav 875 mg twice daily for 14 days.  I was treated frist and after sex was reinfected.  This was a clue that he was the reason that we were having issues.  Both must be treated.  Give your Dr a call and let them know.  Good luck and feel better.
My question is, how much of having Strep B is caused by sex?  I understand that this infection is most common in pregnent women. Well I found out that the man that I was dating had a women who was pregnant. How does these situations relate to one another?
After the birth of my second child, I was told, after my post-op gyn appt., that I had Strep B. Didn't test positive for it while I was pregnant. Didn't have the usual symptoms (burning, gross discharge with ordor) too many times. Now ten years later I have had all of these symptoms plus UTI's with Strep B in my urine. I have been on anitbiotics several times and have recurring infections monthly. I don't know what is going on or how to cure it. My doctor to tells me that it is a "normal" bacteria in the vaginal. I would like someone to tell me why I didn't have it for years and it just showed up one day after the birth of my son, was dormat for years and now has returned.
I've had 3 UTI/bladder infections this year alone.  My daughter is now 2 and very strange things occured since I've given birth.  I did test positive for strep B during pregnancy but they did the IV and there were no complications at that time.  This year I've had so much urinary pain that I don't know what it's due to.  Sometimes they give me Macrobid/Nitrofurantin and it will go away but come back.  This past round they prescribed Levaquin and it's pretty good.  The discharge is down and the pain and inflamation are definately clearing up.  I'm still trying to find out if this is related to an abundance of sexual activity or if another STD makes it become more active. thanks.
I was diagnosed with GSB two years ago when I was 25 years old and not pg. I have done a lot of research and talked with many specialists, there is not too much that antibiotics can do, unless you are pregnant, then you want to protect the baby. The colonization goes through an ebb and flow. Some tests will show it,but at another time the GSB is not as abundant. The amount depends on a lot of factors- stress, other STD's, or even being sick. Your immune system and it's healthiness really drives the production of GSB. I have been taking a regimen of vitamins that has helped a lot in my symptoms and comfort. I every now and then get really bad itching, but not as much. The combo is acidophillus, garlic, grapefruit seed extract, Vitamin C, and echinacea. I don't know the exact mg, but just look it up.
Something that recently happend to me was an abnormal result on a pap smear. Does anyone know if this can be from GSB? This is soemthing new, so I haven't had a chance to ask my gyno yet.
Hope this helps.