Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures

For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
Hi, I too had this same problem or actually still have but not as severe as a couple of days ago. Wednsday of last week, I would feel the most agonizing pain each time I would urinate, as soon as the urine would come in contact with my tears I would  hold on tight to the sink which is next to my toilet and cry in pain, sometimes I would hold it until I couldn't anymore just because of the fear I felt to go urinate. When I finally couldn't take it anymore I got on the internet and came accross this website, I read a lot of comments most of which sounded like my story.  The next day I came to work as usual only that I was in horrible  pain and my jeans were making my problem worse by the second. As soon as I left work I stopped at Walgreens,and bought a non expensive ointment, which worked miracles on me. I applied it at night on the tears, I slept with no underware (loose shorts only) and in the morining I  showered and cleansed my tears as carefully as possible, then I applied more ointment, yes, I did feel sticky but believe me it beats having to feel that horrible sting each time I  urinate! Some how the ointment protects the urine no longer touches the tear, the ointment is kind of thick and sticks well to the skin it stayed the entiretime I was at work (8 hours), I am almost completely healed and I can now urinate like normal woman, no more tears!!! The name and brand of this ointment is Walgreens Vitamin A & D Ointment.  It's working for me. I  wish all of you luck and hope all of you heal as well.

P.S, I was  able to have a love session with my partner (figure from wednsday (horrible pain) and by saturday night (love session no pain) my partner was of course extra super gentle!
Hey everyone! I am sooo glad I am not the only one experiencing these tears/fissures. I have been getting them for about a year now and it is usually a few days before I have my period. It is also usually right after sexual activity. Sometimes I can have sex and not get them, and other times I do get them. I seem to have almost the exact same symptoms you all have, the itching, burning, irritation and of course the tears. This is like the most annoying thing ever. I go to the gyno every year to be able to stay on birth control. I haven't gone this year yet because I was afraid the Dr. was going to tell me I had herpes or something else crazy. I have had the same boyfriend for a year now that has now problems or symptoms of anything. We do not use condoms so you would think if it was something like herpes he would have it too. I usually use A and D ointment on the tears, but it doesnt seem to heal them as quickly as I would like. I would have to say the itchiness and the burning is worse that the actually tear. I usually only get one or two at the most and they are very small. I guess I'm going to try some of the creams you women have used to see if they help better than the A and D. Good luck to everyone, this problem really sucks:(
Just an update, 8 days later I am completely healed! And yes this problem really sucks =(, I wish good health to all woman with this condition.
I just wish we had a definitive answer as to why we're getting these annoying cuts.  I've read that people suffering from this were both positive and negative for Herpes.  I think it has something to do with hormones and/or vaginal flora.  It seemed like mine would show up around my period as well.  Lately, they've been giving me a lot of trouble and I've had major reoccurence of BV.  Still waiting for my retest on HSV-2.
I have been getting the same problem all you women have. It started about 2 months ago and I seriously thought it was herpes but got them swabbed and cultured and haven't heard anything back. I got these checked a month ago and I am assuming it's negative for herpes. So if anyone gets a diagnosis plz let me know it just sucks to get tears on your vagina. I don't want to be intimate  any more as I am scared to infect my partner for anything. Never had problems like this in the past.
Hi ladies.  I cannot believe that so many of us are having the same issue with no results!  I am 24 and have suffered from these vaginal tears and itching off and on for many years.  I have found that it comes at the same general time in my menstrual cycle... and it is definately NOT HERPES!  I have regular check ups and have never been diagnosed with herpes (even before I became sexually active!).  I too think that it has something to do with the vaginal flora and the yeast levels.  I am a certified herbalist and nutritionalist, and I am starting to think that the cause for all of this may be a systemic candida infection.  Candida albicans is the scientific name for yeast.  When it becomes systemic it can cause all kinds of problems.  Google it and you will find many holistic websites that list the many and varied symptoms.  It effects everyone differently, so it can be hard to diagnose.  This is also the reason why the mainstream medical community does not really recognize systemic candida infections as a real illness.  

We are all on some version of the standard american diet... over processed foods with too much refined sugar>> candida's best friend!  I am not sure if this is a definitive answer, but don't be surprised if your GYN blows it off.  Most of them will not accept this as an answer but I am going to look into it more... Unfortunately, curing systemic candida usually requires major diet changes and a strict herbal regimen.  I will post again with more info when I can.  Good lcuk to you all... keep the info coming!
I also have been getting these fissures for the past few months pretty regularly, with a few weeks/days of no symptoms. It first started when I had surgery and developed an infection and was then put on antibiotics, to clear it up. After taking the medication for a few days, I developed the worst yeast infection that was so sore and swollen. I also developed fissures that it was nearly impossible to use soap, because it burned so bad. After using an over the counter cream like  Monistate for 7 days it cleared for nearly a month, but after that I've had at least 4 others times, all with extremely painful fissure that seem to tear in the same spot. I have been to the doctors and I've had my vagina tested for yeast each time, which all have come up positive. But this most recent case that I have has no symptoms of itchiness or burning only fissures that are pretty much always in the same spot. only this time when I went to the Dr.s, my yeast test was negative.  I also have herpes simplex 1 which I've had for about 4 years and have only had 1 outbreak in that time. Out of fear of experiencing another outbreak, I take Valtrex daily which reduces and shortens the length of time if I was ever to get another.  my Dr. says that it doesn't look really like an out break at all, and it certainly doesn't feel like how I remembered it to feel like. No one knows what this is and why I keep feeling like this.  I have had sex like 5 times in the last 4 months, and I've noticed that I would have sex when I was feeling better and after 4 or 5 days, I would develop symptoms of a yeast infection. If Any one has any useful information or ways to help clear up my problem, that would be much appreciated.
I feel like I could have typed the original comment verbatim to explain my symptoms.

My doctor recently diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis, which he claims is the cause of all my problems.  I know for a fact that it isn't.

Years ago, I developed a yeast infection after taking antibiotics, which was followed by the first time I got these horrible cuts.  I was tested and told that it came up positive for HSV 1 and so that's what caused the cuts, not the horrible yeast infection.

Periodically throughout the years I would get a bout of these cuts and think I was having an outbreak.

Well, for the last 10 months straight, I have had the cuts for at least one week out of the month if not longer.  The first two months I believed I was having a yeast infection because I was on antibiotics.

I always get them the week before my period, coupled with intense itching and burning.  One of them appears and clears up within a day or so, only to be followed by more.  They are usually in the creases of the labia, above the clitoral hood, and on the perineum.  They have begun showing up every time I have sex now.

My doctor refuses to listen to my symptoms, and continues to blame herpes and interstitial cystitis, even after the herpes culture he took came back negative.

I went to his office last week in tears, bringing information about recurrent yeast infections and an extreme sensitivity to yeast which perfectly described what has been happening to me.  He told me that he would (reluctantly) test me for yeast next time I went in.

I go in tomorrow and I made sure to have sex yesterday in order to bring on the symptoms.  I am extremely nervous that he won't find any type of infection and will continue to dismiss my concerns.  I can't live like this forever.

How many of you have been tested for yeast?  Is it usually positive?  I have read that often times this is caused by another strain of yeast that doesn't show up on the typical test.

If my tests come back negative and he refuses to help me, I am definitely going to see another doctor.  I hate being treated like a crazy person.
Ugh...I hate it when you write this big long post and then you lose it!  so...here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

With thoughts to yeast:  I have heard there is a strain of yeast that doesn't typically respond to typical treatments.  Also, it can be passed back and forth according to what I've read, so it might help to have your partner treated as well.

Freya-Faery...I think you're on to something and agree with you!

to the last two posters:  Is your HSV-1 gential or oral...just curious if you knew for sure as genital HSV-1 is not as common.

As for me:

* have had cuts in my vaginal folds for years...didn't bother me much until the last few years

*placed IUD after 2nd child (may 2004) and took it out (aug 2006) due to recurrent Group B strep problems

*took blood test for HSV 1 and 2.  Results came back positive for both,but with a result for 2 that could be false.  

* had culture done on cut (it was negative)

*did have an overgrowth of bacteria when I got the herpes culture done...am currently treating the bacteria with Clindamax (gosh, I hate this stuff!!)

* waiting for results of the confirmatory HSV-2 test.

* have been taking Valtrex since June 13 and it seems to be helping, but have gotten a few cuts that have healed quickly since I started the treatment.

BUT, even if I am + for 2, I'm not really convinced that's what's causing the tears.  After all, how often have you read that someone had an outbreak for 2 months straight??

Will keep you posted.  Find it amazing how similar all of our symptoms are yet nobody can tell us what the problem is.

I actually don't know if my HSV1 is genital or oral.  I was tested years ago and don't remember if it was a blood test or a culture.  If it was a culture, then genital, obviously.

But you're right; who has ever heard about months long outbreaks that return negative cultures?  Additionally, cuts often appear hours after sexual intercourse.  I'm not sure that the virus could activate that quickly.

And from what I've read, HSV-1 of the genitals rarely causes break-outs beyond the initial one, if it ever does at all.

I'm frustrated, and worried about tomorrow's appointment where he will do another test for bacterial and fungal infections.

I don't want to live with this for years and I hate putting my boyfriend through this.

Have any of you had symptoms that just went away over time?

Also, what is the false positive rate for herpes cultures, if it exists at all?  I'm going to be very upset if I have lived for years thinking that I had this when I didn't.
I would go ahead and get a Herpes Select IGg test done for 1 and 2, just to rule it out (or in as the case may be.)  After my initial devastation...granted I'm still waiting for the confirmatory test results...I've found this site to be very helpful and have resigned myself to the fact that I may have it.  More importantly, the diagnosis could be worse.  At least this won't kill me.  Not to mention, I potentially  have an answer as to why its happening.  Still have some unanswered questions, but if that's what it is and Valtrex will keep it at bay, then all is good.  

I'm not sure what the rates are for false positives when using the Herpes Select Blood Test.  I just know that if you are positive for one and your results for two are between 1.1 and under 3.5, then it's probably wise to get a confirmatory test unless you have obvious Herpes lesions (when I say obvious, I mean the blister looking ones)  
I have been researching an itching problem i have and came accross something called dermatitis which is the same exact symptoms and is caused by an allergy to almost anything. so research it dermatitis i hope it helps
I started experiencing the tears on my perineum after my first yeast infection about a year ago. The yeast infection was not itchy nor did i have any discharge, but I had a HORRID painful rash all over my perineum, and 3 tears opened up during that time. It was treated as a yeast infection with Diflucan and went away. I was fine for a while but then the tears started coming back. I notice that they tend to happen near my period(more moisture?) or after/during sex. I use NuvaRing, which causes a light discharge during the month for me. My Gyno, who I love, told me that the tears we fairly common in women, and that if it didn't heal with antibiotic ointment, or if they got worse, she could put me on a steroid cream to help the skin stretch a little more. She also said that would be a last resort for her. I am very prone to bacterial and fungal infections, and it has to to with my body chemistry/ph(prediabetic/hypoglycemic). My mother who is Type 2 Diabetic, experinced these tears along with yeast infections and athletes foot infections all through her 30's and 40's until her diabetes was diagnosed and she got her levels under control.

I honestly find it rediculous that the modern medical community, which treats the majority of women's reproductive health problems as shameful, has no flipping idea what causes these tears or how to really treat them. Seriously, how many of you felt the stigma attached to the possiblity that your doctor thought you might have herpes? How many of you knew they were wrong and they wouldn't take your concerns seriously. It makes me so angry.

I just want effective unbiased medical help. In a way the empowers me to help my body heal.
I went to the doctor Tuesday, but he was unable to see me due to another woman going into labor.

I did, however, see his amazing nurse to receive my IC treatment.  She took a look at the tears, and compared them to a dotted line.  I noticed that she was correct.  The skin seems to make many tiny holes that form a sort of dotted line.  

She said I was one of the "mystery cases" and that she would alert the doctor about what she saw.

He called in and prescribed a steroid cream which healed the tear above my clitoris almost immediately.  It has since returned with a vengeance, and severe itching.

Sageeyes, I am with you on just wanting unbiased medical help.  I want a doctor to actually listen to my symptoms and how I am feeling and not assume that it's the most common problem he can think of.  Typical treatments (for infections and herpes) are not helping me.
Well I have another tear on my vagina...just went to the bathroom and hurt myself wiping...took a mirror to have a look and there it was again. Last tear I had was like over a week ago...getting sick of it already. Even though the last time I had any intimacy was way back in April and I know this can't be from any sexual activity. I am now keeping a log on when these tears appear and will show them to my doctor. I know it can't be herpes...herpes ob don't come every week from what I've researched. I wish someone had an answer to our dilemma, but I guess only tests and more test will tell.
I am so glad to have come across this forum! I have been experiencing the same pain from tiny tears along my perineum for almost a week now.  I have been driving myself crazy thinking that it is herpes, although I have no visable blisters or pus.  LIke many of you, I am close to having my period and this did occur within a day after having rough sex without much lubrication. The pain is mostly only present when I touch it or wipe, it has been accompained by some itching and a burning sensation when urine hits it. In the past I have had a itchy fissure around my anus, as well as a tear on my clitoris. I have been tested for herpes in the past, which came back negative, although since that time I have been sexually active with someone who has herpes (although we always used condoms). I will still get another herpes test in hopes of ruling that out, but it is very comforting to read that so many of you have experinced the same thing and do not have herpes! I think it is too much of a coincidence that this happened to me after unlubricated sex (with a fairly new partner who has a larger than average penis), and am thinking it may be either a sex injury or a yeast infection. However, I have never had a yeast infection, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have finally found relief from the pain after applying tea tree oil to the affected area.
My situation is crazy and completely hopeless to say the least
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia gor sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors siad everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small firoids-but doctors told me the placment of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited to date 9.
One of the things  I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doens;t look like a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
thank you -wish you all a speedy recovery- this too shall pass
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia got sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors said everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small fibroids-but doctors told me the placement of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited todate- 9.
I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doesn't look like even a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be, from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
I recently (10 days ago) got this problem. It started as a yeast infection I thought then the second day it all started swelling, my inner lips swelled to the size of my thumbs.  I went to the ER because i head laid in bed for 9 hours with an ice pack that did not help.  At the ER they said it was a yeast infection gave me an anti inflamatory injection, a precription for a steroid (methoprednosone) and Dyflucan.
Two days later the swelling was gone but the itch and pain were still killing me.  I called my gyn and he sent another Dyflucan.  I took that and finished the steroid pack and everything seemed to be getting better.
Two days after the steriods were gone it was back with more cracks, splits fissures. So I went to my gyn and he instantly said Herpes did a test for it and I am waiting for those results (scared to death).

That is how found this forum (THANK GOD FOR HOPE).

I have read all through these and think the common factor my be fake estrogen.
Some in birth control pills or patches mine is hormone replacement from hysterectomy,. and I am 34

however I do agree that keeping it shaved or short helps the pain not be so bad, also I am using baby wipes and A&D ointmentabout every 2 -3 hours and it is helping to keep the pain and itch at bay.

Best of luck .... to all of us.
I wonder if it could be cystosis or Candida.  I'm currently traveling in Japan--I just arrived here when the symptoms appeared for the first time--at the same time as my period, and these were recommended by a doctor I saw here.  I am currently using a Bayer topical cream to relieve itchiness.  She also prescribed antibiotics for three days in case it is cystosis (while she explained itching would worsen if it is Candida probably).

I have also have varying issues with dry skin (some friends suggest it might be a mild form of eczema) especially on my hands (resulting in tiny bumps or cracks, especially with seasonal/weather changes or stress).

I live in a humid climate, and sporadically wear underwear, microfiber and cotton...now switching to cotton with this onset.

I use a large variety of toilet paper while traveling, but I worry if water or food infections could be the case.  I have had a varied diet, but remarkably very non-Americanized high sugar diet (rather, much fresh food, asian food, etc.).

I have taken Alesse and Ortho-Lo, but not currently taking either.

I have had an ovarian cyst removed as well as ulcer problems before (five and three years ago, respectively).

Some casual but safe sex, but very little as of recent (last two attempts have been quite painful)..those were the first in a few months.  Before that, rarely would I experience any pains with any sex.  I have also cleared STD tests as of one month ago.

It definitely appears to be hormonal, as it seems to correspond with ladies' periods (either just before/after or during).

Here are my questions:
I think it is something yeast related, but what foods in particular should we avoid to test this theory?

Has anyone experienced some diarrhea with this, too?  I am in the third or fourth day of extreme symptoms, but diarrhea has just started.  It is actually so much better as I don't have to secrete as much urine this way, I admittedly think.

I will try to get some A+D Ointment asap.

Also, would everyone try to remember to check back in, because I'm really curious how the '05 cases are these days.  Thanks, gals!