What made me bleed for so long?

I was bleeding brownish-red blood from March 19 to May 25 (two months) and i'm not sure why. On the 24th I noticed it had slowed down a lot and then the next day after I went swimming, it had stopped all together. Now over a week later, it still hasn't came back which i'm very happy about. I haven't ever been on birth control so that couldn't have caused it. My mom would go through the same thing and not have her period for the next 3 months, could it be something genetic that passed down from her to me? What could make a woman bleed for 2 months straight?

Also, me and my husband have been trying for a baby for over a year and nothing has happened yet, could we be doing something wrong?