Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

What meds help mood swings?

Okay, my mood is VERY bad during my period. The slightest things make me upset, and I cry all the time over nothing. I understand that this is normal, but I was wondering if there are any medications that could help with the swings. Thanks!
2 Responses
144586 tn?1284669764
The very first thing to do is to take a good multi-vitamin every day. I know this advice sounds trite and gee-whizzy, but nutritional balance is essential to emotional balance. Get exercise and sunlight and take a D3 supplement. And get a good night's sleep. These aren't the only factors, but can be "the straw that broke the camal's bacl".  The mood changes are hormonal and they are the result of powerful polypeptides (signaling substances) being released into the bloodstream. It is interesting that these "mood swings" probably have survival value, or they wouldn't have persisted over the millions of years men and women have been around. Cheer up. Life is full of nice stuff.
134578 tn?1546634665
Magnesium is the calming vitamin.  Make sure there is some in the multi you are taking.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.