When can I expect my period to return to normal after going off Depo?

Well, I got my last shot on June 2nd - and this past January I had my first period since going off the shot.  Before going on depo, my period was like clockwork - it came ever 24-26 days and was EXTREMELY painful.  This past time it was hardly painful at all (some light cramping and that was it).  And now it's been 29 days and no return of AF.  I took a pregnancy test and it's negative, so I'm not sure what to think.  Is it normal for your period to return and then go back to not having one again?  I'd like to understand better what to expect.  I thought once I got my first period off the shot that I would be basically back to normal, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Any advice?