Why are the veins on my feet bulging out?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm new here and I can't find a page that fits what I'm asking better. Recently, I've noticed that a lot of the veins on my feet are popping out. I am a 17 year old female, a little overweight, with no health issues to date (not even high blood pressure.) I'm not sure what this is, and I'm really starting to freak out. It started about 5 days ago with one vein on the outside of my right ankle, and over time more and more veins have been popping out. At least, I think it's got worse - it may just be that I'm noticing it more now. They don't hurt to touch, they aren't twisty or discolored, they're just popping out. I've been sitting a lot more recently because of school, but I try to be active at least 30 minutes a day. As I said, it's really scaring me. I can't go to a doctor right now because of quarantine, and I don't know what to do.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  It would be unusual for a 17 year old to have high blood pressure. :>) In all seriousness, this is probably nothing.  Have you shown your parents?  They are usually good sources of information about when to worry and when not to worry.  Also, most doctors are currently practicing 'telemedicine' which means you could call the doctors office and ask about the veins and even send them a picture.  That might be helpful to alleviate your worry.  People can get varicose veins in their feet, for sure.  But you are so young for that!  Being overweight though is a contributing factor.  A lot of times, varicose veins are more of a cosmetic issue than a medical concern.  Here's some information on that.  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240129#treatment
My parents don't seem concerned, so it probably is nothing. It just startled me because I hadn't noticed it before and it was pretty sudden, and of course, my mind always races to the worst possible scenario. I don't have a lot of fat on my feet, so that probably helps them pop out more.
Thanks for replying, I can really use that peace of mind right now.
I think it is common to have some health anxiety where our mind goes to the worst case scenario and we start to let our imagination get away from us for what it could be.  Anxiety does that.  And we're in an anxious time with the pandemic.  Glad your parents don't think it is anything to worry about. Hang in there!

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community