Why can't I stop dreaming?!

Here is some history: I'm 24, I have Anxiety/Panic disorder. I have been taking Effexor XR since April, and it seems to help with my symptoms. I also take Xanax as needed for panic attacks. This also helps. However, I have not been able to have one night's sleep without dreaming in 8 months! I told my psychiatrist, and she prescribed Ambian, which helped me fall asleep fast, but I still had dreams all night. Then she suggested taking the Xanax every night, starting with .5 mg. When that didn't work, she told me to try 2. Nothing helps. I dream all night long. Nightmares, stupid dreams, ex-boyfriend dreams, vacation dreams, high school dreams, etc. All freakin' night! I wake up in the morning feeling like my brain hasn't rested! It is getting really annoying. This happened to me a few years back when I was first diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic disorder. But it went away after about a month. This has been 8 months now!!! Does ANYONE out there know what is causing this and if there is some kind of medication out there that would help this?
i dream about 80% in my life and out of all this dreams i see things, i hear people who are in need and i even have dreams about my relatives who were long gone, i have mightmares about 40% of my dreams i even scream in real life when something went wrong, i tell myself its just a dream. about four weeks ago i experience a very unexpected thing whatever you call it, i see things in my dream and when i woke up its happeing at the same time, i was always alone in my inlaws house and i started to see things i dont want to be seen, i tell my husband about it and he said its probably b-cuz im scared too much or something, so yeah i have weird dreams and i eevn dream about things that were happeing later on in our family and i ask myself the same question why me? sometimes i thought maybe i have some kind of connection with the dead but i dont wanna think of it that way, have you even wonder what if things come to life? like toys and stuff like that! i dream about it and i woke up feeling a little sick and see everything in our house gathering right around me, i have never been so scared in all my life, i've seen things but not this worst. my husband was going to have the bishop talk to me and see if he can help wiht my problems but i didnt want it to happen i was scared what if this is gonna make things obvious to my dead friends and make them come to me more often? so yeah thats how i think about it, but yeah the point is dreams are messages to us, they tell us things and all we need to do is listen and hear it, im kinda getting used to it now and its never going away, maybe i just needed to do something about it but i think that my dreams are trying to make me see the real person i am. we all dream and we all have different ways of receiving our messeges so yeah i hope non of you is experiencing the same thing i am going through, to whoever who posted this question! you should feel lucky to have dreams and not a nightmare, i hope you can find  a cure cuz obviously mine will stay with me for a long long time.
I have had a dream disorder for 6 years now.  Every single time I sleep I wake up in the dream stage.  I have also heard how great it is to dream but it is ruining my life!!  I have not had ONE rested night of sleep in 6 years.  The dreams are not nightmares just about whatever, no rhyme or reason.  I have been tested for every medical thing possible and tried so many medications and nothing has helped.  If anyone ever hears of a solution for this please let me know.
Have hope. There is a solution.
Here’s my story, in case it helps anyone:  I too have an anxiety disorder (GAD) and for most of my life have woken up in dream-sleep - still tired - every time I wake up (no matter how long I've slept).  But, during a brief, blissful period when I was seeing a highly-rated psychiatrist, who focused solely on cognitive-behavioral therapy, I was able to wake up feeling rested and energized - even after only 5-6 hours of nightly sleep (as opposed to my usual 8-9 hours, which I wake up from feeling as though I haven't slept at all, and which I'm reluctant to wake up from because I feel as though I still have things to resolve/problems to solve in my dreams- problems that are mostly fictional, which have never, and never do, materialize in my "real" waking life.) Also during this period when I was getting the best sleep of my life (which also happened to be a very stressful time in my life), I remember feeling more focused and productive than ever (i.e. while I usually feel that there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get done what needs to be done - let alone things I’d actually enjoy doing, during this time, I felt as though there was plenty of time for everything - and I truly did accomplish a lot).  I told my psychiatrist about the wonderful changes, which I found remarkable for the following reasons: (1) I was being treated for anxiety, not sleep problems - problems I had never mentioned to my psychiatrist (because, at the time, I didn’t realize they were problems; I thought that’s what happened to everyone when they slept); (2) these changes occurred very early on in my treatment (after only 3 or 4 sessions/about 2-3 weeks into treatment); and (3) my treatment had “only” consisted of breathing exercises and muscle-relaxation exercises, combined with talks with my psychiatrist (with the exception of a couple of low-dosage Xanax tablets I had used to get through a few rounds of interviews without panicking).  I was taking no other medications at all at the time (unless you count my daily multi-vitamin). I also was not exercising (except for doing household chores and walking back and forth to my car, etc.)  My psychiatrist told me that I felt so much more rested and energized because, previously, my brain had not been resting while I was sleeping - instead it just kept going, thinking anxious thoughts throughout the night.   I will try to find my notes on the type of breathing and muscle-relaxation exercises I was doing, and then I’ll post another entry on this site when I do (I’ll do this for myself and for the rest of you because, you see, once I fell out of the habit of doing those exercises and stopped seeing my psychiatrist, my dream/sleep problems returned.  That’s why I stumbled upon this site; I was hoping to pinpoint the solution, and with the help of those who posted before me - whose experiences have helped to enlighten my own experiences- it looks like we’ll find a way to get rested and feel better.)
Ok girls and boys I am not sure who is in this list more so fill me in. I am 54 this year for the past two years I dream all night long. For the last year its even worse can you even  think it could be? I dream all night nothing really relaxing or pleasant,I wake up all night tossing and turning from side to sid eup and down. My alarm is set for 6:30 I jump right up get out of bed and get ready for work. My husband says to me how can you do that you haven't slept all night! I do it in fear of dreaming any longer. I am exhausted but need to get out of the bed. I get really tired around 3:00 in the afternoon but I keep on going I do not nap every its jus tnot me can't!
Do I take anything? Not now I have tried it all amiben ,P.M. Lunesta, none o fit works. I am not over weight good condition no problems with my heath just plain old every day life problems. I just said to my husband tonight I am tired out I aske dhim once agin how it is he sleeps he answered good,dreams some up always realxing and good thoughts.So with this all said jus twanted all of you to know I take nothing an I do the same, Seen Doctors known telling me I am Bipolar? So what is it? I sure do not know other than the fact I know my body is change I call it MENTAL PAUSE. I can't wait to some day once agin to just sleep to peace tha tI get as I look up toward the sky and see the clouds and see just nothing up peace.
hello everyone.
  I'm tired.  Every night when I go to sleep I cant shut off my brain.  There is alot of stress in my life as of late.  I have always had very vivid dreams, and 99% of the time I remember every detail.  People are in pure shock when I describe a dream to them because I can remember it like someone would remember a movie they had seen a hundred times.  Up until lately it hasnt really been a problem for me, I would just get right into it and enjoy the show.  But lately it seems like I am just an outsider watching, half asleep/half awake.  I am even able to control the dream if I dont enjoy the direction its going in.  So I lay in bed, watching myself dream, knowing that I am dreaming and it doesnt feel like sleep at all. Even when I wake up in the morning, im still 80 % in my dream. If its a good one, ill go back into it changing it as I go along.  I just want to go to sleep and actually sleep, not do all the things I didnt have time to do during the day... in a dream.  It is especially frustrating because even though I am accomplishing things and I feel like Im getting things done I am half awake and I know that its only a dream.  I just want to sleep.   I have tried reading  a book before I go to sleep because I used to have toruble falling to sleep but that only helps me get to dream land.  I has no effect on just sleeping, without being kept awake by a dream. can someone help me?
Courtney  26
It sounds to me like there is alot of habit going on in this thread.....Anxiety causes alot of habit because we create a habit to fight of the thoughts we want to stop thinking about so we are not anxious anymore (i hope that makes sense to you all lol) Mostly everyone in this thread is on meds and this vivid continuous intense dreamy state is also a side affect of meds.......now if you were to work on a new habit lets say a brisk walk to flush out any adrenalin meditation to relax the mind and release all the thoughts in the brain and memory relax the nerves, then go sleep in a different room and instead of letting the thought of "im going to dream intense and toss and turn" enter your mind entertain the thought of "im rested relaxed and i look forward to deep relaxation" give this a try you have nothing to lose.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community