Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

abdominal discomfort

I'm 48 yo.  For the past 6 years, I've experienced abdominal discomfort.  On palpation, it can feel like a dull ache, and other times it will feel like needles. I can feel nauseated or bloated with it.  The discomfort isn't really located in one specific area. It will feel worse starting about day 8 or 9 of my cycle, and ease up several days after ovulation, or about a week before my period.  I still have regular periods, that are heavy the first couple days, then taper off----no unusual cramping.  I have a couple small uterine fibroids.  More recently, I will have discomfort with intercourse.  Some days, I feel like I'm 10 months pregnant!  "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" was the diagnosis I was given.  I take Prilosec for GERD.  Has anyone else experienced these sypmptoms, and given a diagnosis or relief?
2 Responses
Good luck finding a way to cure IBS! I've had it for years and can't manage it and it's only geting worse. I am completly lactose intolerent now. Then there's the gas, bloating, alternating constipation and dirreahea. I am taking vitamins which help a bit. I am taking: Super Strength Muli-Enzyme, Peppermint Oil, Psyllium Husks, and Fenugreek. They do help. I just wish they would come out with a cure since so many people have it.
Thanks for your comment!  The interesting thing is that I don't have bouts of diarrhea and/or constipation.  They seem to be the most common sypmtoms of IBS.  Maybe hormones are the culprit, as I'm in perimenopause.  Seems they could come up with something---as you said, so many people "suffer" from IBS.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.