abdominal discomfort

I'm 48 yo.  For the past 6 years, I've experienced abdominal discomfort.  On palpation, it can feel like a dull ache, and other times it will feel like needles. I can feel nauseated or bloated with it.  The discomfort isn't really located in one specific area. It will feel worse starting about day 8 or 9 of my cycle, and ease up several days after ovulation, or about a week before my period.  I still have regular periods, that are heavy the first couple days, then taper off----no unusual cramping.  I have a couple small uterine fibroids.  More recently, I will have discomfort with intercourse.  Some days, I feel like I'm 10 months pregnant!  "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" was the diagnosis I was given.  I take Prilosec for GERD.  Has anyone else experienced these sypmptoms, and given a diagnosis or relief?
Good luck finding a way to cure IBS! I've had it for years and can't manage it and it's only geting worse. I am completly lactose intolerent now. Then there's the gas, bloating, alternating constipation and dirreahea. I am taking vitamins which help a bit. I am taking: Super Strength Muli-Enzyme, Peppermint Oil, Psyllium Husks, and Fenugreek. They do help. I just wish they would come out with a cure since so many people have it.
Thanks for your comment!  The interesting thing is that I don't have bouts of diarrhea and/or constipation.  They seem to be the most common sypmtoms of IBS.  Maybe hormones are the culprit, as I'm in perimenopause.  Seems they could come up with something---as you said, so many people "suffer" from IBS.