anemia?

I'm 16 and just found out I'm anemic. I was checked 2 years ago for anemia and my hemoglobin level was excellent. Now it's declined and i have all the tell-tale symptoms. I'm extremely fatigued, i'm dizzy, pale, etc etc. I've had my period every 1-2 weeks for the past 2 months. It's been really odd, they're really heavy, unpredictable, and close together. Before, you could set your calendar to it, now it's haywire. Is this a sign of a significant problem? or is it just a coincidence? are there any serious repercussions of anemia? should i go on birth control to regulate it?
Have you discussed this with your doctor? Are you on iron supplementation?

Andi
I agree with other poster. If you are anemic, then consult your dr. because you probabily need to get on an iron supplement.He may also be able to tell you why you are anemic. I am anemic, and take iron. Once you start the iron(if dr says it is needed) ...after a week or so, you are going to start to feel alot better..more energy etc..
Do follow directions  of pills. For instance my dr told me: about not eating certain high fiber foods right before or right after taking iron pill..because the iron can cling to the fiber and your body will not have to absorb it...that is what my dr. told me anyways.
Same with Calcium, don't take it with milk. Iron is best absorbed with Vitamin C.

Andi
thanks! I have a sheduled apppointment for next week to discuss treatment options, etc. with my doctor. My mom thinks that I should probably go on birth control to regulate my periods so they're not so intense and close together. (they think this might be the underlyng cause, but who knows at this point)
I am 45 years old and before two month ago I found out I am anemic, didnt do any work properly. I was fatigue and look pale.
But now I have improve my deficiency by using <a href="http://www.alwaysnutrition.com/productdetail.asp?pid=18565" style="text-decoration:
none; color:#000000">Advanced Ferrochel Iron</a> and I suggest to other who have iron deficiency should try this. No sooner he or she will feel improvement.
There are different causes for anemia.  You probably had your blood checked by your doctor, so follow his advice.  Hopefully, they will not stop at just determining that you are anemic, but will try to figure out the cause.  Even though you are just sixteen, I think the birth control idea might be a good one.  I am much older than you, but it has lightened my periods so that they are hardly noticeable.  Hope you are feeling better soon!