Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

birth control

hey guys. i just recently started birth control and ive heard one of the side effects is weight gain. has anyone experienced this from taking birth control?
15 Responses
Hi, yes I did - only very slight weight gain and I had a larger appetite but it all seemed to even itself out in the end and I got back to normal quickly!
I was told the weight gain was 5 lbs of water weight.  I guess I gained that.  Nothing like 20 lbs or anything though.
I take Orth Tricyclen and have never gained because of the BC, although, that is a good excuse I may start using.  I had a friend that used the exact same as I do and put on like 35 pounds.  I guess it depends on the person.  However, a little weight gain is better than an unwanted/unplanned pregnancy.  Good luck.
YES!  That and extreme moodiness.  I got off the pill and lost 8 pounds in 2 days, literally.
I did gain about 5 lbs...and dropped immediately when i went off the pill.  Be aware of the signs/symptoms that change...b/c can cause headaches, stomach aches, etc....so just be aware of what is going on with your body.  Usually those symptoms will go away after your body adjusts to them, and if they don't, then the dosage might not be correct for you.  Some women have to try several kinds before they find the right one for them.

I did have one downside to taking BC.  I could no longer wear contact lenses.  If you read the package insert it will say that is a side effect in a small percentage of people. I happened to be one of the lucky ones.  I just wear glasses, no biggie.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.