can i fast in the first trimester

i'm in my first trimester ,and as muslim we something called as month of ramadan and we have to fast from 5:00 am to 7:50pm is something going to happen to my baby please answer me quikly i have to know
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
msniki412- yes i know shes not on a diet. and i know its part of her religion but your not supposed to start any type of diet when pregnant and... fasting is a temporray diet. if your use to eatting...then dont for religious or personal reasons...thats a type of diet.

Helpful - 0
This came up at work recently with a pregnant patient.

Yes, you are exempt from the rules about fasting if you are pregnant or have any other health condition that might adversely effect you.  

We had to check on this with a religiious expert for our patient.  He said pregnancy is an exempting condition.

Helpful - 0
Hi Zainab,
I have read a similar question to this and it brought foward many debates. Some people say that pregnant and eldery people are allowed to eat in this period as they are excused from the law. I don't know if that is true or not.
If you are serious about honoring you religion and you want to fast between those times - i would make an effort to get up during the night and have a snack then eat just before 5:00 and just after 7:50pm so you and your baby are getting enough nutrients. Make sure you take a pregnancy vitamin and get plenty of rest during ramadan.
I hope all goes well.
Helpful - 0
she's not starting a new diet Kim, its part of her religion.
Helpful - 0
nothings going to happen to your baby. but you shouldnt start a new diet. and fasting would be under that category
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.