cystocele rectocele surgery

I am 57 and scheduled for this surgery next week, I have been told that the surgery will take 2 hours and I will be in the hospital overnight.  I am assuming that I will be back to work in 2 or 3 weeks.  Now, I am reading that most of the women that had this procedure had no idea how major it was... Is this true?  Has anyone had good results ?

This discussion is related to I have questions about cystocele and rectocele surgery.
was your surgery successful, i will be undergoing this is 2 weeks and I am having second thoughts. Any info would be great
mo
I am also going to be having recotcele surgery, at least I am pretty sure, I get the final word next Wed.  Hoping the recovery isn't as bad as everyone says it is.
   I just had a double surgery Rectocele and Hysterectomy at the same time.
Expect to be in the hospital at least 3  to 6 days.
And don't be fooled into thinking it won't take 6 to 8 weeks to recover,  cause it will.!!        you will start to feel great & like you can do anything,  
but don't,  or you'll be bed ridden,  I know from experience!  
Don't be alarmed,  when you realize that horrific smell is coming from you,
expect to have discharge for 2 to 3 weeks,  its blood & bodily fluid from surgery. Also right after surgery you can expect to have a lot of gas, from surgery, that's where most of my pain & discomfort came from.
The worst part is trying to take a poop, im not sugar coating the facts,
you will be crying with every poop for at least 2 weeks, you have to have a high fiber diet and take a stool softener, morning & night,
don't worry if you go several days without a bowl movement,  Doctors say that's normal, I would go 3 days without,  & 1 with.
Rember no house work,  no normal routine,  even if you seam up for it,  don't.
    The Doctors also say no sex for 6 to 8 weeks, this is very important,  because your insides are healing & they are moving around finding their new places & they have to reattach in a different way, sex can brake everything apart, & cause more problems.  
Good news after about 3 weeks,  foreplay is fine,  but nothing is to be inserted,
  you can still achieve multiple organisms,  witn no pain!
I don't know any long term affects,  because I'm still recovering my self,  but if I can pass along my experience,  maby it will help someone,  wish I had someone to warn me of what to expect.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am seeing a urogyno for rectocele plus fibroids which have returned after being removed less than 12 months ago, so possible hysterectomy. I was told 3 weeks recovery and I could return to work. I am a teacher and tend to be on my feet all day moving around the classroom, plus my classes are not always in the same room, so I walk around the school as well. I am going to give myself the full 8 weeks to recover. Again, thank you for sharing and wishing you well in your continued recovery.
I am scheduled to have a vaginal hysterectomy for cystocele and rectocele. However, everything I've read says they've gained 20/30 pounds as a result do the surgery. Did you?