endo and pregnancy

Hi, I have endo and have been on depo provera for 2 1/2 years. I still have pain when the last injection wears off, but I'm 28 and I know that if I'm going to try to get pregnant I should soon while my chances are better. My question is that I have heard that even though when you go off depo and your period comes back right away, it can still take a year before you begin ovulating again, does anyone know about this or been in this experience. I want to try but I don't know how long I can stand the pain since before depo I had cramps every day even on the pill and when I had my period I was bed ridden for 4-7 days because the pain was so bad.
In the most extreme scenarios depo remains in the system for 12-18 months. I am unsure if that is the norm for everyone though. I was also on it for some time due to endo and although it was years ago I seem to recall that my cycles regulated pretty quickly.