getting pregnant on period

I have heard several different things about if you can or can't get pregnant while on your period. How is ovualation possible while on the period?
No, I do not think I am; however, I have always had irregular periods. I didn't take a p. test because I started before I was supposed to and now I have been going for 20 days straights. Obviously, I can't figure out if or when I am ovualating this month. I don't have a doctors appointment for two weeks and I hate to miss the chance of getting pregnant between now and then. Is it unhealthy or impossible to try or get pregnant while you are spotting or bleeding? Also, this is a stupid question is there anyway to make the bleeding stop naturally?