later found out pregnant after negative blood and urine tests?.............

Simple question here, has anyone ever had a negative blood test and negative urine test and went on with their daily routine and a month or so later found out you were in fact pregnant while having ultrasound done. If this has happened to anyone or perhaps someone you know, please respond, I'd appreciate the information. Thanks.

ms_smiles
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
We have been trying to get pregnant,for 6 months, first time I've missed my period, I am 9 days late, I had a lot of urine tests and the Dr.s test say negative, my breasts are larger, I feel like Ive gained weight in my  midsection, Im tired alot! I have some cramping on an off, I had tingling in my breast that recently stopped! Im going crazy, I have heart burn, what can this be!!!!!
Helpful - 3
Ask your doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound.  
They should have done a follow up ultrasound after the blood test came back negative.  A good doctor would do that.  These days even good doctors are so overloaded in their practice that they aren't thorough enough.
I had to be pushy and assertive about my own health and the health of my child when all the tests came back negative.
I took my mind off of it for awhile, but when the symptoms started up again I asked for an ultrasound and what do you know?  A baby.
Blood tests, like hpts, are not 99% or whatever they claim to be.  There are so many variables in women and in the professionals who take care of our reproductive systems.  Yes, the doctor read the test results--but who performed the test in the lab varies.

I am so tired of women who think that everything is "textbook" just because their bodies and pregnancies are/were.
Yes, we all have the same lady parts, but they do not behave the same way!
To them I say, "Well lucky you!"  That is one reason I decided to start sharing on this forum.

With the symptoms, I would ask for the ultrasound to check and make sure there is nothing wrong with your ovaries and not for pregnancy as some doctors won't (that way when they check your ovaries they have no choice but to take a view of your uterus as well with the transvaginal ultrasound; by saying you want to check and make sure you don't have cysts--which can cause these symptoms--you take care of two things at once).

I am not an expert by any means.  But, I am an educated woman who has been through quite a bit.  I am not with my boyfriend anymore, and I was not trying to conceive, so I knew it wasn't imagined.

Take your mind off of it for a while.  See how you feel. Then, call your gyno and ask for the ultrasound.
Helpful - 1
WHY YOU STILL MIGHT BE PREG EVEN WHEN THE TEST SAY NO!!!
I've been having alot of the same issues you are all experiencing.  So after alot of time researching I've came accross some really interesting information that I was totally unaware of until this very frustrating experience...when your body tells your pregnant but all the blood work and hpt's say your not.  
SO apparently the current blood tests, as well as most of the urine tests test for Hcg...we all are probably aware of that but what you may not know is that there is such a thing as VARIENT HCG'S which a  slightly different structure that go undetected with current tests available.  
ALSO... after about 7 weeks it is common for the Normal HCG to break down into a alpha unit and beta unit (Beta unit is what the normal blood test tests for) BUT the beta unit after week 7 can for some people ALSO BREAKS DOWN FURTHER into FRAGMENTS which ARE NOT ALWAYS DETECTIBLE BY THE REGULAR BLOOD TEST... actually too much of it will give a false negative on blood Hcg test!!! This may make it appear you are not pregnant or are experiencing a miscarriage!!!
So moral of the story we hear stories all the time of women who never got a positive pregnancy test but low and behold they do an ultrasound later in the process and find out they are in fact pregnant, but this has to be the reason why.  
It's important to to realize if you do find yourself pregnant and they are concerned that your levels are not rising at the rate they should when you hit week 7 they usually take that to determine you are going to have a miscarriage when in reality your levels could be rising and they don't have the ability to test the varients or the fragmented beta hcg you may be producing leading them to misdiagnose you witha miscarriage and push you to preform a D & C or take misoprostol to complete the miscarriage.
Also if you have tilted uterus it is also possible with a ultasound both abdominal and transvaginal that the ultrasound can be off as much a two weeks (a false two weeks behind in developement) because the sound waves can be distorted.  
So moral of the story we may very well be pregnant and the medical profession just does not have the ability to test for the variations in the hormones we produce. So if you feel like you are, then I say assume you are until your body goes back to normal...especially if you've excluded things like ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts and all other more serious causes have been ruled out.
Helpful - 1
I am yet another one of the 1%'rs, who after getting 5 negative hpt results, two neg urine tests one neg blood test at the obgyn, was found to be about 20 weeks PREGNANT via ultrasound just two days after the last negative pregnancy test at the clinic..
So it looks like my fibroid/perimenopause/cannot be because those tests are 99% accurate is blissfully unaware that she didn't exist ...yet, I presented every sign, down to cervical position, 20 lb unexplained weight gain, spotting in place of a formerly dead-on 29 day cycle, "enlarged uterus", swelling, nausea, copious white vaginal discharge and elevated blood sugars.
Ladies, go with your gut and keep insisting on a scan.
Helpful - 1
99.8% is what a box says.
I am so tired of women replying to other women this way.
Hcg varies.  Yes, ideally, the body would be making enough to be read by a test.  However, if the body makes too much (lets say in the case of twins), a urine test from the store will not always be accurate.  And, every woman and every pregnancy is so very, very different.
Helpful - 1
Yes.i have the same problem.negativ urine...negative blood test.i went to the dr.and told me that i have drop of blood in the sack.maybe it is early pregnancy.but all the test ..negative..i feel something moving left and right in my uterus.maybe it is too early.i dont know what is happening.
Helpful - 1
It's possible you are. Coventional Doctors go by only one marker of pregnancy, HCG, and a static snapshot of what they see in ok ne single moment. Many women, including myself had negative blood and ur in ne tests, even an ultrasound that was negative. Come to find out the fetus was hiding behind a fibroid and was the reason why it was not seen. Get to a competent acupuncturist to help reduce fibroids and trust what you feel in your body. I've learned doctors are not the gods we make them out to be. Did you know high HCG could also mean cancer so just because someone has it present does not mean pregnancy either. So it's better to have a false negative than false positive. Blessings!
URINE AND BLOOD PREGNANCY TEST AND DOCTORS ARE NOT ALWAYS CORRECT!

I am 47 years old and I am 18 weeks pregnant. I have taken MANY hpts and two blood tests and they have ALL been negative. I knew I was pregnant 4 days after conception but no medical professional would believed me. I even had a trans-vaginal u/s at about 15 weeks that missed the baby (trans-vaginal ultrasounds can miss a baby after 10 weeks due to the uterus rising out of the pelvis by then). It has since been confirmed by an abdominal ultrasound.  I even had one OB tell me that I am in menopause and that my ovaries have completely shut down and I need hormones. He then wrote me a prescription for PremPro (which I never filled of coarse). I have had almost every symptom that exists but none of them have been sever. I have also been spotting for two or three days every month at the time I would normally have my period. This is known as "decidual bleeding" and is associated with hormonal imbalances and the "negative" pregnancy tests.  I began feeling movement around 14 weeks, which is early, but I believe that it is due to the fact that I had a tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction 3 years ago, so my abdomen is VERY flat and tight. My best friend went through this exact same thing with her first son.  She never tested positive during the entire pregnancy and no one believed her until about 20 weeks.  Her son is now almost 25. These pregnancies are known as "cryptic pregnancies" they fly under the radar because the fetus does not put out enough Hcg to cause positive tests and to stop monthly bleeding.  The bottom line is that NO PREGNANCY TEST, URINE OR BLOOD, IS ALWAYS 100%! People like to say and believe they are, but it is simply not true.  If you feel as though you are pregnant and continue to have symptoms, take care of yourself as though you are pregnant, until you know with out a doubt.  No one else knows your body better than you! Medical professionals and technology CAN be wrong!

Helpful - 1
dear mrs. know-it-all and all like you,
this is the biggest crock of sht. there are WHOLE FORUMS out there with women who have had VERY HEALTHY babies attest to the fact that they had negative urine AND blood tests up until as late as 6 months. Science is absolutely very helpful but it is not perfect. And EVEN IF a test is 99.8% accurate, .2 % of 6 billion people on the planet is what ... ? several million. Several million women on the planet who's bodies for some reason do not trigger pregnancy tests. All of these forums and discussion boards have women who start them simply asking if there are other women who have gone through the same thing. If you have, share your story. If not, then the question does not pertain to you. I'm sick and tired of coming on these forums and seeing replies like these by people who have NOT experienced the situation in question (GOOD FOR YOU), leave discouraging comments like "no, that would be impossible" or essentially saying there is something wrong, when in fact, they do not know that, it is there opinion only, and they are speaking on things which they have no idea. Leaving the initial answerer to feel even more anxious and scare and alone then when they started. All they are asking for is support and for anyone who may have happened to experience the same thing to share. I personally have a friend who is 28, has 5 children, and on the 4th pregnancy (she already had 3 by then so clearly she knew what it was like to be pregnant) got negative blood AND urine tests all the way until four months. In fact, she never did get a positive test - she had to have an ultrasound confirm her pregnancy. So not only are all women's pregnancies different, sometimes the SAME woman differs from child to child or pregnancy to pregnancy. If you don't know and have never experienced what the inquirer is asking about, please keep your smart alecky, know it all, negative OPINIONS to your self.
Helpful - 1
You may be pregnant or your hormones are out of whack causing high estrogen.. estrogen is what pregnant women have that gives those symptoms... bad hormones cause weight gain, breast grotwth, blue veins caused by breast growth, pelvic pain and discharge, naysea, headaches , fatigue and breast tenderness.. If you get a negative test then you are probably not pregnant. a lot of things can make your hormones off.. stress and anxiety among other things!! My advice is to get an ultrasound and demand it if they won't, most will gladly help. Also get blood work to check everything including hormones, thyroid and pregnancy. If your ultrasound shows no pregnancy and no other problems and your blood work turns up fine,,, request a laparoscopic procedure. It's an exploratory surgery to look for problems undetected by an ultrasound, one being endometriosis.. Because if you have problems like this then it can make you infertile and cause a lot of problems. You need an ultrasound and blood work and if everything is okay then you NEED a laparoscopic procedure.. Then if everything turns up okay then it may be related to other stomach issues and a CT scan would be the final step. Good Luck and hopefully you are pregnant and your hormones aren't playing nasty tricks on you. If your estrogen is high and you are not pregnant it will make you have pregnancy symptoms and cause big problems. Usually your doctor will give you progesterone cream to rub all over your body. Seems odd but it works!!!!!! All your symptoms will be gone. Occasionally they will give you pills. One note is NEVER let anyone give you birth control even if you have pregnancy symptoms because it will give you WAY too much estrogen if you are pregnant or have high hormone levels. You will feel worse instead of better and gain weight!!!

Okay this is my pregnancy story. I started having symptoms 2 weeks after sex and ovulation. Not nausea but breast tenderness, minor cramps but bad lower backaches and headaches. Negative urine and blood and they wouldn't give me an ultrasound because I had one months earlier, not thinking I was pregnant because I had an ovarian torsion. Anyway I was upset because I figured I was not pregnant having a negative test at home but I did KNOW something was NOT right.

I let go of that assumption and had REAL symptoms until I was 3 months along and minor ones afterwards.. Well besides my stomach growing... By the time I thought I would have been 5 months pregnant I looked 7 months pregnant. I went to the ob and she was shocked at my stomach and everyone asked me how far along I was... She ran a urine test, still negative.. Oh she swore I couldn't be pregnant because of the negative test.. She thought I had massive fibroids which can make you look and feel pregnant and also high hormones out of whack causing "symptoms" of pregnancy !! She thought I had high estrogen, which is also what pregnant women get.. She said that was causing all the symptoms! So she gave me an ultrasound and I was 5 months pregnant, exactly the time I thought. But I looked bigger then 5 months and I had a fibroid which she said most women have but just don't know it until pregnancy because it makes them grow rapidly!!!

Also the very first blood/urine test I had was negative and I was still having a period until like the 6th month so she thought oh your not pregnant,, granted my period was lighter then usual. It was heavier then a panty liner but lighter then normal. She said the fibroid was making me bleed each month. But she understood the bleeding but not the negative pregnancy test!! At 5 months a lot of symptoms vanished for awhile, besides minor cramps, fluttering and frequent urination. Then at 6-7 months I had a lot more symptoms again!!

I often wondered if my meds caused the negative tests.. Those meds and many meds have never been tested for use with pregnancy tests.Iwas on Lyrica, anti anxiety meds and antidepressants. It could have just been low hormones, I don't know. This is more common in first pregnancies. My situation is rare but more common then you read.. Tests are not 99% accurate.. They are in some people with every pregnancy but with some people they are not accurate until 3 months pregnant and some until 6 months pregnant.. I would say they are between 40-60% accurate.. My mom was the same way and a few friends and 1 aunt and some cousins.. The rest had positives quickly but it's enough to prove that the tests are not 99% accurate.. Sorry it's just not true!!!!!
Helpful - 1
hello, after reading your posts I wanted to tell you my story because I thought maybe you guys can help me since I have similar symptoms to yours but not as far along, but here's my story I had my first child when I was 19 um I didn't figure out I was pregnant until I was 3 months but that was just because I didn't wasn't noticing signs and symptoms of my first pregnancy and I was new at that kind of stuff, I had my second kid of 3 years later um that 1 I knew I was pregnant right away when I got pregnant cause I had weird fluttery cramps and all the signs of being pregnant which already having 1 kid I knew what it felt like to be pregnant, so I know I was pregnant again I had taken 3 or 4 home pregnancy test and they all came back negative and when I and I haven't had my period In like 3 months that was just another added on sign telling me that I was pregnant so not having a home pregnancy test work I went 2 have the doctor so they could do a test it came back not negative but not positive either and the doctor said they detected A small amount of that hormone but not enough to tell me I was pregnant they thought it was a miscarriage, but I looked at the doctor and said no I haven't bled and almost 3 months. so she said come back in a week and we'll do another test so I came back in a week and my hormone levels have tripled there for giving me my positive pregnancy test, I had my tubes tied the day after I had a given birth to her because I have a complication with my uterus it's a bicornate uterus, I'm not sure if you know what that is but in the end that a woman has 2 uteruses instead of 1 kind of like in a heart shape, and I only found that out when I got pregnant I didn't know that before and then I found out that it's partially septated too and if you don't know what that means there's a blockage going halfway down between my 2 uteruses so with my first pregnancy I was on bed rest at 30 weeks and I delivered early  at 36 and a half weeks and with my next pregnancy I was on bed rest at 25 weeks for until 36 weeks and then was induced at 39 weeks and so that is the reason for my tubal but now 2 years later after having it done I have been having symptoms and signs that I might be pregnant. it started um with my last period it was Normal on January 25th was the last day of my period and I had intercourse with my boyfriend and then after that we went into February and a couple days before my period was supposed to start I started getting nauseous, which was normal because after I had my second child I felt really nauseated after every time I got pregnant but that was the only symptom I ever had. so after being 3 days late my symptoms started getting worse a and I started having more symptoms like tiredness I was thirsty more I was hungry more, going to the bathroom every hour. on the fourth day I'm supposed to have my period I started getting spotting and you know like that brown stuff before your period Actually starts the next 3 days there was bleeding but it was very light not normal not anything like my normal period, my normal period I would feel morning sickness type stuff for um like 3 days before it and then I would start my. 3 days later after that and it would last for like 7 to 10 days and it would start of light and it would get really really heavy. so I realize it kinda rambling and I don't know if all sit together and make sense some just going to some it up for you real quick, got my. In January it was normal February my period With 3 days late only lasted 3 days and was very very like a lot lighter than and normally its, I made a doctor's appointment to get a blood pregnancy test since the urine ones they weren't working real well and so then I was about 6 or 7 weeks a long when I went to have the blood pregnancy test and it just came back negative and then so she told me to come back in 3 weeks after I have this month period And then she she would do a bunch of test to try and figure out what's causing the symptoms I'm having, so after I got my negative to say that okay I'm not pregnant and today and change my mind because when I woke up I had really weird dreams and all of my pregnancy symptoms I'm having now I had with my other 2 pregnancies. tiredness I get worn out really quick I'm gaining weight my stomach actually getting bigger,  my boobs are getting bigger there tender I'm hungrier I'm thirstier I go to bathroom like every hour, I have really crazy dreams which I have only had when I've been pregnant I have heartburn which I only get when I'm pregnant. my mom doesn't want me to be pregnant I don't know why probably because you think I can handle it my boyfriend pretty much gloated to me in the doctor's office and they told me I wasn't pregnant so I just feel like everybody thinks I'm crazy because me and my body feel like I'm pregnant but there's no proof and nobody believes me cuz there's no proof, and I feel flutters and stuff in my body in it moving around and I know stuff changing in there and I just don't know what to do when I thought maybe you could have some answers for me or something for me to try.
Helpful - 1
the studies the prove the above...Varient Hcg and Fragmented Core Beta Hcg...
http://www.aacc.org/events/podcast/Documents/072709Gronowski.pdf
http://www.clinchem.org/content/56/12/1839.full.pdf

There are more out there.  If your still having symptoms and they tests are negative bring this up to your doctor and see if their lab has the ability to dilute the sample to see if a true positive can be obtained.
Helpful - 1
Okay, so here is my story. I am 23 years old, married, and I came off birth control in January. Since coming off of birth control, my period has been anywhere from 5-8 days late. I got periods in January, February, and March, and they all were regular periods that lasted 4 days with heavy bleeding and cramping the first day and half to light bleeding for the rest of the days. My last period started March 8th, and ended on March 11th. I was supposed to get my period April 5th. It never came. A few days after I was supposed to get my period I started having occasional light cramping, that would come and go. Then I started getting brown discharge, when I wiped, and a very little in my underwear. The discharge finally went away after like a week, but the cramping never did. I still have the occasionally cramping. I really thought none of this, I just attributed it to, stress, and pressure of buying a home, and the fact that my period is a bit irregular since coming off the pill. My sister insisted I take a HPT. She said since my period has always been pretty regular, and its not here, and the fact I have brown discharge, and the cramping, that I need to test. Plus we have a good friend who is pregnant and she didn't test positive on the stick until she was almost 6 weeks along. I took two HPT within a few days of each other and both turned up negative. So, I waited another week for my period, before calling my OBGYN. He gave me a urine and blood test, and it all came back negative. He said it is plausible that I just missed a period. And he said that the brown discharge was probably just a "wacky period" I told him that my next period if it was on schedule, would be due in 5 days. I asked him when I should be concerned that I haven't gotten my period yet. He told me not to worry until I came back to him in 6-8 weeks for my annual exam. Its been two weeks since that exam, and I still haven't gotten my period. Just the occasional cramping. Does anyone have any advice? Should I wait that long to see my doctor again or make another appointment?

*I was supposed to get my next period on May 3rd
Helpful - 0
ak2
I is so hard to wait to! but You would spend the money and the doc would say it is neg. Well the good news is that our bodys will take care of it and we really dont need the + test. I hope you the best well keep us posted at lest one oof us will be able to figure it out.
Helpful - 0
HI ak2, you are so right about that. Our bodies were designed to take care of themselves, that's why when the doctor tried to give me some pills to make my period come on, I said no, I am not gonna take something to start myself to bleeding and then feel guilty later on if I find out that I was indeed pregnant, ya know what I mean? I'd rather just let my period kick back in on it's own. I started to do a bit of cramping on today and saw a little bloody discharge. Wasn't alot of blood. I figure at this point, if I am pregnant, it won't come down too much, and if I'm not, then it will continue to come on down. But I guess I can't really go by that either, cause I know alot of women say that they bleed and still be pregnant, so really I guess it's just a waiting game either way you look at it, right?

ms_smiles
Helpful - 0
ak2
on another  site i saw a girl that had her period though her hole prenancy. This site is good if we still chat others will start to no feel alone and will see our journey through this, what ever it is. I hope the best to you and finding out what is up.
Helpful - 0
I have also heard of quite a few people who say they bled the whole pregnancy. The little bit of blood I'm seeing, I could still be pregnant, just a matter of time to find out. Maybe all the test had been coming out negative cause the baby probably hadn't implanted itself into the uterus lining. Reason I say that is because I thought about when it's about that time for a period to come on, a bit of blood comes with some cramping but it don't be as full or long as a regular period. When it does that, the baby is usually implanting itself in the uterus. So, if that is the case with me, since i just started to see some blood today for the first time and it keeps leaving and coming back little bit at a time, maybe I am just going through that implantation process and I know that you won't get a positive test at all until the implantation takes place so the hcg can be dispersed into the urine and the blood. I found that out through simple research online. Hope it was of some help. I'll continue to watch and see what happens.

ms_smiles
Helpful - 0
ak2
implantion accors 7-14 days after ovulation. I dont know what the hcg isnt showing up or if your not prego why we feel these fealings. I had an IUD before this and while i had that i loved it. Now i have all these symtoms Well we will see this next week im supose to start.
Helpful - 0
Well mine came down today like a flood, so I guess it was all wishful thinking for me. I'll continue to keep you updated on any further news in the future. I'm just glad at least my period started to get all this bloat out of my stomache and now I don't have to be wondering what's going on anymore. I wish you the best. Let me know how things turn out for you okay? God bless ya.

ms_smiles
Helpful - 0
ak2
well now you can try agian and hopfully your body will stop plan tricks
Helpful - 0
i have been reading your posts and although i havent been able to offer any advice, throughout all of your posts you sounded so very excited at the possibly be pregnant. if i am not mistaken, you thought you were for quite some time. now you have your period. how do you feel about it? are you okay? you seem very calm after all of the excitement.
Helpful - 0
Hi kjsk, First of all, thank you so much for your concern. I was pretty excited there for a moment. I am still trying to be okay with this whole thing. I guess I am sort of numb to the disappointment of not being pregnant. I have been hurt so many times getting my hopes up and then I either have a miscarriage or simply my period starts, so I guess I am just somewhat trying to put my best face forward and just pray one day that I would be able to carry another baby full term. My one and only child turns 21 years old on tomorrow. I have been wanting another child for years now. Just haven't been having any luck. I had three miscarriages in a 18 month time frame between 2001 and 2002. I had gotten the positive blood tests and everything back then, but by the time I found out I was pregnant, I think I had just been doing too much strenuous things to carry it. So, to make a long story short, that's why I try to put on a happy face to keep from really crying and breaking down. In the mean time, yall just keep me in prayer that one day I can carry another little one full term. Again, thanks for your concern and I wish you the best!!

ms_smiles
Helpful - 0
i thought so girl...i could hear the pain/hurt in your tone even though you werent expressing disappointment. for some reason it just isnt the right time right now and maybe you dont know why that is, but your day will come when the time is right and when you are least expecting it. just curious, are you over 40? age can play a factor as im sure you already know. can slow the whole process down. try one of those ovulation detector kits if you are really trying to conceive (if you have not already). maybe that will give you some idea of when things are "good to go". sorry your hopes were up but just know there was some reason why it didnt happen at this particular time. happy bday to your son! 21? now thats stress! in time you'll feel okay again. it is hard to accept especially if your body and mind felt differently.
Helpful - 0
Thanks again for the response. I am 38. Got a birthday coming up in a week. So as you can see, I am still a little under 40. One thing that kinda keeps my hopes up is the fact that one day I had just thrown in the towel and said....forget it, I am not trying to get pregnant anymore cause maybe I just can't have anymore kids, and the lord showed me different. He allowed me to get pregnant those three times to let me know that I am still capable of conceiving, but he's just not ready for me to have another one right now. It was almost as if he was right in front of my face with both hands on my arms letting me know, that it's just not time yet!!! So, everytime I think of that, it makes me feel better to know that at least I can still conceive. So as I always tell myself, if I can conceive it and believe it, one day I'll achieve it!! Continue to pray for me and I'll let you know when it happens.

ms_smiles
Helpful - 0
ak2
I know a lady that thought she was going through the change and was pregnat and she didnt thing she could have another on but God had a diffrent plan for her.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.