lump behind ear

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but you all have been very helpful in the past.  I have been under a fair amount of stress lately just with exams and college.  I also had laparoscopic surgery on 11/22 to remove a dermoid if that has anything to do with the situation.  I noticed today that I had a dull pain/pressure behind my left ear that seems to be fanning to my left sinus area.   When I went to rub back there I noticed a small, yet noticable lump an index fingers width away from the back of my ear just before where my hair line starts.  I am planning on making an appointment with my doctor for Monday, but was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas as to what could have caused it or what it may be.  The weather here has been very high humidity and rain so I was wondering if it could be related to me getting a sinus infection.  I also wore sun glasses on my head a couple days ago for most of the day and the lump is wear my glasses would have rubbed my skin.  Thanks for your advice and for reading this post.  Feel free to use it as an open forum =)
I just thought I'd add that the lump isn't by my jaw, but rather half way up my ear and directly behind that.  Sorry if that's even more confusing than what I posted.
I will not be able to give you any advice but I know there are a lot of different kinds of lumps behind the ear and very different causes. So, now that we know the exact location... it would be good to know the size and what it feels like. Having had a hard "lump behind my ear", same location, all my life, I was wondering whether you may have had that lump for a long time and only discovered it now due to the sinus infection pains? My dad had the same lump I have and we were told it was some kind of harmless calcification. Hope it turns out harmless for you too.
ha sorry for leaving out that kinda detail, it feels hard and is stationary. I just noticed it this afternoon when I was driving home from work and felt some pain coming from the area of the lump.     I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not that I happen to be having signs of a sinus infection coming on or not.  I also called my parents after the post and my dad apparently has a large lump on his head that he was told was harmless so maybe I'm taking after my father.  Thanks for your help.
Hey,
Thank you all for your advice, I still am going to try and get in to the doctors tomorrow.  It seems a bit smaller today and isn't as painful, but I'm still semi-concerned and am just hoping I'm battling a sinus infection or am run down. It's hard to explain about the lump, it is above my jaw joint and is still fairly hard and hasn't moved.  Thanks!
hey,
i have never posted here in reply to a question so i hope i can help, I occasionly have a lump behind my ear that usuallly appears when i am stressed or rundown and it can be painful not unbearable just noticable so i went to the doctor and he explained this lump is caused by my body fighting a bug or not being 100% well and trying to get rid of it,and even if you feel 100% you could still be fighting a bug. i have noticed that when i have a colds or feel extremly run down it appears again. the after a while it goes again.
hope this helps,
Em x
Emzilou`s bump sounds a bit more like the lymph node bump which would sit lower. Not sure. Anyway, mine - and my dad`s - is hard as well and feels rather like part of the skull bone, about 3/8" diameter. That`s all I can add....
It definitely sounds like a swollen lymph node. One thing to bear in mind - I had (actually still have) a pea-sized lump on my jaw and had it checked out last year. My doctor said as a rule of thumb, if the lump is soft and can be moved around, it is generally harmless, but if it is hard, it needs evaluation. So it's a good idea to have it looked at as soon as you can.
i found, what sounds like, the same lump behind my left ear. It's hard & stationary & a little painful if I push on it. I just noticed it today.  I have been a little stressed out lately...planning my wedding.  I does worry me though even though I'm only 36 & otherwise healthy.  Should I be concerned??
I woke up this morning after a painful night with a similar lump as described above. I went in to the Docs. office and after some further examination I have some unexplained hair loss, fatigue and a history of irregular periods. The docs took blood to check my thyroid for certain things. She was not too specific, with that being said I am extremely worried. I have been looking around on the internet feeding my fears of some sort thyroid cancer. The doc wont have any word for at least a week, should I be worried? I am a single mom and only 27, my life is beginning to flash before me!
I too have a lump behind my ear, have thyroid issues, fatique, irregular periods, anemia, iron defiecency, and just this morning had blood work and ultrasound done of thyroid. I am 28 and a single mom. I understand the stress. Most of this started yesterday because of a headache I thought was a migraine. This morning I woke up and decided I can't change anything. Whatever happens happens for a reason. But no matter what I know I can beat it, there's a child who needs me. Stay positive! I'm sure it will help you as well.
I have a painful lump about the size of  which is both moveable and hard, located right below my right earlobe just above the jaw where it curves to meet the ear. Though the lump is hard sometimes I swear the area around it is squishy. I've have a low white blood cell count, itching, nech aches esp. that area and below that are on my neck. Sometimes my chest hurts but I don't know if it's related to this. I'm really not sure what could be related to this. I've seen a Doc. all she did was feel it. She told me lymph node's (s/p?) aren't located in this ear (pre-say) or at least not ones this large and if it was one there would be more bumps. I don't have insurance.. so it is going to be harder for me to get a biopsy.
CORRECTION: (oops) it's about the size of .. well I couldn't think of what to compare it to, possibly a golfball except it's really not that big and not round. It's more like an inch, and kind of flat like.