lump in armpit, painful

2 Days ago I discovered a painful large lump in my armpit.  I have not yet gone to see a doctor because I do not get insurance until January.  I've looked up different articles in regards to lumps.  They say if it's a painless lump that’s hard and fixed in place is more likely to be cancer than one that’s painful, softer, and moveable.  Well mine is painful, but hard and fixed in place.  From my armpit heading toward my elbow it's red.  How worried should I be?  Does this sound more like an infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice,
Beth
Did you get scratched by a cat?  It could be cat scratch fever.  

It sounds like an infection and you need to call your primary care doctor in the morning.  The redness is very concerning.  You might even call tonight and see if it can wait til morning.