period after abortion

i had a surgical abortion done on feb 5 2011, in this clinic in queens ny, i went to the follow up on the 19 of feb and all they asked me was am i bleeding at that moment, did i have blood in my urine, and how im feeling,and  they did a pregnancy test, i was expecting that they would ve done a vaginal exam but they said it wasnt necessary due to the fact that i wasnt bleeding, so i go home and on sunday i woke up bleeding, and then monday i started bleeding very heavy, i called the clinic and expressed my concern and they said it could either be my period or whats left of the abortion, but my period is never heavy, so my question is, is it possible that you could get your period in 3 weeks after an abortion and can it be heavy even if your normal cycle is not heay  
I would say I would get another opinion hun! If your period isn't heavy ever and your bleeding pretty badly I would go get checked by another Dr.Sorry my reply is so late I'v  been outta town with no computer taking care of my father!