severe pain

My 16 year old daughter was awakened  yesterday with severe abdominal pain on her left side and nausea.  She rated it a "10" and she is usually pretty pain tolerant.  She continued to report pain levels at about an "8"  or "9" despite being administered pain meds through her IV at the ER. The pain was worse when she coughed or if pressure was applied to the area.  However if pressure was applied then released it was more painful after the release. The pain was constant at first then less frequent but still as intense.  Her blood tests, CT scan and ultrasound were normal.  She had not previously had a pelvic exam and is not sexually active.  The doctor did a manual exam.  The ultrasound was confined mainly to an external look.  Her period started today and she was still experiencing pain.  She has had cramps before but not this kind of intense sharp pain. What are we looking at?
I don't know what it is but hope your daughter is feeling better.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Chronic (not acute) appendicitis?  What kind of workup did they do in the hospital?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Also, did they check for ovarian torsion?

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.