sharp cramping

I finished my period yesterday and i am never really bothered with period cramping. I have bouts of IBS now and again but have never experienced anything like this and i am on the contraceptive pill and have been for 6 years. Today i have had sharp cramps as if i would be about to start a period and also a slight pain in my hips and lower back. please help if you know what this could be?!
The various possibilities which present with such pain in the lower abdomen are diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, bowel obstruction, ovarian cysts and pelvic inflammatory disease,irritable bowel syndrome , kidney obstruction or pyelonephritis, psoas abscess  and volvolus (twisting of the sigmoid part of the large bowel on itself).In your case,it can be due to worsening of IBS.Are you taking any medication for it?

Investigations like ultrasound abdomen, CT abdomen and colonoscopy are required to confirm a diagnosis.My advise is to consult a gastroenterologist and discuss these possibilities with him.Also start with treatment of IBS if you are not taking any.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Were you on the pill that long to prevent pregnancy or to regulate your periods?

I was told i had IBS for 17 yrs when I ended up have rectovaginal Endometriosis which is related to periods. I also you used to get the cramping where you are having it as well.

Did you take anything to alleviate the pain? Did it help?

does it hurt to have a bowel movement? If you had one did the pain go away?

Did the pain start hurting after you ate something?

If you have IBS have you had a colonoscopy done to confirm and if so have you had one recently?