skin discoloration in armpits and vaginal area

I am white, and I have dark skin discoloration under my arms and in the vaginal area.  It is embarrassing to me to even go to the doctor to ask about it because it looks "dirty".  Is there any way that I can fix this problem or is it normal?
I would say you are NORMAL. I'm black and even my armpits and stuff are darker. I'm pretty sure it's because hair grows there. it's funny that its darker in the areas that the sun don't shine..
i also have the darkening of the skin under my arms and back of my neck.. i went to special clenic from wayne state university.. it is a free clinic that helps children and adults with weight issues.. well i am overwight and its hard for me to lose weight and i have something called the metabolic syndrome.. which is where yer body produces too much insulin and stores it as fat.. but neways.. my doctor told me the name of the skin discoloration but i can not remember it.. im not sure if u are overweight but there actually is hardly a cure for it.. all i need to do and if u also are overweight is work on losing weight and it will help lighten the color.. they are working on a cure for it and the reason for it is not sure.. but this clinic is wonderful.
darkening of the skin in those areas is usually a sign of insulin resistance and is a precursor to diabetes.  you should go be checked out...
I have discoloration in my vagina. I am white and it is a much darker color than the rest of my skin. I dont have the problem in my arm pits like the other girls have mentioned. My question is...Is there any way to reverse the discoloration. To answer a couple of questions that may be asked yes I am sexually active and have been for 12 years, I also have had 3 children. Its been a while since anyone has posted on this question but I do hope after my comment that maybe more will, I know there can not just be the few of us with this problem.
I have a dark color in my armpits and vaginal area too, and i am white as well. Its really embarrassing. Anyway my point is I have PCOS  polycystic ovarian syndrome. PCOS can cause a lot of different disorders..  high blood pressure, diabetes. Anyway when i had my blood drawn they noticed something weird with my sugar levels, but i dont have diabetes.  My doctor put me on birth control pills, told me that over time they would clear the discoloration up.. it has gotten better in my arm pits but not any better in my vaginal area. I guess it has something to do with insulin resistance. Im going to ask my doctor about metformin.. if anybody has a similar problem.. maybe you have some advice?
I have discoloration on my vagina. I am 17 and I am not sexually active. It is embarassing to know that here I am with high yellow skin and a dark vaginal area. i think maybe it is because I shave there. I wonder is there some kind of a cream to make it go back to it's normal color.