skin discoloration in armpits and vaginal area
I am white, and I have dark skin discoloration under my arms and in the vaginal area.  It is embarrassing to me to even go to the doctor to ask about it because it looks "dirty".  Is there any way that I can fix this problem or is it normal?
Pcos can cause a lot of health problem..i have darken skin too and i m having irregular mensus..and i m of course obese. And now i m diagnose as diabetes and on hypoglisemic drug...Try to reduce weight..it is easy to say than action..
You have to tell your doctor. That's the one person you have to be honest with for your own good. They see things live this every day, there's nothing they haven't seen. Dont worry about what they'll think of you.
Yay Professor Plum!  Thank you for the sane logical and kind response to the slew of our insecurities driven by an insane society that's become neurotic about the seeming perfection of women's bodies.  It never seems to end the cycle of which body part we should start worrying over and repair :(  
Thanks in part to the visual access of porn culture/internet, we now have a veritable library of vaginas to look at and compare ourselves too?!  Pop culture is ruining our psyches.
Really sick.
BUT what this post does show is how many women DO have coloring in the vaginal area.  So that would lead me to believe, it's normal.  As I was wondering at what level means it's normal or excessive?

IS there ever a point at which a woman should worry about this kind of thing??  Or are we just being inundated with body neurosis driven by profits and ugly industries???

Be well ladies....we are NOT wrong in who we are! We're just living in a sick society.  
Posts like ours show should you how many women DO have this which only proves how 'normal' or common it really is :D  
I have the darker coloration on my neck, under arms, and vaginal area too. I'll admit, it can all be a little embarassing at times, but I've started to live with it. I did decide to check it out, and I have to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one, and knowing that I'm not the only one I can be even more confident than before in how I look. I had a doctor tell me she suspected that I had PCOS which, from the sounds of it, could explain the discoloration.
At the same time though, this is clearly something really normal and affects many many many women other than just yourself. I'm not saying don't get yourself checked out, because if it is diabetes then it could be quite important to get that checked out. But at the same time, I feel it's nothing to be embarassed about. It's just a part of who we are. No matter what we are all women, we are all human, we are all beautiful, and we are all unique. So rather than try to hide what we have, I say take pride in it and think of yourself as nothing but beautiful. Because now that I have confirmation that it is in fact normal, I do not care.
brewed coffee?? or from the pack??
The condition is called Acanthosis Nigricans and it's pretty much dark velvety type skin in the skin folds and creases. It's caused by excessive weight or excessive weight gain too quickly. It pretty much can also be a pre diabetic type condition, especially if you are overweight and the fat is mainly around the stomach. Losing weight should help it otherwise hydrocortisone cream helps. To those that are afraid of talking to a doctor, don't be! They really don't judge and however bad you think your condition is, they have probably seen worse. Hope this helps!
I have the same problim the skin in my vaginal area is dark. I am only 16 years old and yes i am white and i have had this prblime be for i became sexual active and i was 15 when i became active. Im to embarrassed about it to go ask my mom or to even ask to go get checked out i wont even let my bf go any were near there during sex and i wont even let him kiss my stomach area abuve it. I just assumed that it was because of the fact that i do shave down there. And when i did notice it i though i was the only one but now im a little relieved that im not alone. But my question still stands is there any thing wrong with me????    
I am only 15. I'm white. I'm not sexually active. I'm a cross country runner and soccer player. I'm definitely not over weight, but I do eat a lot of junk food and sweets. I've noticed the discoloration for 2 years, but it has gotten to where my genital area is almost all dark brown! Should I tell my mom about it?
Hi, im 13 and have brown pachy  discoloration on the intersection of my thigh and vagina and on the vagina lips.
i have no idea what it is but i know I've had it ever since  i can remember.
i haven't to my parent and don't what to go to the doctor.( im very shy. )
so what do i do?

If you read some of the other comments you will notice that it happens to women of all races and colors, some more than others. From my own experience and what I've read, it can happens during puberity and menopause, and even though you have light skin its a matter of genetics coming from one or both of your parents, so far there are no real cures. You can try using skin lightners as I have once upon a time, but beware this can cause infections or make the problem worse. What has happen to you is normal, I don't like it but,  learned to embrace it. This has never caused to loose a man or not be able to keep one, its like it only matters to us women. Men either don't care or willing to accept us as we are.
Hi, was actually relieved to see your post, cz it made me feel im not alone. Im 22 years old. And have PCOS. I think its one of the most depressing illnesses a woman cold have. I was happy to know that you have two healthy children, cz Im feelin scared that this PCOSyndrome decreased our child bearing ability. In addition to that the excess hairgrowth is the major problem that i'm facing right now. How did you handle it??? Please let me know. cz im really desperate. I want to love my body, but im hatin it ryt now..
i have the same thing and it is embarrasing u shud consult the doctor just dont be afraid its for the best and it is better to show the doctor now than to show your partner then..
dr please tell me
if i lost my weight and i treated from the Polycystic ovaries
the skin will back to its own color ?!!!!!!!
The reason we have those is because all the years of shaving long story short. To prevent it from becoming worse its best to use hair removing cream. If you have to use a shaver use a gentle one or cream that prevents less rough in that area. Dove just came out with a deordorent that gets rid of the dark under arm marks (probably take a month max to clear). As for bikini area there are creams you could find like on Amazon not cheap tho.
I'm an Indian guy, my wife is Indain and I have had many Indian Girlfriends in the past and it's normal for Indian women to have Dark Vaginas. I am light skinned and I too have a Dark Penis. I happen to think that a Dark Vagina on an Indian Woman is extremely sexy and exotic!
I'm. 50 and now gave this discoloration going on I'm black and mine pinkish purple very weired looking haven't bern sexual active for some time now.
I dont think being overweight causes the discoloration at all (everyone comes in different colors shapes and sizes) For example men; some light complected men have a darker package from their actual skin tone and some darker complected men dont have a darker package than their actual skin tone and some do have it much darker ! I have had dark under arms and vag for as long as I can remember and I wasnt over weight before I had my 2 kids. Yeah it is exremely humiliating but I have to live with it :/  but my aunt claims that fresh lemon juice and baking soda make your darker areas(such as armpits elbows knees neck and around your vag) get lighter within time, recipe;fresh lemon juice and baking soda mixed into a paste rub on dark areas and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes do this on a daily basis until you see result. Ive never had the patience to actually try it but hey it might really work! Good luck to you all. :)
hi  vids10 iam also a indian girl who  has the same problem.......i am also worried about my vagina area.its is also dark and i am scared to get marry and let my partner see how unpleasant  it look.
Hi!

I'm so happy to read about the lemons :-) because a friend of mine told me about them helping with skin discoloration but i didn't listen but now i'll try again. thanks for posting.
The natural way to go about it are lemons and waxing. After waxing you will see the results immediatly dear.

I could've been a model too if not for the dark areas on my body, i was always so imbarrased. So not all models have perfect skin unfortunately but we women with this problem have alot of love so it balances it self out.
I have this too it's beginning to really get me down  I feel conscious wearing a bikini and l dont like my bf seeing that area as I am so embarrassed by it I am a 21 year old female and even though I have tried bleaching creams and things the darkness around my vaginal and anal areal seems to stay... Does anyone know of any sort of lotion or cream that can help I tried having waxes also as I thought shaving was the problem but that hasn't worked either :(
The darkness under your arms can be caused from shaving. It can be irritation from your razor & your deodorant. If you use limes or lemons (either will work because they have Citric acid in them) and rub some under your arms and avoid using deodorant. I know it sounds gross but a lot of the deodorant we use contains aluminum which doesn't help. You can go to the store and purchase deodorant that does NOT contain aluminum an that may help but rub some lime/lemon juice under your arms about 2 times a day. The color will begin to fade. Try waxing under your arms aswell it'll pick up any dirt. As for your inner thighs I have no idea I am too struggling with that problem aswell.
It's so embarrassing to talk about the discoloration near my thighs and around my vagina area.. I am 16 and overweight by roughly ten pounds. I weigh 124 pounds and I am not sexually active. I hate it because it feels like my area is dirty. My armpits are NOT discolored, not even slightly. My area is sort of a dark brown color and I even have a few brown speckles near that area. It really scares me! I heard that it may be a sign of diabetes, but it's confusing to me because diabetes does NOT run in the family and my diet is extremely healthy and always has been. My diet has always consisted of more than the daily servings of fruits and vegetables since I was young.

I'm scared to talk to my doctor about it because all the doctors I go to are so rude about my weight. And to make it worse, my parents are sooooo not friendly with my weight issue. They make fun of me a lot about my weight and so does my sister. There's not really another adult in the family that I feel comfortable talking to about my weight either. It makes me feel so scared to open up about this. I'm really scared though, could anyone tell me what may be wrong or how I can talk to my parents about this?
It's perfectly normal! If you were born with it or it occurred when you were young, don't fret. It's actually very common. If it is something that seemed to develop recently I would check into it, but honestly it's much more common than most websites would lead you to believe. If it bothers you a lot, it may only be dry skin. Try moisturizing with a safe, non chemical moisturizer like cocoa butter.
I am 34 and recently my partner noticed that inside my vagina has turned black,it looks like smudges,could someone please help as im worried,would like to know what it could be,please help!
Doctor,
          Im 28 m single not sexually active. I have been to the hospital and the doctor advised me to weight loss and vitamin c tablets for 1 month for the same problem, She also asked about diabetes and that i tested many times thats normal, please reply me and advice me better cure for this problem i will be very thankful to you.....Im so much worried about it. my email id is ***@**** thanx
I have dark labia skin since i was teenager but my armpit skin  was same with the rest of my body. My skin wast fair with slightly yellowish tone (east asian).
I think it's because most of my body fat stored at my butt and thigh. with those huge thigh, the friction between leg when walking will often happen... So I think's it's right to losing weight.
btw yeah I don't have a clue how come porn star have so fair labia maybe it just because the genetic or those skin bleaching agents.
thnks
you are exactly right pcos my girls and i have it and it causes discoloration check into it ladies alot of us have it and just dont know it that is why we have the discoloratiom
Hi I would like to know do you have a itch on your clit.  I have the same problem you have and my Gyn wants to do the same thing to me.  Yes I'm praying I don't have cancer.  
I am 17 I allso am over waight but sexualy active I allso have like boils on the black bits and I sques them and puss comes out of it dose anyone have this as well I any so ashamed that i think that's why my boyfrend for 1 year brok up with me plz I need help but ensnasesed to ask a gp
i too am darker in y vagina area n iam so self conscinous!i wont do certain positions with y boyfriend when its light im so embrassed about it.i tried all kinds of skin bleaching n scrub no lightening.im 30 n white female.im guessing it started when i was 25.wish it go away!!!!!!
What should i do? im 15 in the caramel skin tone and this really worries me. (the discoloration) i am overweight like ALOT but its distributed evenly sorta like i dont look fat but i weigh like 187 and im barely 5ft tall. Suggestions anyone
Hey, I have the same problem on my genital area, however I do not show discolouration on my neck or armpits (those that do should seek medical attention). I do that it's normal, since I am sexually active and the discolouration is similar to when my thighs rub together too much (overweight).  Soo I'm banking on rough sex and prolonged sex, since it wasn't always brown down there. Test it when you dont have sex for a long time. If it lightens... Now for the ladies who aren't and have had it since youth, seek a doctor or talk to your mom, may be genetically induced.  Good luck ladies. Best thing is to talk about it. And if you're embarrassed with your sexual partner, I'm sure they'll understand and it may better your connection through communication. If it's embarrassing and doesn't allow you to wear a bathing suit, seek a doctor. Otherwise, bleaching looks like the best option.
am so sadden 2 say i hav d same problem...as long as i cud remember,,,bLACK tights...but  i hav been using palmers fade cream for the pass couple months an it did alot of mprovement..blieve me when i say it was really dark between my legs an now i kinda hav a lil confidence to open my legs for my bf...try it ..phew an i wil continue 2 use it,,,take my lil advice an try...expecially all d young gals...u need ths...gudluck
For me doc. Last few years i have some rusher on my crotch between my legs and when its gone the black remain that have like stain. How can i regain my white skin in my crotch? Please help
I'm kinda light skinned, like a tan, but my vagine area is really dark, idont know why :( I'm not sexually active and I want to know if I can get rid of it, also my armpits, but I'm think that's cause I shave, I used this cream calledd nadinola and it helped my arm I'm not sure if I should use it on my vagina area... HELP?
I actually have the same problem and I went to the doctor to be checked because I was concerned and they told me it is called a skin pigmentation and it is usually caused in women overweight they gave me a piece of paper with ALL of the reasons that this may occur which is 1.Ageing 2.Regular application of talcum powder to the vaginal area 3.Diseases like cushings disease and acromegaly 4.Disorders in the skin,liver,intestines, or adrenal glands 5.Excess production of melanin 6.Gastric cancer 7.Heredity 8.Hormonal imbalances 9. Hyperthyroidism 10. Caused from Yeast infections 11.Malnutrition or deficiancy of certain vitamins 12.Obesity 13.Polycistic overarian syndrome 14.Shaving the vaginal area too often 15.Using certain (cheap) shaving creams and body washes 16.Wearing tight clothing or tight Underwear made from synthetic material. Those are ALL of the symptoms as to why skin discoloration takes place my doctor said its called a SKIN PIGMENTATION and it accurs in the neck,armpits and groin and there is pills and ointment your doctor is supposed to give you for it but if they don't then go to Google and search home remedies for vaginal skin discoloration and pigmentation and it also tells you the causes for it if nobody believes what I've said here today but thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this, god bless you all!!!
I also have the same thing and my doctor told me it is called a skin pigmentation and it occurs in the vaginal area, back of the neck and armpits and it can be curred by ointment from the doctor or certain pills from the doctor but if the discoloration is underneath the skin layer then there is no cure for it
There is. Go to Google and look up home remedies for vaginal discoloration and pigmentation and it tells you how to get rid of it and also tells you what all causes it
Ugh i just noticed this too! I hate that gray looking color. My Gynecologist has never mentioned any concerns though.So I am guessing it is normal! But Gross!'
OBTW my Ex Fiance always told me I had a pretty -----!
My daughter is 7 and also overweight .  very overweight.  I have also noticed dark areas on her neck. armpits, and between her legs .  I am writing u because I rread the comment that you posted and wanted to hear more about the metabolic disorder u mentioned ,  any bit of information  would be helpful.
I'm a dark skin girl I'm 49 years old. couple of Months while I was having my annual done my Dr. asked me what's with the discoloration. I'm like I don't know I don't look down there.  they could not tell me what it is they are guessing its vitiligo. it like all around the lips of the vagina  in the anus are turning pink.  should I be worried?
a dark skin lady
so sexy
Acanthosis Nigricans is a condition in which there is a development of brown to black markings on various parts of the body – most commonly the neck, underarms and groin
Hi Dr. my daughter has the issue only under one arm and there is a   pimples too, with dark patches under one arm only she has olive skin, she also has small  bumpy pin type marks in between her eye area and temple, plus whitish marks like milk spots on her face with some freckles why is this and what can she do to prevent them.  She is 24, will a scan show if she has polysistic ovaries, as she gets bad period pain and even though they did external scans they cannot do internal scans as she is not sexually active.  The only thing they detected was patchy liver calcification,
same here i have discoloration in my vaginal area and im 17 and not sexually active. i hate it and im embarrassed for the future and want it to go away. I also have the same discoloration problem with my armpits. i went to the doctor for it and i also had bad smelling in the armpit to the point where i would like smell like a dead horse. and i got prescribed this medicine that has made the discoloration fade and the stench go away (Thank God) and I dont want to use the medicine on my vaginal area because i dont know what will happen.
What medicine did they prescribe you with?