small bald spot on scalp

I have noticed a small (thumbe size) of baldness, hair missing on my scalp. I was told it could possibly be ring-worm, but I don't see a "red" ring on the empty little spot. Please let me know what you all think a.s.a.p. THANK YOU!
Hi, I got several bald spots on my head when I was taking bc pills, the hormones seemed to cause that on me btu it doesn't on many people.  Also alopecia can happen because of multiple reasons like bad nutrition, thyroid issues, major stress etc.
I got my hair back after I stopped the pills and my dermatologist injected by bald spots with cortizone and it took like 6 months for all of it to grow back getting routine shots on your scalp.  It hasn't happened to me again since stopping the pills. Go to your Dr.
I found out that I had the bald spots when I went to get a haircut and I thought that I had a terminal illness but Alopecia happens to some people, its an immune response to something in your body.  I actually went to two Dr.s and the first said "I need to make several tests on you to see what it is" but the second Dr. was like "whenever you loose hair is alopecia and there's different kinds caused by different things and the best way to treat it is with cortizone shots. However you still need to get the tests to see if there is an underlying cause for this."  So go tot he Dr. and if you are not satisfied with what they tell you, go to a different one.
Have you always had the bald spot? Did you just now notice it?
I just noticed the bald spot about 1 week ago. What could possibly cause this hair loss??
I'm 23 yrs old and I noticed 5 bald spots on my head. I am really scared that something might be wrong with me?? What can I do since I don't have medical insurance?
HI I'm 33yrs.I went to get my hair colored yesturday and found out I had a small bold spot behind my head. Is this uncommon? It is serious??
Since you don't have any medical insurance try looking at different hair care treatment products. My sister used Dr. Michael Clay's hair products, and it worked. Or try Dr. Miracle. I would suggest going to a beauty supply store and looking for items such as those.
Hi I am a 36 year old woman, and over the last 5 years I have been loosing my hair in clumps.  It did grow back so I didn't worry to much.  Until last week, I was styling my hair and found that it just would not sit properly. I found a bald spot down the middle of my scalp.  I had noticed that my hair was thinning, but not to this extent.  Before finding this I never really worried as I had frequent blood tests and full blood counts.  Please reply to this question.  Why would I have a bald spot? I have not changed any shampoos or anything like that, nothing has changed in my diet, I do straighten my hair with a hot iron with no extreme. Please respond.
I am 20 years old and have the bald spot going down the center back of scalp. I hate it so much and need to fix this! I am afraid to use Rogain, seeing as how its a life long deal once you start. Ideas anyone? I have always had gorgeous full hair, and I have changed my diet...is that the cause?
hello, i am on my mid 20's and i have the same problem on my scalp which is a small spot of bald at the middle of my scalp...any help or remedy for this please.
Hello there,

I'm not sure if this could be the same...

I notice a a small bald spot form on the top of my head by where my bangs started. I thought maybe it could be from straightening and having the hair get caught and being pulled out. I watched it for six months and then a raised a bump started to grow. I went to the dermatologist and she determined that it was a cyst and I had it removed. Unfortunately it created a scare so I am not sure if the hair will grow back but it is small enough where I can cover it with other hair. I would suggest having it looked at as soon as possible just in case.

I hope this helps! :)
I'm sorry mikee2009 the previous post was meant for you!
Im 19 years old. and sense my sophmore year in high school i have been getting random spots of hair loss on my head. it was worse in tenth grade but over the years has lightened, though it still occurs. i am now a freshman in colege and do stress out a lot mainly with my emotions.... could this be the reason for the hair loss??
:/ im worried it may be serious what can i do?
same here Whitster - did you find out what the solution or cause is?  I'm going to the doctor next week to find out since I only noticed it a couple of days ago but might've had this for awhile.  Will report back my findings.  Hopefully something fixable
i am 14 and i also have a Small bald spot close to my banges but covered up and it sonly the size of a penny and im going to the doctor next week to find out what it is :(  ((and i have not been taking ANY medications))
i am 16 and about 2 years ago i noticed a small bald spot in the middle of my hair, but by the time i finally got an appt. with the dermotoligst[about 6 months later] it had started to grow back, so we didnt worry and thought it was something to do with puberty and all. but just this morning i found another small bald spot on the side of my head, and i am going to make an appointment sooner, but what may be the cause of all this? and how can i fix it?
thanks so much! :)
hi i'm 20 years old and just overnight... i have a bald spot on the conder of my scalp the size of a half dollar.. it wasn't there yesterday.. it's here now... i'm so scared and there really hasn't been any changes in anything for me.. i've been on the same birth control for 2 and a half years, i've been eating the same.. i don't stress too much (or so i think). i don't know what to do.. my mom told me my uncle had the same thing and his grew back.. but that's a GUY! my hair is long long long.. i can touch my belly button with it pulled forward.. he's always had a military buzz cut.. how in God's name is it supposed to grow back like it was never there???
hi, im 20 years old & im 29 wks pregnant. i have atleast 12 to 13 baldspot on my head most of them are big size of 2 doller coin. i asked a doctor whats wrong, they had no clue they told they cant do anything cos im pregnant, does anyone know wuts wrong with me?...please let me know ASAP!!!
I'm a young woman, 21years old and for almost 2 years i've had those problems. Started out with a penny sized bald spot on the back of my head, then a HUGE bald spot of about the size of a circle when you put your thump and index finger together for the "okay" and sign. Then all that hair grew back. For almost a year now i've only had about a penny (or smaller) bald spot.  But within the last month or so, I have gotten about 5 different nickle to quarter sized bald spots all over my head.  None are visible unless I put my hair up for when i go to work because i have shoulder length hair.

I keep getting the run-around from doctors. Nothing I do to change my diet and stess affects the continuous reoccurance.  I have no known allergies, serious disease or "symptoms" other then the bald spots. I had gone through depression while recovering from an abusive envirnment when the spots started but i have been great ever since.

I'm not looking for a anyone to reply with what they think it is. I don't care about anymore tests. I just want everyone on this page to know that people WILL always give you the run-around.  
MOVE ON with life, you still have your face w/ or w/o your hair.  And if there is nothing we can do to fix or prevent it, just keep living. The only person who won't "like" you for you and your bald spot is you... so if you can accept that it may go away or may not, we ALL will be okay

Plus no one has died from hairloss!
I recently noticed two small bald spots on my head about the size of a dime. one on the left side of my head and the other on the back of my head. My mom said its from too much stress, so i researched it. HOPE THIS HELPS...

Alopecia Areata is a hair loss condition characterized by the rapid onset of hair loss in a sharply defined area. Any hair-bearing surface can be affected, but the most noticeable surface is the scalp. The reason alopecia areata occurs is not completely known. In some cases it is associated with other diseases, but most of the time it is not. Research is ongoing to determine the best treatment for this sometimes-striking disease.

Causes of Alopecia Areata
There are several different hypotheses as to what causes alopecia areata. Genetic factors seem to play an important role since there is a higher frequency of a family history of alopecia areata in people who are affected. Alopecia areata appears to also have an autoimmune factor causing the patient to develop antibodies to different hair follicle structures. Certain chemicals that are a part of the immune system called cytokines may play a role in alopecia areata by inhibiting hair follicle growth. Some studies show that emotional stress may also cause alopecia areata.
MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 34 YEAR OLD NOW , ABOUT THREE  AGO SHE GOTTON THIS BALD SPOT IN THE BACK OF HER HEAD, AND ONLY HER HAIR WILL GROW VERY LITTLE OUT, THEN BRAKE OFF ALL OVER AGAIN, THEN I PULL JUST ONE OF THE HAIR OUT FROM THAT BALD SPOT AND AS I WAS PULLING IT OUT THE HAIR WAS GETTING LONGER THAN AS I SEEN THE ROOT OUT , THE ROOT WAS LONGER THAN IT USELEY IS , ONLY TO NOTICE THE WHOLD ROOT WAS A DARK RED, ALMOST A DARK RED BLOOD COLOR, WERE LATINOS WITH REAL DARK BROWN HAIR, I NEVER EVER SEEN ANY THING LIKE THIS, SO PLEASE HELP US, FIUGER THIS OUT, PLEASE HELP US, I'M REALLY GETTING WORRY ABOUT THIS. THANK YOU SO MUCH, NOEL CORREA
adding to jerbear931

thyroid problems can lead to Alopecia Areata as well
I discovered a spot at the crown of my head one night while laying in bed playin with my hair. Had a mini-panic attack and went in to see my dr the next day. Dr explained it was a condition called Alopecia and had to be treated with cortizone shots as well. Hair began to grow back after first treatment. The shots were not very painful but did hurt/sting a little. For the person(s) without insurance, if you can afford to go straight to a Dernatologist and skip the general doctor fee. I was charge $75 for a 30 minute wait and what ha to be no more than a 5 minute visit just to be told to go to a dermatologist. I spoke to derm about financial situation and was blessed with a dr nice enough to reduce my bill by 50%. Also, I recently started using a hair treatment because of the alopecia spot and rapid hair loss due to the condition which seems to really reduce the fall out. You can find hair recipes with this stuff on YouTube and I purchase supplies at my local Indian market. I use Indian gooseberry powder known as AMLA and Vatika brand coconut oil mixed with water. Add water to AMLA powder (to make a paste or runny mixture to coat scalp an hair) and let sit for 15 or 30 mins. Then I add oil and massage scalp. The amla has a strong smell but try to keep in for an hour or as long as you can. Rinse and shampoo/condition. Hope this helps ladies. Keep your head up!
My daughter is 16 years old with Down Syndrome. We just noticed a small bald spot  top left of your head. The spot was not there last week. Help please, would like to  know before doctor's appointment on Monday night.
Hello! I am 21 years old and I have a bald spot on my lower right of my head! I believe its getting bigger because when I first was told by my hair stylist that I had a bald spot it was like the size of my thumb and now its a little bigger then my thumb. My stylist told me that it was of stress and that makes sense because I've been under stress for some time now. Someone posted that it could be because of thyroid issues and that got me scared because my mother has thyroid cancer and I'm wondering if theirs any chance that I could have thyroid cancer?