spotting between periods

I'm 32 and I've had spotting for 5 days and my period's not due for one more week.  I am not sexually active so I know I can't be pregnant. In the past, I've been told I had cysts on my ovaries (the kind that go away) and my doc didn't seem to be bothered by them.  Could this be related to that?  I feel fine -- just more an annoyance than anything but I wonder if I should be concerned? THe only other time in my life that I've had spotting is after a pap smear.  Thanks for your advice!
p.s. - I'm on the Pill -- have been on the same one for many years, if that helps any.
While i was in college (the first time, lol) i had that problem, was not sexually active, was on the pill (to regulate periods) and was spotting. The gyno put me on a stronger pill (made me nauseated for a while) but it worked.
Hope this helps.
Christina
I had spotting like that while I was on the depo shot (birth control) It has stopped since then.