spotting

I am spotting for around 4-5 days - sometimes longer_ before my period begins. Then it is so heavy. It started late this month. I had been hopeful I was pregnant but instead I am having a very heavy period.  My periods are usually 24-25 days in between but this time it was 27. We have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now.  I am also in my early 40s. Ugh
This is a sign of two things: hormonal imbalance or endometriosis. If you are over the age of 35, and trying to conceive, you absolutely need to see a doctor if it doesn't happen within 6 months. As I'm sure you know, it gets much more difficult every year past 35 and you may need medical intervention to make it happen. Good luck!