Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

taking provera while possibly pregnant?

I had my period March 24 and I have had 2BFN so I went to the dr. today and they gave me another urine test and told me I was not pregnant and it was not neccicery to do a blood test and gave me provera to make my period start.  I am scared that I am pregnant and it could possibly harm the baby.
10 Responses
130384 tn?1221596627
If you are pg, the Provera won't do anything.  It won't cause a miscarriage.  Way back in the day, they used to give Provera as a pg test - if you didn't start your period then it meant you were pg.
Thanks, I got on a site about provera and it said it could cause birth defects, but it was not a manufactures site.  This makes me feel much better.  If I am not pregnant I want my peroid to start so I can keep trying!
130384 tn?1221596627
I completely understand how you feel.  You should start your period a couple days after you finish your last dose.

Good luck!
102086 tn?1190513046
I was in the same situation at the end of March.  I missed my period in February.  I was suppose to get it again on March 21st according to my cycles.  Still nothing.  On March 26th took another HPT and still (-).  Dr. put me on Provera to start my period.  On March 30th something told me to take a HPT again and it came back (+).  I was so scared that taking the Provera for 5 days harmed the baby because of the things I read also.  Called the Dr. right way scared and she said there is nothing to worry about.  I am 8w5d today and so far so good.  Seen the baby and the heartbeat.  Good luck!
1 Comments
Hi Tamara, I am currently in a similar situation, I am worried since I read all these negative things on the Internet about taking provera while pregnant. I was 2 days in out of the 5 day cycle when I had a weird feeling to stop and I took a test and it's positive.. I already called my dr. And scheduled an appt. But I just want to enjoy the thought of being preg. Without worrying. My question is how did everything turn out for you ?

Thank you
-liz
Thanks, I hope my story ends up like yours and I find out soon I am too.  So you were still ovulating and not having a period?  I have also had a negitive test, but I just feel like I am.
I got preggers on Depo, teh needle. So if your lucky you will too...gl
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.