thick lining of uterus

I was diagnosed with PCOS a yr half ago. I'm positive my hormones are imbalanced, periods have always been irregular, heavy bleeding & clots. I've now been diagnosed with thick lining of my uterus, bleeding for over a month, almost 2, with light bleeding, not heavy, no clots. Bloated tummy, abdominal discomfort (not like heavy cramps). I am awaiting hear back on a referral to a Gynecologist, from what I was told by the referral coordinator could take 3-6 months to get into. I am 41 yrs of age.  Any ideas as to what this recent diagnosis could mean? What can you tell me about testing my hormone levels?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The anovulatory cycles associated with PCOS are the reason why your cycles are irregular and why the lining tends to build up. Women with PCOS do not produce enough progesterone to trigger ovulatoin and regular cycles (monthly periods). This causes the lining to build up / thicken. So when you do have a bleed, it can be heavy and/or prolonged and may have clots.

High levels of testosterone are also common in women with PCOS which is why they tend to have excess body hair, oily skin and hair, acne, scalp hair loss.

PCOS is not just a gynecologic problem. It is a condition of insulin resistance so has metabolic effects. I have read that losing 5 to 10% of your weight (if you are overweight) can be helpful in restoring ovulations and regular cycles. Otherwise, birth control pills are typically used to regulate the cycles, not only to make periods more predictable but, to prevent the lining from building up. This reduces the risks associated with a thick uterine lining, namely endometrial hyperplasia which can eventually progress into cancer (although hyperplasia is usually cured with progestins before even becoming cancerous). Metformin is sometimes prescribed for the insulin resistance.  
Helpful - 0
hi
I was recently put on Progesterone which is supposed to stop the bleeding. I took 1 tablet for 3 nights, & 2  last night took  as directed by my doctor. taking the 1 tablet for 3 nights, it minimized the bleeding. after taking 2 last night, i have increased bleeding this morning.
I am being sent to a gynecologist (& was told by my family doctor she is sending me there with a Hysterectomy in mind) after inquiring seeing an Endocrinologist.
I am worried about a misdiagnosis, being sent to the wrong doctor, & Cancer being the culprit in my system.
I am not sure whom I should be seeing in regards to a health professional.
Helpful - 0
I am not sure what to tell you about the progesterone. It should stop bleeding but I think you usually have to take it for more than 3 days.

I do not understand why your family doctor thinks you need a hysterectomy. It sounds like an endometrial biopsy has not even been done. And your chances of having cancer are probably pretty low. Many women in their 40's and 50's have thickened linings iand do NOT have cancer, or hyperplasia for that matter. And if a biopsy shows hyperplasia (abnormal cells but NOT cancer), then progestins / progesterone will usually cure the hyperplasia.  

With the GROSS overuse of hysterectomy (only 2% are done for a confirmed cancer diagnosis and 76% do not meet ACOG criteria), you may not want to see the gynecologist your family doctor recommended. The problem is that with the overuse of this surgery, you may see a few doctors and all would say you "need" a hysterectomy when you don't. And this seems to be getting worse with the use of robotics (they have to pay for those expensive machines).

I was "railroaded" into a hysterectomy 8 years ago at age 49. I am now suffering many of the medically documented health and quality of life negative effects. And they just keep piling up.

Our uterus, ovaries, and tubes have life-long, non-reproductive functions. Make sure you understand Female Anatomy and the functions of the female organs before you consent to gynecologic surgery. It is important that a doctor do proper testing to give you a diagnosis and then to explain all your treatment options. If you don't have cancer then a gynecologist should not even mention hysterectomy or ovary removal (oophorectomy).

Hope this helps!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.