too many periods

I am a 35-yr-old woman. 4 years ago, after the birth of my daughter, my cycle had gone all out of whack. Sometimes I will have it 7 days on-7days off / 10 days on-6 days off, etc.  I have tried switching my birth control pill about 5-6 times in the duration, and a few of them regulated me within 3 or months, and keep me regulated for a couple more months, but then it just goes right back after a little bit.
I have had pap tests, ultrasound, and nothing is indicating a possible cause. My doctor has told me that it is just going to have to be an inconvenience I will live with for the rest of my life or whatever. And ok, yes it is inconvenient, especially considering that I have now had my period for almost a month straight, following a 7 day break from the last one I had.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Best Answer
Well...see what this specialist says and go from there.

Keep us posted.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I have finally gotten to see another specialist, and he is going to an endometrial ablation and tie my tubes at the same time. As well, he gave me another ultrasound and pap just to make sure there's nothing going on there. Thanks, just wanted to give you a quick update.
Helpful - 0
thank you
Helpful - 0
TO EVERYONE OUT THERE WITH WEIRD, HEAVY OR PAINFUL PERIODS:  please, please, please get yourself checked out for "girl" cancers.  My friend was diagnosed with Stage 3C ovarian cancer at age 24, it metastasized and spread to her liver, GI tract and stomach.  She passed away right after her 30th birthday, the cancer never really stopped coming back and they missed the first recurrence with the CT scan only to discover a very faint cancerous area when they did a PET scan.  Her ONLY symptom was heavy and sometimes painful periods, which her OB/Gyn chocked up to endometriosis.  There are studies that show that these kinds of cancers are appearing in younger and younger people.  Please don't take a chance with your health--if you are worried enough to be posting on this board, it's worth it to rule out anything serious.  And if  you do have a girl cancer, insist on PET scans or whatever is the most sensitive test(s) you can do.  For those of you in the UK, all the insurance policies I have ever had here in the USA authorize pap smears starting at age 17, earlier if you are on BC or sexually active.  I did have to fight to get a mammogram covered at age 30, but I argued that I had lumps and needed it, so they approved it after that.  But I would pay for my own pap smear if you are worried about it and it gets denied.  If you can't pay, there are nonprofits in the USA that cover the cost of a pap smear for needy people.  Not sure if there are similar organizations in the UK.  But I think if all else fails, I would send the Ministry of Health or whoever makes those decisions the latest studies on early detection of ovarian, cervical and other "girl" cancers that show the earlier the better chance for survival, especially when the person is young.  Evidently ovarian cancer can be very aggressive in younger women.  My friend discovered her cancer at stage 3C.  That is advanced cancer.  Earlier detection by pap smear (which gave a funky result and led to an ultrasound and laproscopic surgery) might have saved her life.  Don't take chances with your health, especially when I know so many young women getting cancer these days.  Several friends have had cervical cancer, which a pap smear should reveal.  If not outright, at least the cells will appear abnormal and warrant further testing.  My friend wished she had known the symptoms and gone to the doctor earlier.  After the cancer was found the second time, she wished she had insisted on the PET scan.  These are not regrets you want to have.  Please be watchful!
Helpful - 0
I tried to book a new appointment with him, and it was going to be about 2 months to get in, so I just ended up going to the walk-in clinic and told the doc what was going on, and he gave me a new referral to another gyne. a woman this time (and who apparantly has a great reputation). Her wait list is about 6-8 months, though. But I am figuring that since I've already been dealing with this for 4 years, what difference will a few more months make, right? Especially if, in the end I'll be seeing someone who (well, hopefully, anyways) won't just give up on me. Thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it!
Helpful - 0
Well.....ask him and see what he says dear.  

Keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
I didn't mean that he for sure didn't know how to order one, I just wanted to go in kinda knowing what he should be ordering, so that I could tell him if he misses something. Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do.
Helpful - 0
Your GYN Specialist doesn't know how to order a female hormone panel?  That's not right.  You will be asking the specialist for these labs, correct?  If he/she doesn't know how to order a female hormone panel then I would HIGHLY recommend getting rid of this specialist.  

To add: there are DIFFERENT female hormone panels that can be ordered and this usually is the decision of the specialist as I can't decide that for you.  Well......with that being said, try asking for :  total estrogen, progesterone, free testosterone, pregnenolone, and DHEA sulfate.  GET THE THYROID PANEL DONE NOT JUST THE TSH.  The THYROID panel will include the T3, T4 and TSH.  

I am thinking you should just go ahead a seek another physician NOW and ask that one for the female hormone panel since this one doesn't have a clue.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks!  The encouragement helps me to proceed.
Helpful - 0
I know that I have had my TSH checked several times, I don't know about the T4 & T3 though. The results have never been out of the ordinary.
What all would be included in the female hormone panel, so that I know what I should be asking for, as he doesn't seem to know what to do about it in the first place. Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement. I knew I wasn't blowing things out of proportion, the doc's been starting to make me feel like a hypochondriac or something. Thx!
Helpful - 0
Well, I would say it is time to consult another specialist.  Before you do that, HAVE a FEMALE HORMONE PANEL drawn.......it's a basic blood draw BEFORE you walk away from this Specialist and go from there.  

Did this Specialist check your thyroid?  Labs done?  If not.....have a TSH, T3 and T4 labs drawn as well.  

As I stated, if this Specialist is NOT willing to do much more for you then find someone who will.  The "second opinion" should be an Endocrinologist.

This MIGHT be an Gyn issue secondary to an Endocrinologic issue.  

This ISN'T normal and you shouldn't have to live this way dear.
Helpful - 0
I would find a different doctor. one that just doesnt give up. Thats not good there are many reasons this could be happening and you need a doctor that is willing to help you :) Good luck and dont just settle for one Dr.s word keep trying to find a Dr that will help you :)  
Good luck keep us posted!
Helpful - 0
I have been seeing the specialist for over a year now. He has given up on me, says that it may be an "inconvenience" but it's something I will have to live with for the rest of my life, since my tests thus far have turned up nothing. I could probably just accept it and leave it at that if it was just a couple of extra periods once in a while, but this is ridiculous. I will have my period for 2-3 weeks then have a couple of days off then be back on for a couple more weeks sometimes. I'm so sick of it after only 4 years, I'll probably have a nervous breakdown over it by the time I turn even just 40. *frustration*
Helpful - 0
No, I do not believe that I have had hormones done. I have had both ultrasounds done, the only thing noted was little follicular activity
And yes, after 2 years of my GP not being able to figure me out, I was referred  to .an ob/gyn specialist.
Helpful - 0
Have you had any female hormone labs drawn?  

What was the US of?  Ovaries?  Abdomen?  OR was it a vaginal US?  

I am assuming you have consulted an OB/GYN Specialist.  Correct?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.