Women's Social Community
880 Members

What would you do ladies?

Here's my dilemma. I think I am pregnant. Still not 100% sure, but am pretty convinced. I have a beautiful 15 month old girl whom my husband and I absolutely adore. The thing is, I have a heart condition. I didn't find out until my second trimester just what we were dealing with, but my heart failed while attempting to deliver my daughter and had to receive medicine to get my started again. It would be incredibly risky for me to go through with another pregnancy. I have been accurately taking birth control and we always withdrawl, so it's not like I have been careless. I should also mention we were practicing these measures when I got pregnant with our daughter as well. I'm at a moral dilemma. I don't really believe in abortion, but then again I want to be around to watch the daughter I do have grow and get old and gray with my husband.

I'm just wondering what are some thoughts on this. What would you do?
That is a very difficult decision that you are going to have to make.  First I would make sure you are pregnant before stressing yourself out too much.  If you are indeed pregnant again, would a C-section be a possibility?  The main thing I can say to you is pray.  The good Lord will let you know what is right to do.  Keep us posted and I will be praying for you
thank you so much for your kind words. The act of just carrying a baby is too much stress on my heart. When I went to have my daughter my heart was so unstable they couldn't even finish administering the epidural because my heart was wacky, and I wasn't well enough to go under general anesthesia. So basically I felt every slice of the knife and every tug and pull and burn. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I wouldn't be very far along if I were, not sure it would show this early.

Thanks again for your response.
You are so welcome.  I did not realize that just carring a baby would be so hard on you.  I am so sorry.  How far along would you be?  Have you considered getting your tubes tied or are you hoping to try again in the future?  Can you take meds that would help you be able to carry a baby?  Please know that we are here for you.  Kasie
Don't stress just yet.  If your heart condition is that serious and you were able to get pregnant on birth control the first time, I'd discuss a better birth control method with your ob/gyn.  Good luck and all the best.
Look into changing BC as heart problems can be a side effect--just like strokes and blood clots.

Birth Control

Use of birth control must be tailored to a woman's specific type of heart problem. Women should discuss the best form of birth control to use with their primary care physician, gynecologist or cardiologist. Women with many forms of heart disease can use most of the effective methods safely. However, some women with complex heart disease, cyanosis, or pulmonary hypertension, should not use oral contraceptive agents. The reason is that they increase the risk of blood clots. Depo-provera or low-dose estrogen can be used in some cases. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) may predispose patients to endocarditis, an infection of the heart's inner lining or the heart valves. These devices generally aren't recommended for women at risk.

Pregnancy

Many women with congenital heart disease can have a successful pregnancy. Still, discuss this with your cardiologist before becoming pregnant. The changes pregnancy brings to a woman's body, particularly in the second and third trimesters, can make symptoms of congestive heart failure worse. They can also cause women who've had no symptoms to develop problems. For some types of heart disease, especially those associated with pulmonary hypertension or significant ventricular dysfunction, pregnancy creates significant risk for the mother. The mother's condition also can put the fetus at risk for poor growth or other problems. Many commonly prescribed heart disease medications pose added risks to the fetus. In many cases, women will be advised to have their pregnancy monitored by a high-risk obstetrician, often along with with a cardiologist familiar with their condition. Usually, babies can be delivered vaginally. A Caesarean section isn't necessary unless problems develop during birth.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11082

I have never believed in birth control because it is against my religion, but even the new low-dose BC pills are linked to heart and stroke problems as well:

Low-Dose Birth Control Pill May Up Heart Risk
But Researchers Say Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke Still Very Low for Most Women

By Salynn Boyles
WebMD Medical News

Latest Heart News
Defibrillation Comes Late in 30% of Hospital Cases
Restless Legs Syndrome May Cause Heart Problems
Study Shows Origins of Sudden Cardiac Death
Heart Procedure Reduces Defibrillator Shocks
Heart Attack Diagnosis Can Be Wrong
Reviewed By Brunilda  Nazario, MD
on Thursday, July 07, 2005

July 7, 2005 -- Low-dose birth control  pills are widely considered to be safer than the pill of the past, but a new review suggests that they still carry an increased risk for heart attack and stroke.

The risk appears to be quite small for most women, but it could be much higher for those already at risk for heart disease, researchers report. That includes overweight women at high risk for diabetes and women with a condition known as polycystic ovary syndrome.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47941
Thanks ladies for your thoughts and comments!

chigirl~ Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that wonderful information. I really appreciate it!

fungirl~ I wouldn't be able to get my tubes tied, due to the high risks of me being under general anesthesia. My husband agreed to get his tubes tied, but we are so devastated with the though of not being able to have another that we keep putting it off. There are meds that I can take to help control it, but for some reason all the pregnancy  hormones override the meds. There is also a high risk of low birth weight and preterm delivery. That coupled with the fact I have an abnormally small pelvis which further hinders the babies weight...I wonder what the outcome would be. My daughter was just over 5 pounds and she was almost term, my pelvis was just too small to accomodate a growing baby. And the heart meds would interfere with the babies heart rate. So I've decide to wait another week and take a test. I still have morning sickness and breast tenderness...maybe it's in my head...