granulomatous mastitis Community
302 Members

1st abscess burst

Hi ladies I am freaking out. I was cooking breakfast this morning for my son when I suddenly noticed blood only shirt. I have had severe pain and trouble sleeping for a few days now and just had 3 places drained only 2 weeks ago. My doc and I had discussed the possibility of this happening since we have drained this one place for months now with not much success and the skin was very thin. I am now oozing thick bloody fluid and can't see my doc til later this afternoon because she is the OR all morning. I cleaned it and put gauze on it for now and some ice for the pain. I am so distraught and discouraged how did u deal with this? What should I expect ? Any tips for care and healing would be great. Thank you
Oh Red I'm feeling sorry you have to go through all this but I know its really scary seeing it burst open for the first time. I had my first on burst on its own while the shower and as you mentioned it was that thick clotty blood coming out ( sorry TMI). I was scared too but I called my doctor immediately as I didnt know what to do next. She asked me to clean ot with Betadine (antiseptic solution) which I kept handy ever since this abscess series. And then do the gauze dressing just like you did. Basically you just have to try and keep it infection free untill you see your doctor. I went to see her the next day and she cleaned everything out by expressing it (I still remember the pain while she was pressing I almost drove out some of her patients waiting outside bcoz of my oooo aaaaaass and ouch :)).
      Having said that please keep it clean and visit your surgeon or doctor for the next step incase you need any meds or pain killers or antibiotics. Btw you did a good job dressing it on your own :)) coz I faint everytime i clean my own wound :))) and then my poor 4 yr old daughter start running around the house untill I come back to my senses. Good luck and take care.. Hope you feel better soon dear.
Sorry I forgot to mention she actually made a small cut there to drain out that thick clot because it wouldnt get aspirated with the fine needle.... Just been so many visits that i forgot why i screamt so much that day :)) it was that small scalpel cut she did . But many recommend not to do this cut business because of poor healing and scarring. But then for me it closed quickly without any anti biotics probably bcoz of my body. So you may expect this from your doctor too.. It will be your call eventually :) .. Tk care.
Oh I am so sorry.  I hate it when they pop, but then it is almost a relief when they do because it helps take the pain away.  There is a lot of good info on here from other ladies about using pantiliners in your bra and non stick bandages for the leakage.  I like to "milk" mine to help express the fluid and assist with draining.  

I think I might be the odd one out, but I just handle mine on my own and just clean them and use antibiotic ointment.  I did learn though that if they are an open wound you really do need to go to the doctor to have them pack it and dress it.

Good luck, it will get easier as you go.  
Hi Red -

Sorry this happened - I still remembering waking up to a soaked T-shirt and just being horrified the first time this happened to me - and then the big hole in your breast and it is now all emptied out and draining pus...not nice - it does get easier after the first one as you know more what to expect...

My recommendations are take showers, not baths to avoid any material getting in to the wound.

DON'T use gauze - I have had it stuck in my wound - others too, and #^&**** to get that out.

I recommend non-stick wound bandages from the health store, but others have said breast-feeding pads are more economical and work great.  Same with period pads....

Wear a tight bra even to bed to keep the pressure on.

The most important is to keep clean and watch for signs of infection.

The intense pain a couple of days before was always my warning - at least like Mom says, it does give pain relief when it bursts.

There have been a few members who manage their abcesses on their own, they clean them and pack them and even lance them...not sure if that is recommended but I guess they just get tired off running back and forth when you are feeling so sick.

I fear infection too much to do this myself.

Sorry for the shock, hope you feel better and things improve for you soon.  Your breast sounds really active and painful now.

Jo
I went to the doc this afternoon and she seems to think it my bodies way of getting the bad stuff out and this may be a good thing. The hole is pretty small about the size of a pen cap so no packing. She said to let it drain and just change the bandage twice a day and keep it clean. No antibiotics this time unless I develop a secondary infection. She did give me some pain meds thankfully. But I am on prednisone and methotrexate so she doesn't think it will really heal which doesn't make me feel very good. I have calmed a little from this morning but definitely a scary experience. I know its vanity but I hate what my boob has become and as a young unmarried mom I wonder what man will ever want to deal with this mess. It feels almost like an attack on my womanhood. Its just very discouraging. Sorry to ramble. Thank you for sharing your stories and for the tips I think I will be getting some breast pads tonight. I really appreciate u all its nice to have someone who realply knows what this disease is like.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.