granulomatous mastitis Community
302 Members

GM link to Staph???

Hey all,

So I apparently have had an untreated Staph infection since November (untreated because my doctor cultured it but failed to ever notify me of the infection...) I found this out, only because I went to the doctor because of some "agitation" in the same area (boil-ish type of thing, blistery, fluid, abscess - as it was called on my chart today) and the doctor I saw today, read it off in my chart (shocker to me)...

Well, I've made the mistake of researching staph infections and then of course, it got me curious as to any link or relation to my breast issues, and there's lots of articles that seem to think so in some way... I have to go see a specialist tomorrow (over the untreated Staph), and am making an appointment with my breast specialist IMMEDIATELY (mostly, because I can't recall what staph tests were done on my biopsies/cultures etc... I assume, that's a typical test done)...

Anyone? Thoughts? Been treated for staph before??

Sidenote: The antibiotics I was given for the staph are a tad skeptical, it's a lower dose and strength of antibiotics I previously had been on for 5 years on and off... and was on them when I was "diagnosed" with staph several months ago... So I'm a tad confused on that one.
Flucloxacillin is the drug of choice for staph infections. Dosing depends on length of treatment. so if you were being treated fr chronic infection, it would be 250 mg four times daily , otherwise 500mg our times. Sometimes co amoxyclav is given... and for MRSA ( methyl in resistant staph aureus) there are other drugs. I was given linezolid which had reduced my Haemoglobin to 8 and increased my liver enzymes sky high. They need to monitor your blood regularly with the latter. At the end of the day usually GM is an inflammatory condition and pus usually is sterile. GM may be triggered by bacteria but bacteria die usually with first antibiotics course...good luck. But you'll end up looking for other means as drugs don't  work in curing GM :)  
Btw, as a doctor ( ex clinician...who does research now) should not bad mouth docs but we are humans and make mistakes too..so use your knowledge, common sense and memory etc ( as you did) as much as you can when you go to a doctor. I had to correct my own doctors at least four times over 6 months! Otherwise I would have ended up in hospital when they forgot to monitor my blood while on linezolid!!
I was given Amoxicillan...
Lol what a doctor if he or she gave amoxicillin for staph!! It's usually specific for streptococcus , which is what causes respiratory infections( UTI etc) ! But I'm sure he dint give this to cure your staph infection . Maybe for a additional condition at that time? If he did give you Amoxy ( sure not amoxyclav?) you need to sort this with him...
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.