granulomatous mastitis Community
302 Members

New here and diagonsed with GM with abscess

Hello everyone, 
        I'm so glad I found this group have been feeling left out all this while. I'm 30 yrs old married and I have a 4 yrs 10 mths old daughter and I'm from Dubai. Have just been diagonsed with GM with abscess after almost 6 mths. It actually started as Fibrodenomas in April 10'.. That settled down with Evening Primrose and Vit E. 
       In Sept 10' one day I got to see this horrifying looking lump above the areola which was tender, sore and dark in colour. I visited a General Surgeon after 8 days (thinking it would disappear on its on in between). With 2 ultrasounds, 1 FNAC and a mammogram (BIRAD 3-4) it showed up as a large abscess which did not resolve with antibiotics. I had to undergo a wide excision biopsy in October 10' which revealed the case as Lympocytic Mastopathy (not much info on the internet). 
      One week later i developed a small collection of fluid on the lower quadrant of the breast. The surgeon made a small cut and let the fluid out saying it was a small collection due to the excision. Since then there is hardness in the area of excision and my entire breast looks as if there has been a massive earthquake on my breast :) with all colourful patches and the scar.
        In Feb 2011 developed another tiny bump 2 cms above the excision. Had an FNAC done and the culture showed no growth (culture never showed any growth for any of the abscess). Few days later my scar (from earlier excision) had two openings which was oozing clear fluid. 
       Had been very patient all this while and having a very supportive husband a daughter helped me through all of this. Meanwhile visited a Breast Specialist and took a second opinion on that excision done in Oct 10'. It showed GM with abscess which the earlier Pathologist termed as Lympocytic mastopathy.
      In March 11' again 1 week before my periods I developed another mass on the lower quadrant below the excision. Very painful (as always) , FNAC done. The very next day that area bursted out in the shower with clot of blood and lots of bleeding. Right now its been covered with a bandage and waiting for the FNAC results. So sorry for this ellaborate information.
     Right now I'm unable to decide on whether I should opt for Cortisone which the Breast Specialist prescribed for 2 weeks or just wait for inflammation to go on its own :(... 
     Hearing about all the side effects and long term effects of steroids I'm not really prepared to go through more effects elsewhere on my body.. Have gone through most of the posts on this forum and I really admire all the patience and courage that all you ladies have... Somewhere deep within I'm loosing it now... And hearing about steroids is making it more difficult for me to decide.
     Thank you so much for hearing me out and please need an advice on whether I should go for the steroids.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I also started using Homoepathic medicine for reducing the inflammation. I was hoping to wait untill it shows some effect before starting on the steroids. Am I making the right decision?? I'm so scared of steroids :( ..
Oh goodness.  I started the steroids yesterday and don't have any idea what to expect.  My dose seems to be low so maybe it will be okay...
@one_hot_mess --  hi... I'm so sorry dear I didn't want to scare anyone off the steroids .. I'm so sorry once again if my post has scared you :( .. Myself I'm so scared, confused, indecisive n etc.. You name the emotions and I have it :( .... Many doctors prescribe Steroids (i think thats the only remedy that works for GM) . I just didnt wanna regret later of not trying anything else before steroids. Eventually I think I'll have to opt for it too. But yes if the homoepathy helps me to reduce the inflammation in anyways I'll be keeping everyone updated.... Hope you feel better soon and happy recovery.

I too am not a fan of the idea of long term steroid use due to seeing my father on them my entire life. There are some newer studies out about using methotrexate but it too has its own list of side effects. I think there aren't a lot of options unfortunately and everyone's experiences though similiar there is no one size fits all treatment. I hope you find a treatment that works for you. I am still exploring options too I see a rheumatologost next weekto discuss them further. This group is extremely helpful and has been a blessing to me.
Oh girl, I so hear myself in your post. My GM was caught fairly early by comparison. With so little information out there it is difficult to have confidence. I find it much easier now that I have this group. Your body is in distress right now. It is frightening when the sores grow overnight. Your rupture sounded painful and messy. Unfortunately, I am coming to the conclusion that this is a malfunction of our autoimmune system. That means our body is not going to heal the way it has in the past. Now it is fighting against itself instead of helping itself. I decided to use the prednisone for my families sake. I have taken 4 days worth. I feel fabulous. I had no idea how crappy I was feeling. I think so many of the aches and pains that I thought normal are really not.  My wound is finally healing after 2 months of weeping. So, if the only thing that happens on steroids is that my wounds heal from round one...I am thankful. I understand that this is likely a chronic condition. I understand that if the symptoms return we may have to try something different. I do feel better knowing I have sisters that have gone before me. I hope this is helpful. We are sick. We need help. If we can heal, we might be able to find a way to manage this without all the strong medications. Keep reading...I think there really is hope.
Thank you so much Red and Pandora for your support and kind words.. At the same time feeling sorry for each one of us going through all this. Each one of us here has a new battle to fight everyday.. Right now I think its just going to be trial n experimenting to see what works n what doesn't ... Meanwhile spoke to the earlier histopath who declared it as lymphocytic mastopathy and not GM and she wants me to resend the slides for a third opinion... So this way everday something new comes up and then new confusions, new emotions and new decisions (which I hate errrrrr).... To add on to this parents and friends around creating a panic (thinking "u've got a tumor n cancer n blah blah blah").. Worst thing is that you can't even zip thier mouths up. Getting difficult to explain these kind of species around without sounding rude.. I wonder how all of you handle these discussions or questionaires... However I do understand thier concern towards me but what I fail to explain it to them is that " guys I'm already struggling with new lumps, new pains, home management and everybody's suggestion of changing doctors" ....
     Sorry for venting guys !!!! I think I'm sending the slides in for a third opinion..... Hoping someone somewhere finds a guaranteed cure to put an end for all of us suffering here.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.