Pregnant 36 yr old, trauma caused GM

Hello All,
It's been great to find this site and thank you all for sharing your experiences as its very helpful in understanding this condition and best avenues for treatment.
Two months ago my toddler fell on my breast, soon after it swelled became red and Inflamned and I was diagnosed with mastitus, with a round of anti biotics to follow. A few weeks later a lump emerged and my GP sent me to Wellington Hospital to the Breast Clinic where a core biopsy confirmed IGM. Very relieved to have a benign "lump", but perplexed at how a trauma could present an underlying issue. On my second visit, the surgeon suggested another biopsy, which I knew could exasperate my condition, he said there was no evidence to back the theory. Given the ultra sound proved no abscess or need to drain my breast I saw no need in the Dr poking around in my breast again do I asked him to stop. He then went onto suggest a General Anaesthetic to help clean up my lump. I was 32 weeks pregnant at this stage and understandably refused, due to surgery complicating my pregnancy and problems healing due to the disease. A second opinion by a female Breast Surgeon  confirmed I could wait till after the birth and that surgery was sometimes helpful and sometimes wasn't. My question is, is it sometimes the best course of action to do nothing? The surgeon said these things often grumble along for 2 years and die out. I think I'm willing to wait and see. Not sure if I will be able to breast feed from the effected side, but am willing to try. My breast has recently become lumpy and red around the site, does anyone know what exactly that means and how it's been treated? Is it an abscess? Thank you all for listening and look forward to hearing from you.

My opinion is that doing nothing is a really good choice, and it has worked well for me. For some women IGM does just go away on it's own...like you said, after a long period of time. One study showed that this happened in 50% of cases within an average of 14.5 months. For me, it has been almost 2 years (it will be 2 years in March). I still have lumps and pain that are worse sometimes based on how much sleep I have had, how well I have been eating, and whether or not I have been taking care of myself. I also still have a feeling of whole-body sickness - just achiness, headaches, and swollen and painful lymph nodes in different parts of my body. Those symptoms happen less now, but they do still happen. That part is really discouraging. BUT - I haven't had any abscesses since January of last year. That is a HUGE improvement. Also, there are times now when I feel really good, whereas before I felt sick all the time.

The redness and lumpiness that you have might be from an abscess; it is hard to say just from the description. I always knew when mine were abscesses because they would fill up and get bigger and bigger like a blister until they burst open. Some of us here have been able to treat the abscesses with a clay mixture that we put on top of the abscess. Generally, you should keep it clean. Also, some women here have been able to go in and have a doctor drain the fluid out. I never tried this, but I think it would help to relieve the pain.

If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help.

Jennifer
I think it sounds like an abscess you can get your breast specialist to do an ultrasound to see if there is fluid to drain. In my experience drainings helped the pressure and pain and healed easier than when they burst on their own. Also I like ice when its inflammed but some women prefer heat.

As for treatment its your decision and doing nothing is a valid and in my opinion brave option.  I choose meds specifically methotrexate after some research and am having improvement but its not for everyone and the drugs are monitored by my rheumatologist.  I also cut out caffeine and eat better. Do your research and decide what is best for u!
Thank you so much  for taking the time to respond, your feedback, knowledge and encouragement is most appreciated.
It looks like I have lumpy blisters coming up. A register in the acute assessment department for pregnant women said it looked ok, not hot or infected as such. I didn't realize flare ups like this are part of the illness.  Cabbage has been helpful and I'm keen to try the clay remedy. As far as not taking any action, while it sounds brave, while I'm still pregnant I've had no other option. It's great to know I can try both waiting or medication later on down the track if things worsen.
I went to seek out a rheumatologist recently, she knew nothing about my condition, said my virus that happened around the same time, was simply a virus. But interestingly I had ceased inflamed joints, huge painful lymph nodes in my neck, a temp and complete fatigue. It sounds similar to some of the symptoms experienced by others with immune problems. Once the baby is born and my system returns to normal post baby, it sounds like a good plan to find a immunologist. Strange the breast surgeon never suggested this as a avenue. Surely a surgeon isn't the only answer to this disease?
Thank you all for your help and I wish for all of you a recovery from this mysterious disease. Hopefully with forums like this it will give Drs a better understanding of the disease and a human perspective on living with it.
You are very brave! I am proud of you for resisting the surgeons desire to cut. It is very difficult to do when you want relief so badly. Baby's have a way of making us very brave. Jennifer is right, and I am sure you have learned much from her entries. 14 - 20 months with or without treatment. The accute times are the worst. Some women suffer much longer. My guess is that you had the condition for a while, it just had not flared. Stress and lack of sleep seem to trigger a flare up. Sleep, eating right, and medication can all work to give relief. If you feel free to share the general area of the world you live....some of us may be able to point you to experienced physicians. Seattle area people have a fine doctor that is somewhat of an "expert." There are others, and Jo Jo will likely be able to point you the right direction if you feel more comfortable contacting her privately.
My best to you as you fight this. Be comforted. While it can be the pits...it is very manageable.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the granulomatous mastitis Group

The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.