granulomatous mastitis Community
302 Members

What to do

In May 2014 I felt a lump in my right breast and have had ultrasound, mri and biopsy done and was referred to a general surgeon who did an incision and drained the abscess. This was the most painful experience I have ever had since it needed to be packed every day. I was referred to a breast specialist because the abscess kept coming back. The specialist told me I had granulomatous mastitis. I'm just so frustrated with my doctor because she doesn't want to do anything about my pain. I keep telling her how much pain I have but she ignores me by telling me to be patient and this might resolve on its own in about a year.
I don't know what to do, I have 4 kids and one of them is 2 years old and he asked me the other day if I didn't love him because I kept pushing him away from my chest which hurts when he leans on me. This is so upsetting for me I can 't even take care of my family because of my constant pain.
My doctor keeps telling me to take morphine for my pain. I don't know why this GM problem is being ignored so much and sometimes I think if I had breast cancer I would get more compation and care from my doctor.
I am right there with you!  Mine also started in May 2014.  I completely understand the frustration with the pain and lack of care that is offered for GM.  I felt like they were playing hot potato with me for months - no one considered my disease under their domain.  To some extent, that is still happening.  

Please check out our Facebook group - search for Granulomatous Mastitis and submit a request to join.  
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.