recovery after vitamin D deficiency Community
383 Members

Any suggestions for relieving the pain after starting VDD treatment?

I was diagnosed almost three weeks ago.  I went in for a regular check up. While I had been having random issues for years:
GI
Skin rashes/hives
Depression
Headaches
Bone and joint pain
Etc.
This appt was just to get established with a GP after moving to a new city. He ran tests for Vitamin D and my level came back at 7. He prescribed the 50000 iu of D2 per week for a few months. After taking it twice I began having extreme pain in my entire body to the point it is difficult to walk- I feel like my bones are going to break:(. I started reading and researching online and found I should probably be taking D3 and with magnesium so I've switched to that but the pain is just awful. 800 mg ibuprofen and heating pad constantly doesn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through this or how long will it take for it to ease off?  I've had many health issues over the years but I have never encountered pain like this.
Thank you!
you need to take some calcium too, if you don't eat enough. to be on the safe side try to experiment with low dose calcium 200mg. VitD and calcium are synergistic. not only vitD is needed for calcium but also calcium is needed for vitD metabolism (I discovered this the hard way).

best of luck
Only take D3 and take it daily. D2 is harmful.

D doesn't stay in the body so if you take it weekly your body will be on a roller coaster of ups and downs.

You need magnesium to balance the calcium that will be better utilized. It will also help with the anxiety.

Extra calcium is not good to take if you get enough in your diet. Too much calcium causes heart attacks and kidney stones.

Vitamin K2 (MK4) is needed to direct Calcium into bones and away from arteries/soft tissue. If you're on meds that conflict with K2, then you won't be able to take this.

Vitamin B2 and Boron might be helpful to work with the D.

Most people are also deficient in magnesium as well as D. Being low in B12 is not uncommon either.

It took at least 2 months to start to see improvements
I took 10,000iu of D3 daily to raise levels.

The first few weeks were torture with the bone pain.
Topical magnesium helped along with oral magnesium. Also Epsom salt baths/foot baths. I make Magnesium Oil and add it to lotion to apply. The 'oil' can sting the skin.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.