All Journal Entries Journals
Previous | Next

My story so far...

Jul 05, 2009 - 1 comments

Ovarian Cysts


Ovarian Cancer

Well, I have always been concerned about my health, turning to the internet and overreacting to symptoms that have turned out to be nothing or a product of my probably Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that I've suffered flare-ups of a few times since age 21.  Unfortunately, this time something is going on.

3 (maybe 4) weeks ago, I started having a strange headache and nausea.  The nausea was extreme in the morning and settle to a slight nausea the rest of the day.  I felt pressure all over different areas of my head, and one night one side of my scalp was too tender to sleep on.  Living in a new city - so went to a walk-in clinic.  Was given a muscle relaxer, which didn't resolve the problem.   Convinced I had a brain tumor b/c of the nausea being worse in the morning, so I finally got tired of suffering and went to the ER.   Received a brain CT which was clear.  Dumb me didn't think about the nausea being separate from the headache, so didn't insist on an abdominal CT.  Medicine given by the ER doc resolved the headache.  

Nausea definitely calmed down, but I was left with a feeling of fullness and still feeling unwell.  Overall abdominal discomfort, occassional gas.  Barely eating anything. Felt full all the time.  Sick.  Sometimes I feel like I don't want food, smells bad.  Saw an internist the next day who dismissed my fears of ovarian cancer and sent me for an abdominal ultrasound.  Unfortunately, this ultrasound only was from the bellybutton up.  Was clear except for a gallstone.  Without seeing me again, she referred me to a general surgeon who wanted to take the gallstone out.  I really wasn't convinced b/c I didn't think I was having traditional gallbladder attacks.  Normal cbc, live function, h. pylori.

Next stop: gyno. Really nice guy.  He found an enlarged uterus.  I was a little surprised because I've always had normal exams.  Doctor sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound.  I could tell the tech saw something - she took pictures of one side more than the other and pushed down on my belly during the transvaginal ultrasound on that same side.  This was Thursday afternoon - Friday was a holiday so I won't know anything til tomorrow.  

I relaxed a lot this weekend and didn't worry too much, thanks to the support of a forum member, my best friend, and my parents.  Of course, I started being constipated this weekend!  Just annoyed because I felt like I could be further along in knowing what is going on if I had made a different decision here or there at some point in this process.   *Sigh*

Dreading tomorrow and the expected phone call.  Worried they will forget to call me!  Have my mom on standby to my new city if I am going to have surgery.   Will update tomorrow when I (hopefully) find out the results.  

Post a Comment
483733 tn?1326798446
by TrudieC, Jul 05, 2009
I'm rooting for you and you are giving me flashbacks to what I went through a little over a year ago.  The waiting is the worst.  I suspect that you will have some level of relief when you hear your results on Monday.  Just knowing what you're dealing with makes a difference.

Post a Comment