Feb 17, 2015
So here's the journal. Yesterday was one of those days I would've loved to go back to bed and start the day over again.
Monday morning we woke up to frozen taps. Yes again!
So we had a hole cut around the pipes from the day before from frozen pipes in our cupboard. So we put the hair dryer to the pipes again.
One minute it was fine, and the next there was flames coming out of the hole. It was literally that fast! DH was down in the garage puttering around in the cold. I yelled down to him to get up here and said we were on fire. I get on the phone to 911. DH started putting some water in the hole. I get off the phone and DH says to get some warm clothes and coats, boots on the boys and get outside. So we get all that stuff on in a hurry and I grab the truck keys. I put the boys in the truck and turn it on so they stay warm. I could see on their faces the looks of worry and concern. Even Preston looked scared.
The firetrucks were here very quickly. Though it seemed like it took forever. The amount of people running around (tenants, firefighters, police, paramedics), it was chaos. Everyone in the building was evacuated for safety reasons because at that point no one knew where the fire had spread too.
Our neighbour across the road came over to see what was going on. And he offered to let us come over there and get warmed up. So I took the boys over and we got warmed up. Gave me a chance to call our insurance company to let them know what happened.
I find out afterwards if it hadn't been for DH's quick thinking of using the fire extinguisher, we would've been homeless. The fire marshall even said that. Thank God he had his head on straight and was using it.
So after awhile the boys and I go to another friend's house cause we didn't wanna stay across the road all day as they have a 3 month old. We get there and we were sitting at her dining room table, and about 20 minutes later she's looking out the window and wonders why she sees flashing lights next door. She gets up and looks, and there's firetrucks in the next door neighbour's driveway. They had a chimney fire! I swore I was bad luck yesterday!!!
The firemen had to bust open the livingroom wall with the axe because they had to find out where the fire went. So we have a huge hole in our wall. And they also had to bust open the door of the guy next door cause he wasn't home at the time and he's the only one with access to the attic. They had to go up to make sure there wasn't any fire up there.
Fortunately the damage was fairly minimal because of DH's fast thinking, so we were able to come back to the apartment. But it was a little stinky in here from the fire, so there was a cleaning crew here yesterday cleaning up the drywall mess and a crew was here today cleaning walls and floors and cupboards.
You have no idea how thankful I am that damage was minimal and we all got out safely. We were so close to losing everything. If we had waited like a few minutes more, I'd be telling a totally different story.
So please please please everyone make sure you have working fire alarms, fire extinguishers and pay that little bit extra for contents insurance if you rent. Possessions are replaceable, but people are not. This experience has given me a whole new perspective