All Journal Entries Journals

September 2010 update

Sep 07, 2010 - 1 comments

So, after being on both Avonex and Copaxone and having relapse after relapse, my neurologist and I have decided to try Tysabri. It's scary as hell considering all the side effects and other issues, like PML, that can come about because of the use of Tysabri. The benefits, at this point, outweigh the risks. I was screened for the JC virus, which came back negative, and that put me in a very low risk category. I only plan on taking Tysabri for 6 to 12 months, because after 12 months is when the risk of PML becomes much more real. Right now, I'm not really sure what I'll do after Tysabri, but maybe this will help stabilize my disease progression to the point where another DMD will be effective.

Comments
Post a Comment
559187 tn?1330782856
by Sarahsmom46, Sep 07, 2010
Jason,

I'm sorry you had to resort to Tysabri and that the other's didn't stop the progression, but on the bright side at least there is another option right.  Did your doctor talk about clinical trials? There are combo drug trials out there that could be another option.

Do you know when you will make the switch to Tysabri?  I hope you get good results from it even if you only plan to stay on it for the next several months.  

Thanks for sharing this update with us.  Please let us know how the treatments  go.  

Take care.

Julie


Post a Comment