All Journal Entries Journals

January/February 2012 IVF Cycle

Feb 19, 2012 - 6 comments

January 9, 2012 - AF arrived. Cycle day 1.

January 11, 2012 - Baseline ultrasound. Everything looked great. Was extremely relieved that there were no cysts to delay the IVF process. Started taking BCP.

January 18, 2012 - Had HSN to make sure there were no polyps or anything else that could affect implantation. Doctor said everything looked perfect.

January 19, 2012 - Went with DH to RE so he could turn in a sperm sample for freezing. We also signed the consent forms.

January 30, 2012 - Another baseline ultrasound. Everything was fine. Started doing daily 10 unit Lupron shots at 8:30 pm.

February 1, 2012 - Took last BCP.

February 4, 2012 - AF arrived.

February 7, 2012 - Another baseline ultrasound. Doctor said everything looked good and I was instructed to start stims on Feb 12.

February 12, 2012 - Started doing 75 IU shot of Follistim and 75 IU shot of Menopur at 7:30 am and then again at 7:30 pm. Continued doing Lupron shots but cut dosage to 5 units.

February 15, 2012 - Had first ultrasound to see how  I was responding to the stims. Doctor said my lining looked great. I had a total of 12 follicles (5 on the right and 7 on the left) and doctor said they were the size that he would expect them to be. He was very happy with how I was responding to the stims.

February 17, 2012 - Had second ultrasound to check on follicles. Doctor said my lining was still great. I now had 20 follicles (8 on the right and 12 on the left). My biggest follicles were at 12.5. Again the doctor was very happy. He said that I should come back Monday and that I should be doing the trigger shot either Monday night or Tuesday night, but most likely Tuesday night. That would mean retrieval either Wednesday or Thursday. I was previously told I will probably do a 5 day transfer which will most likely be either Monday the 27th or Tuesday the 28th. They drew some blood and said they would call me if I had to change my dosage. The nurse called and told me I can stop doing one of the Follistim and one of the Menopur shots starting the next day and it didn't matter if I dropped the morning our evening shots.

February 18, 2012 - I dropped my morning shots and did all three of my shots (Follistim, Menopur and Lupron) at 8:30 pm.

Next ultrasound and blood work is Monday, February 20 at 7:50 am. I am feeling very good about everything. My first concern was whether I would have cysts or polyps that would delay the IVF. My second concern was that I would not respond to the stimulation and get enough follicles. Now my next hurdle is making it to retrieval day and getting a good amount of good quality eggs. Of course than the next hurdle is seeing if the embryos make it to 5 day blastocysts for the transfer. Then of course it is the 2ww to see if the whole process was a success. Oh, and of course I like most women am hoping that some of the blastocysts can be frozen.  

I am staying pretty positive through this process, even though I've been a little worried each step of the way. I know that they put the odds of a successful IVF at under 50%, but I still am feeling like as long as I have blasts at day 5 and they can successfully transfer 2 of them, then my chances are really good. I was having trouble conceiving and I am pretty sure that I have an issue with the sperm getting to the egg. I successfully conceived with both my IUIs. I know that my first m/c could be due to a bad egg, but I strongly believe it was caused by my progesterone being low and I think it was low because the clomid delayed my ovulation by one week. My 2nd IUI failed because the egg implanted in my tube. These 2 IUIs have proven to me that I can conceive. I know that low progesterone won't be an issue this time because of the lovely supplements I will be inserting and the doctor said the odds of an ectopic when doing IVF is only 1%, so I feel that as long as they can successfully transfer 2 5-day blasts than I will have a very good chance. I know that if I get my hopes up I run the risk of being very let down if this fails, but I strongly feel it is more healthy and productive to stay positive and be hopeful. Stressing too much or thinking negative thoughts would be worse and would make this whole process much harder to get through. So from here on out I will of course worry a little bit, but I will be thinking mostly happy positive thoughts.

February 20, 2012 - Had my final u/s to check follicles. Doctor counted 9 on the right and 19 on the left. Unfortunately I missed hearing the sizes of the biggest follicles when he told the nurse because I was still in shock over that number 19. I wish I would have asked how many of these follicles he thinks will be big enough at retrieval time. I have to do a 50 IU shot of follistm tonight and the 5 units of Lupron. I don't have to do the Menopur anymore which I am grateful because sometimes that shot burns. I found out I continue the Lupron shot even after the retrieval which shocked me but I don't mind much because that shot is a piece of cake. Tomorrow I do the trigger shot at exactly 9:00 pm. Wednesday I start taking my doxycyline pills twice a day. I need to be at the clinic by 7:30 am on Thursday for egg retrieval. The nurse said she would call me on Friday to let me know how many eggs I have. I hope she meant how many fertilized because I assumed they would tell me after the procedure how many they retrieved.

February 21, 2012 - Did my trigger shot at 9:00 pm. I barely even felt it going in but boy was I sore in that area the next couple of days.

February 23, 2012 - Had my retrieval. The nurse informed me before the procedure that my ovaries were about the size of golf balls. The retrieval went smoothly and I did not have any pain or discomfort afterwards. I just felt a little pressure around where my ovaries are and I was very sleepy all day. I found out after the procedure that my doctor had been considering not allowing me to do the transfer right away because he was worried I might be too over stimulated. When the nurse told me they retrieved 20 eggs she also said the doctor has decided to allow me to go ahead and do the transfer. That was the first I heard that there was a possibility I wouldn't be able to do it. I guess he didn't want to worry me which is probably good because that would have stressed me out.

February 24, 2012 - Found out that all 20 of my eggs were mature and all 20 fertilized and 12 have become embryos. I was concerned about 8 being a large number of eggs to drop off, but the nurse said this is a very good result and I should be very happy about it. Because of the weekend, I won't get any updates on my eggs until Monday when they will also be letting me know what time Tuesday my tranfer is scheduled. The nurse also had no info on the quality of my eggs so that will have to wait until Monday as well.

February 25, 2012 - I decided to sneak in an extra acupunture appointment after all the concern of me overstimulating. I went into my appointment feeling a bit stress and afterwards I feel like I have not a care in the world. I love acupuncture!!!

February 26, 2012 - I received a call from the nurse. They checked our embryos today. She said that they rate the embryos either Good or Fair. All 12 of our's are Good. She said that 8 are at 8 cells, 4 are at 6-7 cells and that all of them have perfect symmetry. She also said that we will probably have some to freeze. I am so relieved to hear this. I didn't think I would hear from them until tomorrow. The transfer is scheduled for Tuesday at 8:15 am. I need to have a full bladder for the procedure. She said I needed to be full but not feel the urgent need to go. I need to stay full through the procedure then I need to lay still for 20 minutes which she said will be hard to do if I really have to go to the bathroom. This does not sound like an easy task to me because I have had to do this for ultrasounds and once the ultrasound is done I really have to go and can't imagine waiting 20 minutes. She said that if I drink a lot today and tomorrow than it should be easier on me on Tuesday because I won't be dehydrated and it will take less liquid to fill my bladder. She also said stick to water because there is usually less urgency with water. I hope I can get through this procedure without having an accident. Yikes. I am going to put this out of my mind and just focus on the fact that right now I have 12 wonderful embryos.

February 27, 2012 - Took the day off work so that I could be stress free and relaxed for the transfer on the 28th. I went grocery shopping and bought a bunch of healthy food and snacks. Treated myself to a mani/pedi. Then I had my pre-transfer acupuncture session.

February 28, 2012 - I had to drink 12 ounces of water before heading to the clinic per the nurses instructions. They need a full bladder for the transfer. I got to the clinic and I already felt misserable and had to go so bad. They took me to the washroom and told me to go a little but not all. That wasn't easy. Then we met with the embryologist. She said all 12 of our embryos were still beautiful and that they were going to transfer 2, try to freeze 5 that day and let the other 5 cultivate for another day and see if they were worth trying to freeze. She didn't tell me the quality in numbers like I see some women find out and I didn't ask because again I had to pee so bad I just wanted to get on with it. They actually took me to the washroom 2 more times to pee a little before the procedure. I was so sure I would not have enough in my bladder but the nurse said I was perfect so we were able to proceed. The procedure was very quick and painless (except for the nurse pushing the ultrasound machine on my full bladder). The doctor commented that it had all gone very well, wished me good luck and then they left me to lay in the room for another 20 min. By the time they got me I thought my bladder would burst. My DH told me that the doctor stopped to see him and told him it went really well. He also said something to the effect of that he thinks our odds are really good. My husband couldn't remember his exact words. Something like that I would have memorized word for word. I spent the rest of the day and evening on the couch with my feet up relaxing, watching tv, reading and playing video games with DH. DH got me lunch and dinner. He has started referring to our 2 embies as Raven (after his favorite super hero from Teen Titans) and Fry (after his favorite cartoon character from Futurama). I don't have any pain or cramping so far. I am continuing to stay very positive.

March 7, 2012 - I had been planning to wait to test until the weekend. I didn't want to test in the morning and then head off to work and be stuck in my office all day. I wanted to have the freedom to celebrate how I wanted if it was positive and to get over it in my own way if it was negative. On my lunch break I got the overwhelming urge to test. I told my hubby that if I test now I will be so happy if it is positive and if it is negative I will just blame it on the fact that it wasn't FMU. I was so nervous that I was shaking when I was taking the test. BFP!!! It came up positive immediately and the line was very clear, no doubt about it. I ran out of the bathroom to show my hubby and celebrate a bit with him and then of course I had to take a picture of it. Despite my experience of the blighted ovum after my first IUI, I am staying optimistic that this pregnancy will be successful. With the IUI my progesterone was low and now I am on the pogesterone supositories. Also, I feel that doing the 5 day transfer they were able to pick out the best embryos. Now I wait until Monday for my beta.

March 8, 2012 - I took a digital pregnancy test and got another BFP at 9dp5dt. I did this because I wanted the extra reassurance and also because I wanted to see the word "Pregnant."

March 9, 2012 - At 10dp5dt I took another First Response dye test. I wanted to make sure it was darker than the test I took two days before. This time it was as dark as it could get. Even though I was pretty sure the hcg from the shot was out of my system, this makes me 100% positive. Yay!!!

March 12, 2012 - 1st Beta = 2,081

March 14, 2012 - 2nd Beta = 4,400. The nurse said she couldn't say for sure but if she had to guess she would guess I am pregnant with twins. My first u/s is on the 26th. I am nervous, but still pretty optimistic about this pregnancy.

March 26, 2012 - Had my first u/s and it went great. I am having twins. The doctor said that both babies are the perfect size and perfect heart rates. He said they are almost exactly the same size and heart rate. He told me that all my hormone levels are great and everything looked perfect and he believes my chances are great for carrying to term. Than they gave me a cute little book with info for each trimester that had a pocket for the u/s photo. He released me so I will call my obgyn tomorrow to schedule my first appointment with her.

Post a Comment
1118302 tn?1422495161
by yoha919, Feb 19, 2012
i believe this is your year! good luck everything s on target.

1507497 tn?1357173056
by Keith_Cheggers, Feb 23, 2012
Just commenting on how the nurse sails how many eggs.  I'm sure everywhere is different, but as soon as they woke me up after ER the first words out of my mouth were "how many?" ha ha!  And they told me right then.  And then called the next morning with the fertilized number.  So I'm sure that's what she meant.  God luck!!

1507497 tn?1357173056
by Keith_Cheggers, Feb 23, 2012
Sorry typing on my iPad!!  Grrrr! The nurse said not sails!  And good luck!!! :)

1422615 tn?1334064234
by rmmoye, Feb 23, 2012
so what were your results? i cant wait to hear.

1473300 tn?1397588529
by renny320, Feb 23, 2012
They were able to retrieve 20 eggs. I am thrilled with that number but I know it is quality that matters most. Now I wait until tomorrow to find out if they fertilized.

590782 tn?1351704524
by claud9, Feb 23, 2012
WOW that is great, I am sure that you will have some good ones! Good Luck!

Post a Comment